Norman Wisdom Page 6

Well yes, many of the best slapstick artists came from poor backgrounds themselves and based their characters on a 'poor or stupid' stereotype. You're quite right. Also physical humour can be fairly claimed to be base and unsophisticated while verbal humour claims to be higher born and sophisticated by degrees.

The higher the class of verbal wit the greater the case of comedy snobbery. For me, Norman Wisdom is worth at least five Stephen Frys.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ October 17 2010, 11:36 PM BST

The higher the class of verbal wit the greater the case of comedy snobbery. For me, Norman Wisdom is worth at least five Stephen Frys.

:O

*falls over*

:(

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud See, hilarious!

Wait till you see his impression of Tommy Cooper; it's excellent, almost as good as his Norman Wisdom.

TPTV Tuesday 2 August 1.40pm {repeated Saturday 7 August 2.30pm}: Norman Wisdom: A Life {2004}: Sir Norman Wisdom goes back to his roots in Kent and talks to Paul Ross about his childhood, his challenges and his professional life.

Watched it when it went out the first time, and may well have burnt it to disc.

Very good doc.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 17th October 2010, 10:36 PM

I'd say they were matched in comedic value, but demonstrated it in different ways. Both great. My father spent a couple of hours with Norman Wisdom and said he acted exactly like his on screen persona.

Quote: Firkin @ 1st August 2022, 2:01 AM

I'd say they were matched in comedic value, but demonstrated it in different ways. Both great. My father spent a couple of hours with Norman Wisdom and said he acted exactly like his on screen persona.

But he had some annoying habits apparently, like eating with his mouth open and then saying things like "Do you like sea (see) food" ?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 1st August 2022, 9:03 AM

But he had some annoying habits apparently, like eating with his mouth open and then saying things like "Do you like sea (see) food" ?

Well, he was ahead of his time there:

https://metro.co.uk/2022/07/24/research-says-eating-with-your-mouth-open-makes-food-taste-better-17058736/

Ummm, nonetheless it's a disgusting habit

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 31st July 2022, 11:34 PM

Very good doc.

It doesn't appear to have been broadcast on television before. Perhaps you're thinking of another with a similar title?

Quote: Aaron @ 1st August 2022, 10:36 PM

It doesn't appear to have been broadcast on television before. Perhaps you're thinking of another with a similar title?

Well, that's weird because it was the .................."and talks to Paul Ross about his childhood"............that convinced me I had seen it.

OK, I'll set the digi-box and report back, as I'm curious now.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 31st July 2022, 11:34 PM

Quote: Aaron @ 1st August 2022, 10:36 PM

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 1st August 2022, 11:15 PM

Well, that's weird because it was the .................."and talks to Paul Ross about his childhood"............that convinced me I had seen it.

OK, I'll set the digi-box and report back, as I'm curious now.

Well, hadn't seen it, and very good it was too. All I have to do now is try and remember the one (if any - I am old, you know) I saw.

It reminded me a bit of the Max Wall one I watched awhile back, so perhaps I'm getting that mixed up with NW. ?