I read the news today oh boy! Page 1,392

I am still mystified as to how I have threatened you. But that being said, I will gladly and unreservedly apologise for my choice of words if you will agree to at least think over what I have said.

I actually hope to God you are right - that I am scare mongering and that nothing I have said will come to pass. Nothing would make me happier than to be proved wrong.

Quote: sootyj @ 6th January 2014, 11:24 PM GMT

RCP nicely this is kinda like watching Stephen Hawking go 3 rounds with Evander Hollyfield on crystal meth and someone took the battery out of his chair.

But which of us is which?

And hey, at least I supplied sources for my ignorant rantings. Still Jennie is new to me and I didn't know she was a lawyer type. Even if I did know, it wouldn't have stopped me from making my points though.

It's not like I come on here deliberately making provocative statements until people take the bait. Whistling nnocently

Quote: Jennie @ 6th January 2014, 11:25 PM GMT

I am still mystified as to how I have threatened you. But that being said, I will gladly and unreservedly apologise for my choice of words if you will agree to at least think over what I have said.

It was the racially aggravated material online stuff. But no need to apologise and of course I read your replies and now understand a bit more about the subject.

You do work in a profession that has had it's image tarnished in recent years, so it is difficult not to lump all lawyers in together. I'm sure the work you do is fantastic and you're not paid nearly enough.

I dunno I think I'm the chair.

Quote: sootyj @ 6th January 2014, 11:33 PM GMT

I dunno I think I'm the chair.

That's one way to get both of us to sit on you.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 6th January 2014, 11:32 PM GMT

It's not like I come on here deliberately making provocative statements until people take the bait. Whistling nnocently

*snigger*

I think public sector professions have under successive governments felt more squeezed. I suppose there used to be a sort of unspoken compact. Get a good degree, or study as a nurse or similar profession, do professional training. Then get a reasonable middle class wage, for a difficult job, be able to get a pension at the end and able to buy a property.

But teachers are now expected to work into the evening and their pension readjustments are basically a big pay cut. Nurses are now more like junior doctors and midlevel managers with no real improvement in salary. And youth workers are lucky if they still have a job

Barristers I guess are just the latest group to go, really I was one of the lucky ones nobody told me.

Between governments since Thatcher, theres been a corrosive view that if you're not trying to get rich. Then your a chidish simpleton who should be punished and exploited.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 6th January 2014, 11:32 PM GMT

It was the racially aggravated material online stuff. But no need to apologise and of course I read your replies and now understand a bit more about the subject.

You do work in a profession that has had it's image tarnished in recent years, so it is difficult not to lump all lawyers in together. I'm sure the work you do is fantastic and you're not paid nearly enough.

Ah I see. Well then I apologise for not making myself clearer - I certainly did not mean to threaten you in any way.

You are right about the tarnished image. It is that the Government relies on - they have told us that we will never get any public support so no point taking industrial action.

We have always believed that the public would give us a fair hearing if we made our arguments properly. And so it seems to be proving - the newspaper response to our "walk out" has been largely very positive.

Quote: Jennie @ 6th January 2014, 11:46 PM GMT

We have always believed that the public would give us a fair hearing if we made our arguments properly. And so it seems to be proving - the newspaper response to our "walk out" has been largely very positive.

I worked for a newspaper many years ago and they had a massive team of lawyers, so I can understand the press support.

As sooty has just pointed out, we are living in a climate of public spending reduction and a championing of private enterprise in it's stead. Whether this is acceptable or not is one thing, if it's inevitable or not is quite another.

Get a chambers, you two...

Quote: Nil Putters @ 6th January 2014, 11:56 PM GMT

No one's touching my criminal briefs! ;)

I say I say why won't criminals have a bird cage at the head of their beds

Because they be up before the beak every day

I thangu

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 6th January 2014, 11:54 PM GMT

I worked for a newspaper many years ago and they had a massive team of lawyers, so I can understand the press support.

As sooty has just pointed out, we are living in a climate of public spending reduction and a championing of private enterprise in it's stead. Whether this is acceptable or not is one thing, if it's inevitable or not is quite another.

You lasted one day as a page 3 girl, you didnt even bother to shave and hadn't prepared any views on the events of the day.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 6th January 2014, 11:59 PM GMT

No one's touching my criminal briefs! ;)

Lack of evidence?

Their spelling looked fine to me...

Quote: Nil Putters @ 7th January 2014, 12:02 AM GMT

Lack of evidence?

:D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-25624978

Tosser.