I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,495

Renegade's argument wall.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 4th April 2014, 4:09 PM BST

This kind of flies in the face of our previous discussion about women in jail.

No it doesn't.

Wow, there's a lot of sexism out there.

Yes there is.

I'd say raping and killing innocent women and children is pretty much a mental disorder.

I wouldn't. People behave in ways that give them a payoff. Bellfield got a feeling of power and superiority from behaving as he did.

I don't recall any sexual element in any of Bellfield's crimes. They were blitz attacks and characterised by an unusual M.O. That is one of the reasons I think he is responsible for the Russell murders.

Quote: dannyjb1 @ 4th April 2014, 3:51 PM BST

I love the fact that Jennie is involved in caper's in her work, I want capers. Next you'll tell me you have also been involved in mild shenanigans and the occasional kerfuffle.

:D

Obviously.

It can just be a fairly extreme form of selfishness.

And we've gone full circle -

Levi Bellfield is getting a pay out for being the victim, claiming it was the responsibility of others to protect him and eschewing any blame. And for this, we lambast him, despite being the abused in this situation.

However, he is a serial killer, suspected of killing many, many women. And yet we don't think of him as a mentally deranged psychopath, just as 'selfish'.

Compare and contrast to -

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/feb/12/women-like-joanna-dennehy-confuse-us-not-mad-or-bad

'Creating monsters or crazed lunatics through the "bad" or "mad" labels are convenient ways of making sense of female multiple murderers like Dennehy. It helps us file them away and carry on with our lives, safe in the knowledge that they are not like the rest of us, they are smudges on an otherwise optimistic landscape in which police-recorded homicide rates have steeply declined in the last 10 years.'

'Dennehy highlights the sharp end of what can happen when someone falls completely between the cracks in society. Our social institutions - family, religion, education, economy, polity - are the foundations on which we build our lives.'

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/mar/02/joanna-dennehy-murder-women-sexuality

'With respect, "evil" is an archaic, unhelpful concept. Dennehy's crimes indicate mental issues that may yet be officially diagnosed during her incarceration.'

And this is where I get my messed up view of the world, sexism and the gender divide. Man kills women = monster, woman kills men = misunderstood victim of society with undiagnosed mental issues which should have been spotted by the authorities.

Interesting points, but let down by one thing.

Nobody reads the Guardian and less than no one reads comment is free.

As shown by that excruciatingly awful article, that seems to be a fine example of "lousy post feminist, bad writing." Full of dubious assumptions, gut feeling all hidden under a layer of poor English.
Like a layer of mould on a very old bullshit pizza.

Seriously if you want to get punched on the nose ask a journo if they write Comment on Free.
They'd rather you thought they work for the Dogging Times.

Quote: sootyj @ 4th April 2014, 4:10 PM BST

Renegade's argument wall.

But the man in the picture is fully clothed there. Not accurate!

That just isn't the case Renegade.

Female serial killers are rarer. That is they attract more interest.
Mr Justice Spencer described Dennehy as "evil" and a "cruel, calculating, selfish and manipulative serial killer". All words that can be applied to Bellfield.

I can't see anywhere in the first article that suggests Dennehy was mad - the author's explanation is disassociation from mainstream society. The second author is complaining about the "sexing up" of Dennehy's crimes. She speculatively suggests there may be underlying mental health issues but there is no real evidence for this.

The interest is she's the only full term female murderer in the UK.

She is more of a puzzle.
Where as when law breaks down, there's always been a statistically significant number of male serial killers, multiple rapists and other naughty types.

Plus, if a male serial killer has a treatable mental illness, then we treat them for it. We don't say "oh, they are a man, therefore they are a monster and we shall not treat them". We say, "off you go to Broadmoor Mr Sutcliffe."

Mental health as much as mental illness is purely a social construct.

Quote: sootyj @ 4th April 2014, 5:06 PM BST

Mental health as much as mental illness is purely a social construct.

When did "the voices" start telling you that, Mr Sooty?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ 4th April 2014, 4:55 PM BST

But the man in the picture is fully clothed there. Not accurate!

He puts his pants back on when you're not around, did no one tell you that?

Quote: beaky @ 4th April 2014, 5:09 PM BST

When did "the voices" start telling you that, Mr Sooty?

Not me, I just take their messages for you.

(strokes beard)

Quote: beaky @ 4th April 2014, 5:13 PM BST

(strokes beard)

Actual boyfriend says, you're kind of missing the point of having a beard.

a flip side on the lack of women in prison, is there are fewer women's prisons.
Meaning that women in choky tend to be incarcerated further from home, which is even harder when you bear in mind most of them are primary carers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4373253.stm

most women in prison in the UK are there for shoplifting, swiftly followed by TV license evasion and being drug mules. There is a powerful argument that aside from a very small number of violent, or otherwise more extreme female felons there's no need for women's prisons.

They're a huge waste of resources with echoing costs in social services for broken up families.

Community payback schemes are the way forward, for men as well in many cases.

Not tranexuals though, I've seen Psycho and Dressed to Kill. Micheal Caine ain't gonna get me in no dress.