Bonfire night! Page 5

I saw the flashes lighting up the curtains when I turned around. But am too lazy to go and see.

Quote: RubyMae - Glamourous Snowdrop at Large @ November 2 2008, 1:00 AM BST

I am going to see the flaming tar barrels! They are scary! what is evryone up to on the 5th? Are you lighting your own fireworks, going to an event, or staying in?

Just let our fireworks off - 50 quid up in smoke once again.

Hey I know somebody from Ottery St Mary. Susie Davis. Haven't seen her in YEARS. I think she became a trolley dolly.

When we first moved the Devon, the place my folks rented was at the very top of the tallest hill and had these massive french windows and you could see the whole town including the race course so we got to watch the fireworks for free!

Quote: Lee Henman @ November 5 2008, 8:00 PM GMT

Just let our fireworks off - 50 quid up in smoke once again.

Hey I know somebody from Ottery St Mary. Susie Davis. Haven't seen her in YEARS. I think she became a trolley dolly.

They nearly didn't have it this year cause they had a slight flood. Gutted I am missing it but there is always next year!

By the way that tar barrel rolling is just about the stupidest and most dangerous tradition I've ever seen.

But saves a fortune on eyebrow waxes!

They are good and have lots of safety measures :)

Like a pint of cider on hand to throw on anyone's hair that catches fire?

It's the Devon way.

It's like some pagan nightmare! Check this clip out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEsRfcA5dts

Virgins are burned at 10.

Well it's gone 9pm and already had fireworks hitting the conservatory... nice...

Anyone else shat themselves yet then?

No. We're made of stronger stuff. ;)

Never could understand the need for fireworks. They're potentially lethal, worry elderly people and animals (domestic and wild) and are used on too many "occasions".

Bonfires, yes. For those of us with >0.5 acre living in countryside (and where there are no local authority restrictions for burning).

Surely technological advances would permit some kind of virtual pyrotechnic display using lasers or something?

Quote: Geoff Mutton @ November 6 2008, 9:06 AM GMT

Surely technological advances would permit some kind of virtual pyrotechnic display using lasers or something?

Yes. But that would be shit.

And not the gorgeous smell.

Fireworks are beautiful!!

There's that to it as well.