Why does anyone need religion? Page 11

Quote: David Bussell @ April 21 2013, 11:11 PM BST

Ah, the old "If you don't know I'm not going to tell you" with just a little stink poured on for good measure. Nice.

No not at all, you said you can't comprehend, I have tried to explain my belief, so I don't see how this discussion has anywhere to go. If I came across as stinky I can only apologise, that was never my intention, but I think you have misunderstood what I said from the start, and you seem to get very worked up about your lack of belief and my opinion of atheists, which is one of total disinterest, having been one myself. Listen I'm not interested in converting you or anyone else. I'm just getting through it all as best as I can with my own beliefs, as I'm sure you are.

Art, literature, cinema, architecture, music - it would all be a lot blander in a world without God or religion.

Do many of your favourite books and films rely on religion? I'm sure there are lots, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Apart from Indiana Jones. The Ark and Holy Grail ones are brillopads.

Quote: Pingl @ April 21 2013, 11:16 PM BST

No not at all, you said you can't comprehend, I have tried to explain my belief, so I don't see how this discussion has anywhere to go.

The way I understand it you've pledged yourself to a God of your own making, given that it's not one not recognised by any organised religion. Unless you were visited by a supernatural entity I suppose. How could I possibly hope to comprehend unless you were to divulge further?

Quote: chipolata @ April 21 2013, 11:30 PM BST

Art, literature, cinema, architecture, music - it would all be a lot blander in a world without God or religion.

Fair point, I don't know that I could live in a world without The Devil's Advocate.

Quote: David Bussell @ April 21 2013, 11:50 PM BST

The way I understand it you've pledged yourself to a God of your own making, given that it's not one not recognised by any organised religion. Unless you were visited by a supernatural entity I suppose. How could I possibly hope to comprehend unless you were to divulge further?

Fair point, I don't know that I could live in a world without The Devil's Advocate.

I haven't created my own God,I'm not a bloody prophet, I believe in the God, but do not need to call myself a Christian, Jew, Muslim or anything else. I believe there is a God, but don't like or prescribe to any organised religion. Sorry if you can't understand that, but there you go.

Quote: Pingl @ April 21 2013, 11:56 PM BST

I haven't created my own God,I'm not a bloody prophet, I believe in the God, but do not need to call myself a Christian, Jew, Muslim or anything else. I believe there is a God, but don't like or prescribe to any organised religion. Sorry if you can't understand that, but there you go.

I see. So does your God not have laws and strictures like all the other ones?

You're not gonna waste your last few posts talking religion are you, David? I expect a big finish or you'll have to stay until 20,000 and do it properly.

Quote: David Bussell @ April 22 2013, 12:04 AM BST

I see. So does your God not have laws and strictures like all the other ones?

He's God, I have moral structures I follow, probably similar to yours, try to do no harm, love etc, they have nothing to do with my God any more than your morals have nothing to do with your lack of God. I just happen to believe their is a higher being, a God, who I have prayed to and has on occasion answered my prayers and helped me through some tough times. Sadly he never sent me some kind of guidebook by divine intervention, I just try to live and treat others as I would like to be treated.

Quote: Pingl @ April 22 2013, 12:11 AM BST

He's God, I have moral structures I follow, probably similar to yours, try to do no harm, love etc, they have nothing to do with my God any more than your morals have nothing to do with your lack of God. I just happen to believe their is a higher being, a God, who I have prayed to and has on occasion answered my prayers and helped me through some tough times. Sadly he never sent me some kind of guidebook by divine intervention, I just try to live and treat others as I would like to be treated.

I'd argue that morals predate God and that's it's quite possible to be good for good's sake, but whatever keeps you on the path of the righteous I guess. Besides, so long as you aren't following scripture I probably don't have to worry about you blocking gay rights, protesting funerals or detonating any clinics, so I'm sure we'll get along just fine.

I must be moving along now, given, as Nil has pointed out, that I have precious few posts left before I depart this forum. Thank you for the discussion.

Quote: David Bussell @ April 22 2013, 12:30 AM BST

I'd argue that morals predate God and that's it's quite possible to be good for good's sake, but whatever keeps you on the path of the righteous I guess. Besides, so long as you aren't following scripture I probably don't have to worry about you blocking gay rights, protesting funerals or detonating any clinics, so I'm sure we'll get along just fine.

I must be moving along now, given, as Nil has pointed out, that I have precious few posts left before I depart this forum. Thank you for the discussion.

No I'm not some right wing nutter who hates anything. Go in Peace my son ;)

Quote: chipolata @ April 21 2013, 11:30 PM BST

Many films feature war, crime, murder, that sort of thing; it's not really an argument in favour of those activities.

Quote: zooo @ April 21 2013, 11:45 PM BST

Do many of your favourite books and films rely on religion? I'm sure there are lots, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

I was thinking more how artists religion has played a part in who they are. Clearly being a Jew has played a big part in the films of Woody Allen. And Martin Scorses wanted to become a priest at the age of fourteen - he didn't, but Catholic themes of guilt and redemption have clearly played a big part in the type of films he's made.

There have also been loads of great films about religion and the religious: Black Narcissus, Four Lions, Ben Hur, Rec, The Life Of Brian etc.

Plus, since this is a comedy forum, no religion no Father Ted or Rev.

Quote: Nogget @ April 22 2013, 4:31 AM BST

Many films feature war, crime, murder, that sort of thing; it's not really an argument in favour of those activities.

Yeah it is, your making my point for me. All the bad stuff in the world helps create the good stuff. Murder, war and crime are a small price to pay. Or to quote Harry Lime: "In Italy for thirty years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, bloodshed-but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love, 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Quote: Pingl @ April 22 2013, 12:11 AM BST

I just happen to believe their is a higher being, a God, who I have prayed to and has on occasion answered my prayers and helped me through some tough times.

Did he lend you some money?

Quote: chipolata @ April 22 2013, 9:01 AM BST

Murder, war and crime are a small price to pay.

>_<

I think I'd rather live in Switzerland!

Plus they have snow.

Quote: zooo @ April 22 2013, 11:14 AM BST

I think I'd rather live in Switzerland!

Plus they have snow.

Hi baby!