Astrology Page 7

My sister does Tarot reading

She sort of starts the intro "I'm not mystical, the card won't tell you anything but I can give you some sensible advice."

She is very succesful and in demand at it.

Pretty much.

Look the punters choose her

"You seem tired? Why don't you go on holiday or get some sleep over."

over

"The death of cups, you have an excess of thermic energy in your spirit pocket. You should write a poem to Gaia."

And like Andy Warhold says you can tell your succesful when you're making money.

Piers Morgan says something similar.

I know that some people will believe in astrology and that's OK by me (magnanimous eh?) but there is so much I find flawed with the whole astrology thing.

Even as a kid I remember Sir Patrick Moore, as gentle a soul as ever was, going apoplectic when somebody referred to him as an astrologer. He gave them no small bollocking. I was shocked.

Leaving aside the dubious science for a minute I just find the unpleasantness, questionable practices and the total shitery that surrounds the whole commercial side of this 'business' extremely questionable; right up from a bit of fun in the papers (I'm as guilty as the next man of reading this the odd time btw) through to the Hollywood celebs personal astrologers. These two examples are fairly harmless I suppose, as one is free and the other is at the discretion those happy and rich enough to fork out for it. If they're that daft then, what the hey?

However the worst of the lot are those who prey on the vulnerable, quite often lonely and or bereaved. These are scam artists whose remit is to keep poor schmucks glued to the end of a phone that's costing them extortionate premium call charges.

If it wants to be taken more seriously perhaps Astrology might start by attempting to discredit this very questionable arm of its public activity. I see people from astrological representative agencies taking umbrage about what Dara O'Briain or Prof. Brian Cox might say concerning the validity of their science, but never see them keen disassociate themselves with the more dubious elements of it.

Quote: Griff @ February 9 2011, 11:21 AM GMT

:D

P.G.Wodehouse used to say exactly the same.

To the local SS?

Sorry I kid, I kid.

It's amazing how much people benefit from a bit of been listened to. I swear the whole basis of homeopathy is some one listening to you for an hour, telling you your problems aren't your fault. Then giving you some pills to make you feel better.

(oh and to you numpties who want to point out it works on horses, neeeiiiggghhh the horse is responding to a happier more relaxed owner)

My problem with a lot of the anti-astrology brigade is that it smacks of patronising liberals deciding what's best for everyone else.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ February 9 2011, 10:43 AM GMT

No it isn't illogical nor irrational. You and others are choosing to view life from a very hardened physical phenomena point of view. With this very rigid and closed off stance, I guarantee you that humanity would not have advanced in the way it has!

Feel free to believe what you like, as long as you're happy. It's bollocks, but it's up to you.

Quote: Blenkinsop @ February 9 2011, 11:28 AM GMT

However the worst of the lot are those who prey on the vulnerable, quite often lonely and or bereaved.

You might like this little BBC expose of Indian con artists posing as holy men with supernatural powers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2Kz8FzruvQ

Sorry, Indian skeptics exposing the tricks of holy men.

Quote: chipolata @ February 9 2011, 11:36 AM GMT

My problem with a lot of the anti-astrology brigade is that it smacks of patronising liberals deciding what's best for everyone else.

I have some shares in a goldmine if you're interested. Only £5,000 to you squire.

I take pay pal. ;)

I don't think so, I'd say for most of us it's just saying 'but this is balls, isn't it?' It's not about patronising people, it's about pointing out facts. If they choose to believe in it, fair enough, I wouldn't want to stop them, if it makes them happy. Some people believe that Derek Acorah can talk to the dead; he can't, but if someone decides that he can,it's up to them.

I'm not anti-astrology, I couldn't care less about it really, but if someone brings it up I'm not going to pretend it's not bollocks.

Somebody has to.

One of the roles of any just society is to defend people from their own stupidity.

That or at least make villains plain dealing villains.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 9 2011, 11:39 AM GMT

No, for most of us it's just saying 'but this is balls, isn't it?' It's not about patronising people, it's about pointing out facts. If they choose to believe in it, fair enough, I wouldn't want to stop them, if it makes them happy.

You wouldn't want to stop them but you would like to endlessly point out that they're thick headed idiots for believing such guff, thus reminding us how clever and above it all you are. Godot was right about you and the passive aggression, Stott. ;)

Quote: chipolata @ February 9 2011, 11:45 AM GMT

You wouldn't want to stop them but you would like to endlessly point out that they're thick headed idiots for believing such guff, thus reminding us how clever and above it all you are. Godot was right about you and the passive aggression, Stott. ;)

Don't be an arse. It's pretty clear what I meant. If they want to believe it, go for it, if they ask me about it, I'm going to say it's bollocks.

Quote: Blenkinsop @ February 9 2011, 11:38 AM GMT

I have some shares in a goldmine if you're interested. Only £5,000 to you squire. I take pay pal. ;)

You go on about astrologers as if there's swathes of them roaming the country bilking millions of pensioners out of their savings.

Funny how our enlightened society condemns discrimination based on things like your colour or sexual orientation, but hasn't yet properly condemned the practise of prejudging people based on that other accident of birth, the time you exited the womb. It's not just superstitious nonsense, it's prejudice comparable to racism.