Comedy Writers Conference/Workshop Page 3

Quote: sootyj @ November 21 2008, 11:13 AM GMT

Come on Bussell surely it's time for you to sell your talents like so much cheap wine?

Says the Blue Nun of satire.

I just plain can't write topical material. I can only write what makes me laugh.

118 118?

Quote: sootyj @ November 21 2008, 11:55 AM GMT

118 118?

Not much for one liners either. That said, it's looking like a slow day...

Come on turn to the dark side of comedy.

Greed turns to News Revue, News Revue turns to mobile phone gags.

Mobile phone gags turns to the darkside!

Except I have a funny feeling you never watched Starwars.

Quote: sootyj @ November 21 2008, 11:59 AM GMT

Come on turn to the dark side of comedy.

Greed turns to News Revue, News Revue turns to mobile phone gags.

Mobile phone gags turns to the darkside!

Except I have a funny feeling you never watched Starwars.

It's mainly Doctor Who I know nothing about in terms of sci-fi. I'm a comic collector for crying out loud. Watchmen is my favourite book. Not just comic book - any book. Did you notice the way I didn't say The Watchmen? I've seen Star Wars, sonny me Jim lad, don't you worry!

Just an unnatural aversion to England's favorite family friendly scifi crowd pleaser then?

They were good fun though, he didn't write Absalom Dak Dalek killer though did he?

That was awful.

Great Alan Moore stuff that predates Watchmen.

Halo Jones, Dr and Quinch, Brought to Light, Miracle Man, Skizz, Future Shocks, Captain Britain.

Bloody hell the man is a prolific genius.

Sorry to say it, but I think all writers' course are a complete waste of time and money. Unless it's for a more general purpose - i.e. encouraging non-writers to use creative writing as a way to develop as more creatively-minded people, I just don't see the point of it.

You can't teach writers how to write successfully. You can't teach people ideas. Acting masterclasses are just as bogus.

I just don't see the point of these things. I honestly don't.

So are you in or out, Tim?

Out for the count, I suspect.

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 24 2008, 1:35 AM GMT

Sorry to say it, but I think all writers' course are a complete waste of time and money. Unless it's for a more general purpose - i.e. encouraging non-writers to use creative writing as a way to develop as more creatively-minded people, I just don't see the point of it.

You can't teach writers how to write successfully. You can't teach people ideas. Acting masterclasses are just as bogus.

Conversely, if I didn't see the 'Introduction to Comedy Writing' course at Richmond College whilst looking for some sort of screenwriting course, I probably wouldn't have even realised that's what I wanted to do!

And it taught me all the basics of joke-telling, the 'rhythm' comedy and got me talking to like-minded people and having my stuff performed (albeit by the acting class downstairs). Also taught me what to do with my stuff, and focussed with 'homework' writing deadlines.

So I do see the point of these things. I honestly do.

Dan

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 24 2008, 1:35 AM GMT

The trouble with you, Tim, is you sit on the fence too often.

Fence-Sitter

Sitcom about a reformed opinionist trying to change his ways after a furious rant almost gets him killed. Laugh as people try to coax an opinion out of him only to be told 'I'm not getting involved'. Watch the inward fury as his eyes bulge and ears begin to bleed as people inadvertently inform him of their mistaken ways. Hilarity, indeed, ensures...

Dan

Look, I'm not claiming I know much about anything. It's just that when it comes to writing I think you learn by watching and reading. Spend evenings watching your favourite comedies, but really, really analysing the structure and why the characters work. I spent the other evening just watching a box set of Reggie Perrin, not to laugh at one of my favourites, but to scrutinise the writing and how the dialogue flows from the characters.

I spend at least a couple of nights a week just sitting in front of really good comedy DVDs - sitcom/film. And analysing the writing on great serious drama. Personally, this is how I have learnt something.

I'm a c**t, but a c**t who cares.

:)

I don't think you can teach ideas but I think you can teach how to 'write successfully' as you say. Personally though I find a talk/lecture type thing not that helpful - I could just read the same stuff. But I've found workshops and practical courses really, really helpful. Plus it also means you actually end up in a room with other live human beings.