Why does anyone need religion? Page 9

Quote: zooo @ April 20 2013, 11:34 PM BST

Kind of like the religious people who pat atheists' shoulders and smugly say they will pray for them.

*prays for zooo. Then realises is smug ath and stops*

You smugath!

Quote: zooo @ April 20 2013, 11:46 PM BST

You smugath!

Cool

Quote: chipolata @ April 20 2013, 11:30 PM BST

A lot of atheists are a bit smug and tend to look down on religionists.

And with good reason.

Religion is f**king stupid.

Quote: Pingl @ April 20 2013, 11:31 PM BST

But there is a rabid atheism, every bit as intolerant of belief as many organised religion, Dawkins for instance.

I wouldn't describe Dawkins as intolerant of belief. He's on record saying he goes to church at Christmas and sings along with the hymns. Not exactly the behavior of an intolerant.

He's intolerant of the bad shit that religious people do, and a passionate believer in the scientific method.

I believe in a God, but not in any organised religion.

I'd at least have to ask "Why?" before patronizing each of your points in turn.

Quote: chipolata @ April 20 2013, 11:30 PM BST

A lot of atheists are a bit smug and tend to look down on religionists.

Atheists don't claim to know how the universe came into existence, nor do they claim knowledge of an afterlife, nor do they claim to know what the creator of the universe's opinion is on, for example, hats.

What's the smugger position? Saying you already know the answers to the hard questions or actually trying to find out?

Why not. All I will say is that I have had low moments in my life where my prayers have been answered. God is a personal thing, I don't subscribe to any organised religion, I was a rabid atheist in my youth, but life has led me to believe in a God.

Atheists love Christmas its free holiday without the need to think. If people are truly atheist shouldn't they take a moral stand and work through Christmas and Easter, or maybe have their own holiday, possibly Nothingmass or Hopelessness.

Quote: Pingl @ April 21 2013, 4:25 PM BST

Atheists love Christmas its free holiday without the need to think. If people are truly atheist shouldn't they take a moral stand and work through Christmas and Easter, or maybe have their own holiday, possibly Nothingmass or Hopelessness.

Of course, Christmas was originally a pagan holiday before the Christians appropriated it. Knowing this, will you now celebrate the winter solstice properly?

See, some of us "think" all year round...

Arrogant pagans

Before them it was the caveman holiday of ugh

With mamoth instead of turkey and raping a marmoset instead of the queens speech

That's a very silly view to take, in my opinion.

First of all the typical Christian Christmas nicks stuff from all sorts of other traditions, paganism included.

I love Christmas, and follow all the traditions of my family Christmasses. None of it is explicitly religious, but is a mish mash of all types of influences.

Also you said this earlier...

Quote: Pingl @ April 20 2013, 11:15 PM BST

most believers couldn't give a shit what atheists think.

But you seem now to care rather a lot!

Why can't everyone do what they like and what makes them happy? Why do atheists need to be attacked by people saying they're not 'allowed' to do certain things? It's just silly.

Quote: zooo @ April 21 2013, 4:40 PM BST

Why can't everyone do what they like and what makes them happy? Why do atheists need to be attacked by people saying they're not 'allowed' to do certain things? It's just silly.

Unfortunately there's no room for that when you belong to a group that subscribes to proselytism.

Christmas dinner as its known now was pretty much a Dickensian invention

Almost all cultures have a festival of shit its cold and dark outside let's party and eat loads

Quote: David Bussell @ April 21 2013, 4:42 PM BST

Unfortunately there's no room for that when you belong to a group that subscribes to proselytism.

Who worships hookers that's just silly

I love this weird view that atheists are depressed and hopeless! Oh, and the old chestnut that non religious people can't possibly have morals or know right from wrong. Rolling eyes

I think it's pretty fair to say that there are smug people on both sides of the divide. But those on the wrong side really are the worst. *crosses arms, is smug*

Oh I seem to have scratched some kind of itch. It was really only a joke the Christmas thing but everyone seems to be getting very hot under the collar about it. I honestly couldn't give a shit what anybody else does or does not believe, I just don't want anyone's else belief or disbelief inflicted on me. I am very secure in my own beliefs. By the by the whole winter solstice thing is a red herring, it is a Christian festival that celebrates the birth of Christ that happens to have been placed where the old solstice was because it was a good time of year to hold it. Finally you are all assuming I am a Christian, I never said that.

Amen! ;)

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ April 21 2013, 5:50 PM BST

Amen! ;)

Bless you my son ;)