DVD Hates...

Does anybody else hate it when they split series and release them a chunk at a time? It's a cynical and manipulative ploy to make us spend more on a series. Key offenders are CSI, Prison Break and Doctor Who. Bizarrely, the BBC have also chopped up Torchwood and Robin Hood, and are selling them in chunks of three. Is anybody going to fork out nearly twenty quid for three episodes of either show?

My other big hate are series that never get released. Larry Sanders springs to mind, but I'm also getting sick of waiting for Series 2 of Twin Peaks and Series 3, 4 and 5 of The Shield.

Yeah it is annoying when they spilt them up, like with Lost, splitting Series 1 in to Part 1 and Part 2, and then the same with Series 2...and whats even worse is then later on they released them altogether.

I'm also sick of waiting for Larry Sanders (which Gary Shandling said is likely to never happen) but they are releasing 'Not Just The Best Of Larry Sanders' very soon, its a best of but with lots of extras, that Gary Shandling has actually taken part in and filmed interviews with the cast etc.

I'm more pissed off with Virgin and Sky. 2 1/2 seasons of Lost I've watched then Sky get greedy and take away sky1 from my package!!!

Just as well I prefer Hero's on SciFi now.

What worries me about Heroes is that the BBC have bought the first season. I'd wager money now that Sky will outbid them for the second season and it'll go like Lost and 24, avaliable only to Rupert Murdchs customers until the DVD comes out.

Time Gentlemen Please. They could have raked it in with a single DVD release of the first series (23 including the special), but no, they went for 'Volume 1' - just the first six episodes.

One of my biggest DVD hates is when they cut the shows up. Criminal.

I hate DVD extras, they just don't interest me at all. At it pisses me off having to buy a 3 disc box set of something and then they release a "Just the Basics" version.

And I agree with that volumes rip off thing.

I love DVD extras, especially on the Seinfeld collection, there are loads, commentaries, inside looks, bloopers, documentaries, notes on episodes, and a whole range of interviews with the cast, including just one off characters. A truly great DVD collection. And Season 8 comes out in June, cant wait.

Yeah, one of the great joys of DVD is all the extras! It really pisses me off when theyre released without anything, especially if you know theyre only going to release a version packed full of extras six months to a year down the line. oh. and Im still waiting for Tarantinos promised release on DVD of the KILL BILL movies re-edited into one big film! Where is it?! Answer me Quentin! Answer me!!!Anyyway, yeah, love the extras.

But I only need to watch them once.

Only need to watch the extras once? Well, then, dont watch them again! You dont have to!!

Well that's my point.

Whats your point? The extras are exactly that, good, informative extras. You can watch them once, in some cases several times, or not at all. Its good to have the option and its great that viewers have that option. Personally, if I love a show, Im very interested in seeing any background material, cut scenes, interviews, etc. It can really add to your appreciation of the programme and thats why I like them and think theyre worthwhile. Anyone who doesnt, well, they dont have to watch them. Added extras on a dvd dont seem to unduly affect the dvds price, with vannila discs generally retailing at the same price, so the extras are a huge added bonus to those of us interested in such things.

I love DVD extras and I can watch them over and over again. The Spaced commentaries inspired me to stop just thinking of funny stuff and writing it down and try to flesh them out, write scripts and turn it into a credible hobby. When you see that their ideas stem from in-jokes and private silly thoughts it can be a real revelation I think.

lol vanilla discs, I've never heard that before.

I have no point, it's just that extras aren't a huge selling point to me.

I don't mind DVD extras, but I rarely-to-never actually watch them. I guess they're a nice supplement, as it were, but I'm perfectly happy buying 'vanilla' discs, as Matthew put it. In the end, it'll come down to whatever's cheapest.