Room 101 - Series 2 Page 4

Loved hearing Skinner's longlist of hobbies; "which goes to show you can stop drinking but never replace it"

I liked that too.

He reminded me of this guy:

Will somebody buy Frank a pint? Every time he's been on TV in the last 12 months he's made a reference to his former alcoholism. That never used to be his schtick, did it? He's clearly crying out for a drink.

He obvously feels that he won the fight against his addiction. In this relative safe position he exploits his personal story (and maybe fights his still existing demons) so what he's entitled to. I must say I like his jokes about his former alcoholism. And one joke about alcoholism per show is much more bearable than those Muslim (or gay, or female or family men) stand-ups who are constantly exploiting their personal story and make a career out of it.
Let's have a drink now!

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ February 11 2013, 12:06 AM GMT

Will somebody buy Frank a pint? Every time he's been on TV in the last 12 months he's made a reference to his former alcoholism. That never used to be his schtick, did it? He's clearly crying out for a drink.

He and Mark whatshisface are always banging on about it.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ February 11 2013, 12:06 AM GMT

You should probably never listen to his radio show then!

(Actually you should, it's brilliant ;) )

I went to see what turned out being the first episode being recorded (Miranda, Reggie Yates, John Craven) and it was hilarious.
They had an "audience suggestion" round too, which I was very keen on because I was sitting right behind the person who ended up suggesting Gardening or something, so obviously I saw it as my chance to get my big break on TV.
"hey, look at that guy sitting there....wow lets get him some work.." etc

But all through the series and the extra storages I haven't seen them use an Audience suggestion round. Bit odd.
Guess they were all crap. *shrug*

I like the new series, but the thing I dislike most about it is when they give unfunny people lines that are supposed to be funny, it's just so out of place.

I'm looking forward to Series 14, particular the episode with Henning Wehn in it. His character and the format of the programme should work well together.

I liked yesterday's episode...actually Josh Groban seems to be a nice and laid back guy. He's not necessarily the boring douchebag I expected him to be.

Josh Groban and Michael Buble are both very self-depracating, charming and witty despite their bland music. Josh Groban was great the times he was on Buzzcocks.

I almost think of them as being honorary English people.
I don't know why any American with a decent sense of humour has to become English in my head, but there we are.

Quote: zooo @ 9th November 2013, 12:05 PM GMT

I almost think of them as being honorary English people.
I don't know why any American with a decent sense of humour has to become English in my head, but there we are.

Same here...if an American pop band is making quirky music and/or writes witty lyrics like Sparks or Talking Heads I think to myself "They're very British". Strange.

I think of British people being intellectually superior to Americans...well, and then there's David Beckham.

Fyi, Michael Buble is Canadian not American.

Quote: Tim Azure @ 9th November 2013, 9:51 PM GMT

Dorothy Parker
Steven Wright
Groucho and Harpo Marx
Robert Benchley
Seinfeld
Frasier Crane
Tennessee Williams

...and so on...

I meant the everyman...and most of all I didn't mean it literally. Like Geordies aren't really thicker than other British people for example.

Quote: Sal Paradise @ 9th November 2013, 7:33 PM GMT

Fyi, Michael Buble is Canadian not American.

Sorry to hear that, Sal. ;)