DVD Hates... Page 2

Aaron said it better then me.

DVD's with extras are pretty much the same price. I mean you can get the first 3 seasons of Seinfeld boxset for £17.99 in Virgin Megastore and that has tones of brilliant extras, I mean that is a bargain if I've ever seen one.

Extras are a huge selling point to me, I rarely buy 'vanilla discs', because like Scott said I like to have an inside look to how the programme was made, what the writing process was like, how the casting took place, all of that is very interesting, especially to aspiring comedy writers.

On the subject of vanilla discs, I brought the two boxsets off all Red Dwarf episodes with no extras whatsoever, and I don't feel I've missed out on anything. I don't mind extras per se, but the more DVD's I get, the less I have time to watch them all. I'm currently watching Season 6 of Seinfeld and I gave up watching the extras at around episode 3. I'm just too busy.

I don't hate extras, I just answered the question to this thread without much thought. And very rarely have I seen extras that give you a good insight into the creative process, most of the time the 'audio commentary' is just them messing about and the 'making of' offers nothing except a pulled back camera angle that shows the original camera filming a scene.

One extra I did like was on the Office though, we're Gervais acted as though he was on one of those nostalgia shows.

And the Spaced ones were quite good, oh what the hell you've talked me into it, I love dvd extras! even though their only worth watching once and the red dwarf ones were boring and outtakes in general are tedious.

Quote: Aaron @ March 13, 2007, 6:56 PM

I don't mind DVD extras, but I rarely-to-never actually watch them. I guess they're a nice supplement, as it were, but I'm perfectly happy buying 'vanilla' discs, as Matthew put it. In the end, it'll come down to whatever's cheapest.

Totally the opposite. I love well thought out extra's and they'll encourage me to buy a special edition DVD or upgrade my VHS. I've never bought any OFAH DVD's, because I bought all the video's. I'm convinced that they MUST release them wth extras at some point, so I'm holding on. Why bother buying them now? They are always on the TV, I have the video's, Ican watch it when I like. Now if it has commentary and out-takes and deleted scene's, interviews and mini episodes, that would make them must have discs.

If it's something I really want, I'll buy any way, but if I'm in two minds, good extras will sway it. Commentary from someone important is the best addition. My favourite extras are on the Smoking Room DVD's, they are excellent.

I recorded most of my stuff off the TV, save me money and you don’t have to wait for it to be released, so I don’t have much in the way of extras, but as long as it doesn’t add to the cost what the hell put them on.

Did enjoy the commenter on Phoenix Nights added a new dimension, but in most case it’s a once only experience.

i like the extras on movies but i don't bother with extra's on series, in fact unless i like the movie i don't weatch them extra's, deleted scenes are always a waste of time apart from johnny english when the deleted scene is better than the scene they put in.

Quote: Britcom Barry @ March 14, 2007, 7:26 PM

Did enjoy the commenter on Phoenix Nights added a new dimension, but in most case it’s a once only experience.

It was done in character wasn't it?

Quote: Leevil @ March 14, 2007, 7:40 PM

It was done in character wasn't it?

No

Yeah I'm thinking of I'm Alan Partridge.

ROFL

What's the connection between Phoenix Night and I'm Alan Partridge? The bird-ish references?!

Brilliant! :D

Lol.

DVD extras usually only cost a couple of quid extra and you've got them just in case thee's a boring night on TV - but then that's usually the time I turn to this wonderful site.

Creep :P

I like the Dvd extras...i'll admit it. I love them. I just love seeing how producers and directors view their own work..and what bits they've edited out. It's just fascinating!!!!!

I used to like them as well, but just recently came to the conclusion that, I'm not too bothered about them and really at the end of the day I bought the dvd to watch the film/tv series.