Dad's Army Night - 13th December 2008 Page 2

Why does TV rule my life. Damn you John Logie Baird.

I know, I found myself asking the same question when I left my wife because she doesn't like On The Buses.

Quote: Jack Massey @ December 8 2008, 10:08 PM GMT

I know, I found myself asking the same question when I left my wife because she doesn't like On The Buses.

Well at least you left her for a decent reason, I mean, what kind of person doesn't like On The Buses?

Quote: Ned1984 @ December 8 2008, 10:06 PM GMT

Why does TV rule my life. Damn you John Logie Baird.

:D

Agreed!

Quote: Ned1984 @ December 8 2008, 10:10 PM GMT

Well at least you left her for a decent reason, I mean, what kind of person doesn't like On The Buses?

C**ts.

Quote: Jack Massey @ December 8 2008, 10:13 PM GMT

C**ts.

Laughing out loud

Quote: Ned1984 @ December 8 2008, 10:10 PM GMT

Well - um!

Some colour images of the episode have now been made available. The one given by a recent BBC Press Release looks perfect. I imagine that that is what it looked like exactly at the time.

I'd love to see this more. There's an episode of Sykes Series 1 which only exists in B&W now, as does S01E04 of The Goodies.

I'd also like to think that it may be able to be extended to originally B&W shows in future. I would presume that there is some variation in the shades of blacks and greys, depending on actual colours of shows.

Look at the Lab Technicians strike in 1971 which saw endless ITV sitcoms having episodes shown in black and white, at the top of my head, I can remember: Bless this House, On the Buses, Doctor at Large, Please Sir and Six Dates with Barker, but there were alot more. But as they were made in black and white then it, for me, is important they stay in black and white as that's how they were made and the strike becomes an interesting part of television history.
But like you say, things that were made in colour but only exist in black and white, should be re-made for colour.
I don't like what they've done with Laurel and Hardy films, using computers to put them in colour, it doesn't look right and wasn't made in colour so they shouldn't be shown in colour. I'm going on a bit of a rant here aren't I...

Oh, I'd like to see them colourised. Not to replace the original B&W, but to compliment. For example, if on DVD then I'd want them as extras rather than the episode proper. Just interesting to see the change.

I was under the impression that the initial 7 B&W Bless This House episodes had straddled the change to colour rather than being due to a strike though.

Yes, they were as a result of the strike. The strike was in 1971 and anything you saw in black and white in 1971 was as a result of the strike. Things that straddled to colour often occured in 1969 and 1970. For example, the original runs of the first series of Doctor in the House and the second series of Please Sir were made in colour, but for the first screening they were shown in black and white, but as repeats proved they were made in colour.

Hope you don't mind but saw this on the BBC press office page has a picture of the restored piece and I got to say it looks f**king amazing

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2008/12_december/09/dadsarmy.shtml

Also theres a piece on the guardian website.

Again hope you don't mind the link.

Quote: Vorny @ December 11 2008, 9:28 AM GMT

Hope you don't mind but saw this on the BBC press office page has a picture of the restored piece and I got to say it looks f**king amazing

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2008/12_december/09/dadsarmy.shtml

Also theres a piece on the guardian website.

Again hope you don't mind the link.

I mind the link, mainly because I already posted it.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ December 11 2008, 9:34 AM GMT

I mind the link, mainly because I already posted it.

Sorry Ian Unintentional error on my part.

Hope you can forgive the error

;)

Wales