The Green Green Grass - Series 4

Series 4 kicks off tonight at 8:30pm on BBC One, with an episode entitled The Path Of True Love. Rather looking forward to it.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/the_green_green_grass/episodes/4/

Can't say I'm sold on the notion of Thursdays as comedy night though.

This is on series 4? I didn't think it had been around that long!

Yes, I keep thinking it's still only series 3 as well!

I for one am not looking forward to it. I will not be watching it. I think I will put a bit of the show it spun off from in its prime (series 2 and 3).

Oh by the way, is it written by John Sullivan tonight, as The Path of True Love is a title of a classic episode of Citizen Smith, which Sullivan wrote?

I dunno. You'll have to tune in in 3 hours to find out. ;)

Not too bad an episode. Some very good lines. Fairly solid start to the series, consistent with previous ones.

And it was written by Jim Sullivan.

Quote: Aaron @ January 8 2009, 9:25 PM GMT

Not too bad an episode. Some very good lines. Fairly solid start to the series, consistent with previous ones.

And it was written by Jim Sullivan.

Yes, all hail nepotism.

Did he (Jim Sullivan) not play the guitar on the Bay City Rollers TV show several centuries ago?

On the actual show itself, I gave up the ghost on this about ep 2 of series 1. I'm a big Sullivan fan but felt that this was rather going through the motions. Did it ever pick up?

Quote: Blenkinsop @ January 8 2009, 9:44 PM GMT

On the actual show itself, I gave up the ghost on this about ep 2 of series 1. I'm a big Sullivan fan but felt that this was rather going through the motions. Did it ever pick up?

IMO, yes. But you're unlikely to enjoy it if you hated it that much.

Not so much hated it as it just seemed to rely too heavily on its roots (i.e. Only Fools) but seemed to sacrifice the wit and brilliant plotting that made OF&H so wonderful in favour of a silly load of of old tosh that wouldn't have been out of place in the later episodes of Vicar of Dibley or Last of the Summer Wine

Well, it's an entirely separate show from Only Fools And Horses now. And you'd have to watch yourself to judge on the rest.

I may give it a go then.

*John Sullivan breathes a sigh of relief as the mighty Blenkinsop deigns to watch*

I heard somewhere from a source (my brother, not too reliable, he'd had a few pints) that John Sullivan is thinking of bringing the Trotters into an episode. Anyone else heard that?

Quote: Jack Massey @ January 9 2009, 11:50 AM GMT

I heard somewhere from a source (my brother, not too reliable, he'd had a few pints) that John Sullivan is thinking of bringing the Trotters into an episode. Anyone else heard that?

Yes, and that really shouldn't happen, if it is indeed planned. If those characters are to make any kind of return, it should be in their own show, not as supporting characters in the vastly inferior spin-off. That would be incredibly disrepectful.

No.