Serious YouTube rival

Has anyone else seen the news about the new video broadcasting website being launched this summer to rival YouTube?

It's pretty exciting stuff really. As much as I love YouTube (regular forum members will have picked up on this I'm sure) this new rival website is likely to seriously shake things up... for the better.

Media companies have already promised to upload whole episodes of their best shows to the new site, which us viewers can then watch for free. The idea being the episodes will be supported by advertising so the copyright owners will make money out of this site (i.e. everyone is happy). Some reports I've read suggest that you'll even be able to watch some blockbuster films on there.

This wouldn't really be such big news if it wasn't for the fact the website is being created by three of the biggest media companies in the world... News Corporation, NBC Universal and Microsoft. In otherwords these promises and boasts are not hollow - they will be followed through.

In case you're not familiar with the US networks: this new site means we're going to be able to access shows like The Simpsons and 24 from News Corp owned Fox, stuff like Heroes and My Name is Earl from NBC and, if the press reports are right, a load of Universal films too like Little Miss Sunshine, The Devil Wears Prada, Borat and The Bourne Supremacy. All for free!

You gotta love the Internet!

Hmm the big commercial companies trying to wipe out the little guy, well I know YouTube are hardly little guys anymore, bloody millionaires but still they came from no where.

Quote: Martin Holmes @ March 23, 2007, 11:05 PM

Hmm the big commercial companies trying to wipe out the little guy, well I know YouTube are hardly little guys anymore, bloody millionaires but still they came from no where.

YouTube's owned by Google! Hardly the 'little guy'!

Dan