Miranda - Series 3 Page 34

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 30 2013, 11:02 AM GMT

Apparently that was the actress who plays Stevie's own idea.

And I love it - gets me every time (even if I suspect it should be 'old' by now).

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 30 2013, 11:02 AM GMT

Apparently that was the actress who plays Stevie's own idea.

Definitely should go then.

Quote: Nil Putters @ January 30 2013, 11:00 AM GMT

The only thing I dislike hate about the show is the Heather Small thing Stevie does. Please lose this in future series.

This is/was actually a good gag imo; but after the umpteenth time it gets annoying...like the fart jokes.

Cheers guys, I think I have got the point now, sort of...
Off to improve my English and my sense of humour

Since people have started talking about technical writing issues, if you want to judge the actual writing of Miranda as opposed to its final appearance (not that the writers didn't have that in mind...) there's a couple of scripts on the BBC Writers' Room website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/scripts/miranda-s1-ep3-job http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/scripts/miranda-s2-ep1-the-new-me

On a purely technical level, it's very tightly written with well-spaced comic lines that are often funny and never overwritten and a lot of attention played to plot development.
(The biggest technical issue with the scripts on paper is Miranda's lines sometimes seems to drag on unnecessarily, but even I'd admit she usually makes them work on screen.)
It doesn't score highly on originality, the supporting characters aren't very developed, the singing interviews are just silly and I think the Miranda character would be a lot funnier interacting with characters that treat her like real people would (and other critics probably hate her guts) but those are more subjective judgements.

If you want to see an example of a popular show that does appear to have many "technical" weaknesses (banter, underdeveloped jokes, irrelevant jokes and very slow plot development) there's always something like this to remind you that being a decent actor with a long-running and very popular stage show is sometimes worth far more with commissioners than being a technically excellent writer. :)

Ta.
:)

Quote: Lazzard @ January 30 2013, 11:02 AM GMT

"All mouth and no trousers" is a well-know phrase that means someone is all talk and no action ie she says she's going to go away but she won't actually do it.
The addition of 'literally' turns it into something completely different - a visual memory of a holiday
they have had together where she 'literally' was in a no trousers situation.

Yes?

I am 45, and have never heard of that phrase. The phrase now makes sense to the scene, BUT, it still isn't funny considering how many times Miranda has had her trousers, skirt, or dress ripped off for the effect of comedy!

Yes, it contains a lot of repetition. Like that M-People thing...

Quote: Nil Putters @ January 30 2013, 11:00 AM GMT

The only thing I dislike hate about the show is the Heather Small thing Stevie does. Please lose this in future series.

I second that. I can never make out what she's saying and I have no idea who Heather Small is anyway. Really wish she would stop doing it.

I know what she's saying and who she is, but it just annoys.

Quote: Nil Putters @ January 30 2013, 5:05 PM GMT

I know what she's saying and who she is, but it just annoys.

This.

It was a moment of mild amusement the first time, and established a quirky trait another couple of times after. But really, no.

Could anybody help me understand a couple of jokes from the last episode of 'Miranda', please?

Tilly says (after mentioning Teletubbies): And it's 100 percenter-tentacles not because the single pool is so teeny weeny.

=========What on earth should it mean? :$

At the ladies' shower: You've just missed Pass the HRT Parcel.

=========HRT Parcel?

PS I just love the series, really enjoying each episode.

Hi Ann, welcome.

Quote: Ann UA @ January 31 2013, 1:40 PM GMT

Tilly says (after mentioning Teletubbies): And it's 100 percenter-tentacles not because the single pool is so teeny weeny.

=========What on earth should it mean? :$

"It's definitely not because there are so few eligible single men." (Referring to her getting together with the oddball Charlie.)

Quote: Ann UA @ January 31 2013, 1:40 PM GMT

At the ladies' shower: You've just missed Pass the HRT Parcel.

=========HRT Parcel?

HRT - hormone replacement therapy, for women of a certain age. I don't recall the line but presume it's a joke at Miranda's mother's expense, playing on name of the traditional party game 'pass the parcel'.

So, you wanted to be a gynaecologist then, Aaron? ;)

Quote: Aaron @ January 31 2013, 1:45 PM GMT

Hi Ann, welcome.

"It's definitely not because there are so few eligible single men." (Referring to her getting together with the oddball Charlie.)

Thanks a lot, Aaron! Really quick reply! ;)

Now it is clear with the HRT parcel, but tentacles and Charlie... I didn't get the connection.

======
I've got it! "100 percenter-tentacles" = "definitely"! The English language is great and mighty! :D