Ghost Town

Wow, that wasn't as good as i hoped!

Started off bad as some moron thought it was a good idea to bring young children to a rom/com who wouldn't shut up. Can't be more retarded than that....oh but you can.... someone also thought it would be good to bring someone who was mentally disabled so they could sit and yell during the film.....not sure if it was a protest against Gervais but they were bloody annoying - get a video!

Anyway....film was ok but not good and certainly not great. In many places it felt like Gervais had been given obvious free reign to either adlib or re-write in his naturalistic style. What is great/cringe on the Office is pretty tiresome when spread over 1hr + in a movie setting. Him bumbling away in a Brent/Millman styleee just felt...not quite right. Biggest issue of course is...can Gervias really pull off a romantic lead opposite Tea Leoni? Errr....no, of course not. Tea is as hot in this as she was starring opposite a limited edition 911 and Will Smith in Bad Boys.....Ricky is as dorky in this as when he....did every dorky charter he's even been.

Funnily enough, the only actor i can think of who could play an idiot who turns out nice, be (just) plausible as a romantic lead and funny/watchable enough to carry a movie is....Steve Carell. I'm still looking forward to This Side of The Truth and hope that Gervais writing ALL his stuff is better than being aloud to re-write his own character only......but i'm still not sure he's a movie star (maybe i should wait till his films come out on DVD.....just like the yeller from the showing today!)

Quote: Pete @ November 16 2008, 4:25 PM GMT

someone also thought it would be good to bring someone who was mentally disabled so they could sit and yell during the film.....not sure if it was a protest against Gervais but they were bloody annoying - get a video!

What an ignorant thing to say.

Do you think? Do you not think that if you are responsible for someone who involuntarily yells out for no reason that taking them to a cinema may not be very clever....and thus deserving of my unpleasant feedback?

I am all for allowing people worse of than normal (in any sense) to have a taste of what we all enjoy....but lets be sensible. I don't want blind people being given a go at driving buses, i don't want deaf people doing apprenticeships at 118 118......and i don't want people that yell out sat 3 rows in front of me at a rom/com.

I feel sorry for the other people watching, having to listen to your tutting throughout.

Fair enough, dodge the issue. Putting someone in a cinema that can't stay quiet is DUMB.....you don't have to admit it, it's obvious. Hey, at least you have added 5 points to your "stand up for disabilities whatever the case" tally.

I'm with Pete on this one. Why bring a mentally-ill person into a cinema in the first place? It's obvious he wasn't enjoying the film anyway if he's just sat there yelling. And what's more it's bloody rude of his carer to not give a f**k about the other people in the audience who've paid a fortune to get in.

I HATE noisemakers in the cinema whether it's kids, sweet packet rustlers or mentally-challenged yellers. Chuck them all out that's what I say.

I've got a mentally-ill cousin and he's a loveable little git but there's no way I'd take him to the bloody pictures - you might as well take a monkey on acid.

Quote: Pete @ November 16 2008, 5:52 PM GMT

Fair enough, dodge the issue. Putting someone in a cinema that can't stay quiet is DUMB.....you don't have to admit it, it's obvious. Hey, at least you have added 5 points to your "stand up for disabilities whatever the case" tally.

The issue is your ignorance.

Quote: Leevil @ November 16 2008, 7:43 PM GMT

The issue is your ignorance.

Seems to me ignorance is rather overused by people who actually mean "i don't like your opinion". I am not ignorant of anything (not in this case anyway!)Everything i stated was accurate and factual....this person was an annoyance to me and the person that brought them was daft to have done so. I have a 2 year old, should i have brought him to sit and cry and wail the whole time? No, i would be stupid and rude if i did that. In fact, my 12 and 8 year old (big Gervais fans) wanted to come and said no as i thought it may not be appropriate for them and they would get bored and restless and disturb others.....in hindsight they would have enjoyed it and been an irrelevant disruption to others in comparison to Mr Shouty.

You cant just hear "disabled" and call out "ignorant" as though anything negative about the person would be as a result of a lack of understanding on my part. It's no better than crying racist.

PS. I added in "mr shouty" as i feel your knee jerk reaction is deserving of some additional fuel to your overheated attitude, it's not meant as an insult to anyone who is mentally disabled and shouts a lot (as long as you stay out of the cinema!)

I'm not disputing the opinion. I just think the comment is ignorant of the levels of mental health/disability and you just dismiss a part of a society because they can't keep quiet.

It's one step backwards, when the community is trying hard to include them. Only to be told to stay at home and keep out of "normal peoples" way.

You are taking nonsense.....if you cant be quiet in a cinema then the condition that causes that (be it mental health or otherwise) should be enough to STOP you going there! Sure, lets be an inclusive society but lets not do it to extremes. I'm 6ft6, when i went to Chessington recently i had to watch as my wife and kids went on rides i was TOO TALL for. I didn't moan or whine, i accept that my body is not designed to suit every single aspect of modern life. I cant be a fireman, i wont be much of a jockey and I'd not get work as a dwarf stunt double...tough.

Add to this the fact that i don't believe someone who shouts at random events during a film is getting much from a romantic comedy where 99% of the entertainment comes from the script...which cant be heard above their own noise.

To say "stay at home" is a ridiculous knee jerk response to the point and it's that "they have a right to go anywhere" attitude of the people looking after these folk that puts THEM backwards. I don't have a right to ruin the rides at Chessington so why does someone, who's body has prevented them from sitting quietly, get the right to screw up my film?

Quote: Lee Henman @ November 16 2008, 7:37 PM GMT

I'm with Pete on this one. Why bring a mentally-ill person into a cinema in the first place? It's obvious he wasn't enjoying the film anyway if he's just sat there yelling. And what's more it's bloody rude of his carer to not give a f**k about the other people in the audience who've paid a fortune to get in.

I HATE noisemakers in the cinema whether it's kids, sweet packet rustlers or mentally-challenged yellers. Chuck them all out that's what I say.

I've got a mentally-ill cousin and he's a loveable little git but there's no way I'd take him to the bloody pictures - you might as well take a monkey on acid.

:)

Anyway ladies, let's calm down. Kthxbi. x

Quote: Pete @ November 16 2008, 10:12 PM GMT

I'm 6ft6, when i went to Chessington recently i had to watch as my wife and kids went on rides i was TOO TALL for. I didn't moan or whine, i accept that my body is not designed to suit every single aspect of modern life.

Laughing out loud

Is that a joke? Did you consider the people sat behind you in the cinema or even more importantly the people reading this forum to come across your comments.

Can't we just agree you're all racists?

Quote: David Bussell @ November 17 2008, 11:41 AM GMT

Honkey.

Quote: David Bussell @ November 17 2008, 11:41 AM GMT

Shut it, nig-nog.