I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,952

Quote: DaButt @ 3rd October 2017, 3:41 PM

In this country, guns are no big deal.

Yes, I bet that's what all the relatives of the dead and injured from the Las Vegas concert are saying.

There's no point in rowing about this - nor taking it out on DaButt, who's a good guy.
Nothing will change.
It's the same circular argument every time there's a mass shooting.
Just be thankful you live in a country where the worst thing about a Country & Western festival is the music.

Quote: DaButt @ 3rd October 2017, 2:43 PM

Shooting is fun.

Darn straight. Just as Eric Harris, one of the Columbine killers, said shortly before their spree: "Isn't it fun to get the respect that we're going to deserve."

Quote: Lazzard @ 3rd October 2017, 4:12 PM

Just be thankful you live in a country where the worst thing about a Country & Western festival is the music.

Laughing out loud Yeehah! A man after my own heart...........Phut................................dinggggg!

There's no point in rowing about this - nor taking it out on DaButt, who's a good guy.

I would posit that anyone promotes public gun sales and ownership (not least after a mass shooting) is not a good guy, but a cretin. It's pathetic to see adults thinking that gun ownership is a fundamental right that makes their nation safer.

If the US can swan about the world, spending billions on trying to initiate regime changes, why can't it disarm its own people for the sake of a future with fewer gun deaths?

It's the same circular argument every time there's a mass shooting.

I have previously posted irrefutable mathematical proof that the circular argument over gun control can be straightened by elliptical polarization.

It would be as useless in preventing gun crimes/deaths as vehicle registration is in preventing traffic accidents/deaths. Police can already tell if a gun is stolen (already illegal) by checking the serial number, although many criminals grind it off (already illegal). Once a gun is used in a crime or fired at someone, a registration would be useless in stopping that illegal activity. The need is for a way to stop the activity before it takes place, and a registration would not do that.

One doesn't eat an elephant in one bite, you do it with lots of little bites.
Of course registration is not a complete solution; it's just a start.
You pre-suppose that the police acquire the weapon and can read the serial number. The effect of registration comes BEFORE that: from the recovered bullets the police wold be able to find out from the registrations the supposed owner. From the owner (if he is not the shooter) they find the circumstances of the theft and in some cases that leads to finding the shooter. Every little bite helps.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 3rd October 2017, 3:53 PM

I found it boring and akin to golf - a waste of time.

I know it can appear that I am glibly saying this just to justify something but honestly, guns frighten me and the further I am away from them the better.

Pointless and very, very dangerous hobby.

I have no interest in golf, but I try to keep an open mind and appreciate the skill and talents of sports and pastimes other than my own. I find football/soccer extremely tedious and almost completely uninteresting, but I marvel at the skills of the players and the camaraderie that exists between the teams' supporters. There's obviously a reason that the sport is so popular with so many people around the world, even if it doesn't resonate with me.

Properly conducted, shooting shouldn't be any more dangerous than any other sport or hobby. I'd probably kill myself if I attempted to ski or ride a horse, but I can't ever see myself getting hurt at a shooting range. They tend to be extremely safety conscious. I'll likely die in a propane explosion or scald myself with boiling wort (beer) long before I'll ever get shot.

Hey now!

I used to be a country music hater because it was never listened to in my home as I was growing up, so I was only exposed to crappy, syrupy performers in the 80s and 90s. But I gained an appreciation about 20 years ago when I was introduced to George Jones, Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard, Loretta Lynn, Glen Campbell and Johnny Cash. There are some fantastic songs in their catalogs.

Most of my favorites are from the 60s and 70s, but this newcomer is shaking things up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsrsrOB0zNQ

Quote: Kenneth @ 3rd October 2017, 4:16 PM

Darn straight. Just as Eric Harris, one of the Columbine killers, said shortly before their spree: "Isn't it fun to get the respect that we're going to deserve."

As I said, you've lost the debate.

Quote: Kenneth @ 3rd October 2017, 4:28 PM

If the US can swan about the world, spending billions on trying to initiate regime changes, why can't it disarm its own people for the sake of a future with fewer gun deaths?

Because the U.S. isn't a government, it's a group of people. And the people don't want to be disarmed. Quite simple, really.

Quote: DaButt @ 3rd October 2017, 4:47 PM

I have no interest in golf, but I try to keep an open mind and appreciate the skill and talents of sports and pastimes other than my own. I find football/soccer extremely tedious and almost completely uninteresting, but I marvel at the skills of the players and the camaraderie that exists between the teams' supporters. There's obviously a reason that the sport is so popular with so many people around the world, even if it doesn't resonate with me.

Properly conducted, shooting shouldn't be any more dangerous than any other sport or hobby. I'd probably kill myself if I attempted to ski or ride a horse, but I can't ever see myself getting hurt at a shooting range. They tend to be extremely safety conscious. I'll likely die in a propane explosion or scald myself with boiling wort (beer) long before I'll ever get shot.

Hey now!

I used to be a country music hater because it was never listened to in my home as I was growing up, so I was only exposed to crappy, syrupy performers in the 80s and 90s. But I gained an appreciation about 20 years ago when I was introduced to George Jones, Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard, Loretta Lynn, Glen Campbell and Johnny Cash. There are some fantastic songs in their catalogs.

Most of my favorites are from the 60s and 70s, but this newcomer is shaking things up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsrsrOB0zNQ

As I said, you've lost the debate.

I am not political these days as I don't agree with anyone and think that all modern politicians are eleven year old children but the trick re country music for people who are on the left is to start with country artists on the left - Gram Parsons, Nanci Griffith etc. After which they can take on board many on the above list and find in many cases that they really love them.

Because the U.S. isn't a government, it's a group of people. And the people don't want to be disarmed.

You mean like the Goths or the Vandals? Unless it is more complicated.

Quote: billwill @ 3rd October 2017, 4:34 PM

from the recovered bullets the police wold be able to find out from the registrations the supposed owner. From the owner (if he is not the shooter) they find the circumstances of the theft and in some cases that leads to finding the shooter. Every little bite helps.

But it would do nothing to reduce gun crime, as the evidence couldn't be recovered until the slug is pulled from a lifeless body. Far too late to be of any use, other than to possibly identify the shooter. We don't have much of a problem with that, as our detectives are quite good and most murders are solved.

I understand your "bite" analogy, but in this case, the bites would be akin to a flea on the elephant and the results would be negligible at best.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 3rd October 2017, 4:53 PM

the trick re country music for people who are on the left is to start with country artists on the left - Gram Parsons, Nanci Griffith etc. After which they can take on board many on the above list and find in many cases that they really love them.

I'm fairly certain that the artists I listed aren't exactly hardcore conservatives. They are/were long-haired, pot-smoking, war-protesting, rebels, for the most part.

white killer not being labelled See if this is any better. I wouldn't
monise F**king dedemeonisetthing:Pirate needs shooting

Whatevr his motive he has do agreat deal of harm to the republicans because they willnow be bombarded bth world's liberals on gun laws /uch a daft term liberal - Liberals and lefties are anti gun, the coneratvatie republican backed gun laws are liberal.:S olitic is nuts Now on socmedia it becomea race row for the white killer not beig labelled a terrorist. >_< Alas ny do not know meaning of terrorism.ma

Q.The worst people to own guns?
A.Those who want to

Quote: paulted @ 3rd October 2017, 6:35 PM

Q.The worst people to own guns?

There is but one answer to that question:

A. Those who would use them to deliberately harm innocent people.

And to kill 500 children a year.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 3rd October 2017, 8:10 PM

And to kill 500 children a year.

I believe they'd qualify as innocents.