You're a writer? Really? Page 11

Quote: Aaron @ November 25 2008, 7:12 PM GMT

Yeah, with the VistaPrint ad on the back.

Nay, sir, hand designed.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ November 25 2008, 5:07 PM GMT

They ask me what my writing's about and I say: I can't tell you because all my stuff is under consideration.

Then they usually say - I don't want to read it, I just want a loose idea of what it's about.

I repeat my first answer.

Then they usually get a little bit impatient and say something like: Look, man, I'm a writer too. I'm not going to steal your stuff - I don't need any detail, jokes, character information - just give me a few words - say 'BBC Three sitcom set in a school' etc. They then give a quick description of something they've written.

I say Yeah, but your stuff isn't under consideration, my stuff is

At that point they usually wander off muttering 'small-statured ginger prick' or something similar.

F**ks sake mate get some hair dye and get it produced.

:)

Quote: Godot Taxis @ November 25 2008, 5:07 PM GMT

They ask me what my writing's about and I say: I can't tell you because all my stuff is under consideration.

Then they usually say - I don't want to read it, I just want a loose idea of what it's about.

I repeat my first answer.

Then they usually get a little bit impatient and say something like: Look, man, I'm a writer too. I'm not going to steal your stuff - I don't need any detail, jokes, character information - just give me a few words - say 'BBC Three sitcom set in a school' etc. They then give a quick description of something they've written.

I say Yeah, but your stuff isn't under consideration, my stuff is

At that point they usually wander off muttering 'small-statured ginger prick' or something similar.

Sly dig. That's the spirit.

Quote: Aaron @ November 25 2008, 7:12 PM GMT

Yeah, with the VistaPrint ad on the back.

That's mine - for amateurs only. Dave's a real pro.

Quote: David Chapman @ November 26 2008, 12:06 AM GMT

That's mine - for amateurs only. Dave's a real pro.

Professional or prostitute? Oh, who am I kidding...

Planning to be a full-time writer in 5 years or so. Sorted, you see?

Because for my day job I'm a freelance journalist, I find it easier to tell people I'm "a writer" if they ask what I do. I mean, who in their right mind wants to admit to being a journalist? Errr

I'm not lying by saying I'm a writer and if they start to ask questions (which inevitably they do), I just say "Oh, I write articles for various magazines and newspapers and I'm currently working on a couple of drama scripts". Ties it all up in a neat little bow, and I've now become very good at quickly changing the subject because I hate talking about it anyway.

If anyone is quick enough to ask about the scripts I'm writing, I tell them, with a very serious face, "I'm afraid if I told you that I'd have to kill you." CoolUsually stuns them just enough to change the subject. ;)

I always hate being asked what I do for a job because it sounds so naff.

Quote: David Chapman @ November 26 2008, 11:05 PM GMT

I always hate being asked what I do for a job because it sounds so naff.

Well, somebody's got to clean up after those peep shows, Dave. Otherwise no-one would go...

;)

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ November 27 2008, 10:41 AM GMT

Well, somebody's got to clean up after those peep shows, Dave.

Use less disenfectant. It makes me feel quite queasy.