Miranda - Series 3 Page 33

Quote: Charlie Boy @ January 30 2013, 9:33 AM GMT

But it works with Father Ted, and not with Miranda.

Miranda doesn't work because you don't like it.
Not because of technical issues with the writing.

Quote: Lazzard @ January 30 2013, 9:48 AM GMT

I don't like it because it's not funny.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ January 30 2013, 8:15 AM GMT

it only takes five minutes to actually write one.

I'm not sure how she writes it, and I'd like to know, because there's so much happening that it seems to me that a conventional script would take rather a long time to write.

Quote: Charlie Boy @ January 30 2013, 9:57 AM GMT

I don't like it because it's not funny.

Your ongoing confusion between 'opinion' and 'fact' makes this discussion rather pointless.

YES! Lazzard for Prime Minister.

What actually are technical issues with the writing? What does that mean?

Quote: Charlie Boy @ January 30 2013, 10:25 AM GMT

What actually are technical issues with the writing? What does that mean?

Technical issues are problems with style or construction in the writing that lead to things not being funny, or not working.

For example, in your re-write, you elected to remove the word 'literally' - thus removing a laugh from the script.
The word 'literally' was originally there to allow the image of Miranda without any trousers to be formed in the viewer's mind - leading to a laugh (which it did).

That's a technical issue.

It's interesting how split opinion seems to be on 'Miranda'. I can't think of any other topic that's so divided the British public...from Charlie Boy.*

* Well, maybe Doctor Who.

Quote: Lazzard @ January 30 2013, 10:35 AM GMT

Technical issues are problems with style or construction in the writing that lead to things not being funny, or not working.

For example, in your re-write, you elected to remove the word 'literally' - thus removing a laugh from the script.
The word 'literally' was originally there to allow the image of Miranda without any trousers to be formed in the viewer's mind - leading to a laugh (which it did).

That's a technical issue.

Quote: Cheryl @ January 30 2013, 2:07 AM GMT

STEVIE: No, you won't really go away. You're all mouth and no trouser on the travel front.
SOME OF THE AUDIENCE LAUGH
MIRANDA: Sometimes, literally, if you remember Marbella '96?
AUDIENCE LAUGH
Then the flashback.

Stevie has already said that Miranda is "no trousers on the trouser front"! so why would Miranda use the word "literally"?
Is there a variation of the phrase "no trousers on the travel front" that means something else?

He's allowed not to like it.
I personally am bemused by the positive reaction 'Bob Servant" is getting, but there you go.

But "it's not funny" is not the basis of a good discussion.

Quote: Charlie Boy @ January 30 2013, 10:54 AM GMT

Stevie has already said that Miranda is "no trousers on the trouser front"! so why would Miranda use the word "literally"?

Because then we cut to a flashback that shows her losing her trousers, as has already been mentioned. So she literally loses her trousers.

The only thing I dislike hate about the show is the Heather Small thing Stevie does. Please lose this in future series.

Is there a variation of the phrase "no trousers on the travel front" that means something else?

"All mouth and no trousers" is a well-know phrase that means someone is all talk and no action ie she says she's going to go away but she won't actually do it.
The addition of 'literally' turns it into something completely different - a visual memory of a holiday
they have had together where she 'literally' was in a no trousers situation.

Yes?

Quote: Nil Putters @ January 30 2013, 11:00 AM GMT

The only thing I dislike hate about the show is the Heather Small thing Stevie does. Please lose this in future series.

Apparently that was the actress who plays Stevie's own idea.

You don't get it so no point dissecting it here really.