I read the news today oh boy! Page 2,033

Quote: Briosaid @ 27th April 2019, 8:50 PM

The only alarm I'd sound is that if I see a very long post, I skim read it for quickness so probably don't get all the finer points.

Fair enough but couples who by nature are insular and self-obsessed, albeit times two, spend hours making passionate love to each other and in the breaks manage to dash off a quick tweet for everyone else often of an angry nature. In contrast, the unerringly singular have a regular quick - some might call it a tweet like - ejaculation, literal, so as to spend hours making loving and passionately lengthy paragraphs for the world.

It is for you to decide which of these resides in the dinosaur fifties and which is in the true spirit of the sixties if it hadn't been obliterated by sexual consumerism as a disguise for keeping everyone in a grey post war doff-yer-cap-for-ever-more hold, But life isn't always what it seems it is, particularly from the perspectives of essential literary devices or totally unnecessary copulation which claims to be lurve only until bitter divorce.

Cheers. :)

I love this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqkT6_WZsjg England

(my chosen epitaph : "the moment people ludicrously started to say I was an intellectual - when it happened I thought it was utterly bizarre and that they were joking : I was genuinely shocked when it turned out that they were not - was the one when I knew society had BIG problems" - to this day this oik can't fathom how weirdly things turned out this way)

¶ everybody do what you're doing¶......
I'll be bloody singing that all day now

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 29th April 2019, 6:58 PM

¶ everybody do what you're doing¶......
I'll be bloody singing that all day now

Erm....no me neither but I guess you have to have kids to be down with the kids. My good friend, SG - sorry, no option - I seem to remember when you were white. Have you just done a Michael Jackson in reverse or are you copying my father's favourite photograph of himself and my God he has hundreds (the one where he was blacked up and came second to an unknown Des O'Connor at the Tooting Granada?). I admit here I ironically did a lot of naked selfies just as it was coming into fashion but not in the modern way. My aim was to have a gallery of them immediately opposite Parliament to bring this country to its knees because of my redundancy. That was 2011 and, with hindsight, I should have gone ahead with it. The ones featuring custard would have created a revolution and I would have at least been made the mayor of Wigan.

Ain't it bloody marvelous, this country, now. The mejia is going "Alex Hales, ooh, ooh, but is snorting cocaine up the nostrils any worse than two beers at the Dog and Duck or a performance enhancing cortisone injection? Not a word. Not ONE word about the illegality, probably because most of them are doing the same thing.. Stick cocaine criminals in a vaseline tub and force feed them their favourite substance until their eyeballs drop out. Then leave everyone else who likes an occasional legal beer and the easing of pain in a state of moral superiority because we have been left with nothing else.

Christ, LBC now. "Politicians who are painting in primary colours are doing well and those who are more beige are doing less well". Can't help but think that a few decent sturdy pairs of Doctor Martens would sort a lot of this anti-democratic so-called entertainment out. The poor public. It's like being constantly bombed by a tin of mandarin orange segments.

Who outside Stormont (which is 8 billion people, ie everyone) couldn't adore this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0v_pu6miJ8

Serious question. Very disappointed at not being able to get a ticket for Millwall tonight but I argued on my first trips that there was more humour there than I had encountered at all other grounds combined. The question is "which of the following I witnessed was acceptable and which unacceptable?"

1. On buying a programme from a a bloke and a woman at the programme stand, I looked my ugly self. The bloke declined to serve me and directed me to the woman saying "she will sort you out - she will be prepared as with everyone to give you a good rate for relief".

2. Overheard - a late middle aged moany bloke talking to his wife. "Why do we have to pay so much - if we went in there it would be a lot cheaper.". Answer: "Darlin', we can do it but I will have to immediately cripple you and then become your carer - so it's up to you love".

3. "I'd rather be a P**i than a Scouse". This is the one which led to bloodshed when Everton turned up and I heard it on the train on the way down. The club is trying to banish it. I can understand why but I can't really hear it as anti ethnicity. Rather it is hatred of Liverpudlians which surely to goodness is totally reasonable?

4. The same people shouting from the train window at the police on a day when anarchists were running riot with a pink boat. Quote - "shouldn't you be more concerned about climate change?". Tolerated nicely by the bobbies presumably on the grounds that they had a point.

I don't actually believe these people are racist. Most of them. Some are young and laddish and funny on some occasions and on others they are not. They are mainly poor and are not of huge intelligence. I feel they are dealing with life the best that they can. If I thought that they were really nasty, I wouldn't like or defend them. But I see them as victims essentially although managing to stand upright. Consequently I would intellectually support them in a war against the wealthy.

So that was the comedy conundrum. But at the axis of this is Brexit. Had Brexit been unequivocally delivered already, I would have been frowning at some of the behaviour described as was the case historically. I always sided with an expansion of rights. Currently, with the delivery looking questionable, I marginally side against that.. And if Brexit is overturned completely, I will for the rest of my life vote against all future minority rights. That is the quid pro quo. You can have EU membership if you like but don't expect the status quo on policy viewpoints. To think otherwise is totally naive,.

Quote: Briosaid @ 27th April 2019, 8:50 PM

The only alarm I'd sound is that if I see a very long post, I skim read it for quickness so probably don't get all the finer points.

Afraid I agree but.....

Quote: A Horseradish @ 27th April 2019, 6:09 PM

Congratulations to lovely Millwall for avoiding the drop today. This is now officially my third club behind Arsenal and York.

It turned out to be the year when I questioned if it was really true that people are not really able to chose their clubs as they were chosen by history for us. I noted how footballers frequently went through a dozen teams in their time and subsequently had an allegiance to all of them. If that was the case, why should supporters be required to be so limited?

So, I went to 11 matches this season - the first I have attended in a decade - building on broader personal history to get the vibe, placing myself in every instance behind the goal at the home end and I found that I liked almost everything I witnessed. So here is now my list of my clubs which has been expanded from 2 to 10 with accompanying reasons because, yes, I do think reasons are required. You can't just pick a selection with no meaning for such an exercise to make sense:

1. Arsenal (first matches I attended with my father, then later with mates)
2. York City (first regular matches I attended with mates)
3. Millwall (my mother's family - Nan and late uncles : my London really - and to challenge stereotypical assumptions)
4. Newcastle (combined this with family tree related travel - Dad was in Tynemouth in the war - I see the NE as my north)
5. Exeter (my return to football in 2018 after ten years, like York City as it was, and where my Mum was in the war)
6. Charlton (the other team of parts of my mother's family, interesting supporter base)
7. Ipswich (I had thought we were London by birth through and through but discovered some of us were from Suffolk)
8. QPR (my second team as a teenager although I had never been - finally got to go there to reconnect with my own past)
9. Aston Villa (Villa Park is the nearest thing I have found to Highbury which has sadly now been demolished)
10. Sheffield Wednesday (haven't been there since the 1980s but another traditional ground plus a further Yorkshire link)

Other reasonable mentions: Southampton, Fulham, Norwich, Sutton Utd, Nottingham Forest, possibly Wolves)

You just CAN'T support 3 league teams! It's not allowed.

And Sutton United should be more than a reasonable mention!

Quote: Chappers @ 1st May 2019, 5:37 PM

Afraid I agree but.....

You just CAN'T support 3 league teams! It's not allowed.

And Sutton United should be more than a reasonable mention!

It's a bit harsh and windswept environmentally though isn't it.

I do my best to give it a good write up.

Went on my own today to my idea of heaven which is Rhododendron Walk on Leith Hill which was laid out by Caroline Wedgwood close to Ralph Vaughan Williams's House and just a few footsteps from where Charles Darwin did his bee experiments. Shockingly good pinks, delicate tangerines and the most challenging purple blues. Excellent.

Met a lot of types along the way - buses, trains, taxis, pedestrians, people in the Plough at the nearby village.

Friendliness scale:

West Indians: 50%
Africans 33%
White English excluding chavs 28%
The rest 25%.

These figures were way above the recent scales but they were obviously helped by the fact that I didn't encounter anyone at all from Scotland, Wales or Ireland.

I needed to get these thoughts written before the start of the crucial Iain Dale programme as his team follows me very closely. So I have only just heard that Gavin Williamson has been sacked. Absolutely fantastic news. I have long thought that he was a total twat.

And hey, busty army babe Penny Mordaunt - the one who got the word cock in to an answer several times - has taken over. Right background but clearly grossly immature.

Plus the best politician since Clement Attlee, Rory Stewart, has been promoted into her place,. Wonders will never cease. It's been a long while and clearly he still has a way to go but I see no reason why he shouldn't become the new Churchill. Tbh, he is the only hope the Tories have and predictably no one really recognises it.

Wow - how does this recall system work? The Peterborough MP who was a jailbird has just been forced out because 27% of voters said she must go (and it was only 10% of them that was needed). Surely that she was a crook isn't the point here? Can't it be done anywhere? If it is that easy why aren't we using the procedure to get rid of the entire lot of them?

Quote: A Horseradish @ 1st May 2019, 7:44 PM

Wow - how does this recall system work? The Peterborough MP who was a jailbird has just been forced out because 27% of voters said she must go (and it was only 10% of them that was needed). Surely that she was a crook isn't the point here? Can't it be done anywhere? If it is that easy why aren't we using the procedure to get rid of the entire lot of them?

Good point. Stringing from the lampposts should be an option.

You weren't in Italy April 45 were you brio?
They liked to do just that.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 1st May 2019, 9:05 PM

You weren't in Italy April 45 were you brio?
They liked to do just that.

I was 4 months old and a quick learner. Laughing out loud

So five teenagers get had up for murdering one by stabbing him 15 times and to make sure smash him over the head with a bottle, in broad daylight and just a few yards from his house because he had "dissed" one of their gang that morning.

In a inner city slum? No on a housing estate in Ipswich and four of them got 20 - 25 years EACH firm, which is making a change from the usual farcical sentence of 20 years total for four of them.

But lo! What did the fifth get? 14 years for manslaughter with a recommendation that he served at least 7. What the f**k is the point of that. My Dad was right when he said, years ago, that the law is an ass.

Children are being brought up with no moral values. They don't know right from wrong - or aren't taught it.
I say taught, I mean it's not bashed into them.
I know bashed is an un pc thing to say - but here are the results of this lovely pc thing.
Kids with no morals carrying knives and killing other kids.

Take it back 30/40 years... a lad 'dissed; a gang member, he got a good hiding. When he was down with a bloody nose that was the end of the lesson. He didn't dis any gang members again and it was status quo with the gang.
Violent, nasty sure - but everyone lived to fight another day.

Fear is a great deterrent. They don't have it anymore. Nobody can touch them.
My daughter was an English teacher of teenagers. She said to me, the pupils have all the power and they know they have.
Most were unteachable.
No fear of a clout round the head or the cane for them. Admonishment doesn't cut it.

Society is paying the price for the softly softly approach and people are dying from it.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 2nd May 2019, 9:08 AM

My daughter was an English teacher of teenagers. She said to me, the pupils have all the power and they know they have.
Most were unteachable.
No fear of a clout round the head or the cane for them. Admonishment doesn't cut it.

Society is paying the price for the softly softly approach and people are dying from it.

So true. 21 years I worked in a High School, which had a good reputation but there were feral oiks who knew they were untouchable and played on it. I told many a teacher that I wouldn't want their job.

I got the cane a few times in Sec.Mod. - it was a quick sharp lesson and I didn't do it again, AND I didn't come out into the big wide world feeling bitter about it all. Even had six of the best with a "big white plimsoll" once at PRIMARY school! Didn't deserve it for what I did, but hey ho.

I know I'll sound like an old fogey, but I do remember when I got the belt (we didn't have the cane in Scotland - it was the belt) in primary school, I didn't dare tell my mother or I'd have been in more trouble.
After university, I taught briefly in quite a rough school in the East End of Glasgow, and I regularly used the belt - I laid down rules which, if broken, merited the belt, and the (wild) boys all accepted this - there never was an issue when a parent complained., and this is the thing - it lies at the door of parents who, nowadays don't seem able to accept their wee angels can misbehave.
P.S. and it was this experience that led me to realise I'd be happier being a social worker than a teacher.