The window of the Writers' Room is open again Page 4

I had a series go to offers at the BBC on the basis of one script sent in to the Writers Room. Didn't get made, but I used the story in something else.

Quote: Marc P @ December 19 2012, 3:14 PM GMT

I had a series go to offers at the BBC on the basis of one script sent in to the Writers Room. Didn't get made, but I used the story in something else.

Wasn't Arthur Askey up for the juvenile lead?
Whistling nnocently

Hello playmate! :) It was roughly seven years ago. I was doing other stuff but sent this to Writers Room as it was Radio and outside of others expertise as it were.

My first commissions with the BBC mind you were before there was a writers room, and by direct contact with editors and producers.

Yes , I have to admit that radio is the one time I'd give it a go.
Radio producers seem quite hard to pin down - compared to film people anyway.

Hello all, we got an email today to say that the script we submitted was one of the 16% that made it through to the next stage but unfortunately it didn't progress to the stage after that. Disappointing, but the script we submitted has led to meetings with several production companies as well as us getting new work optioned, so every cloud etc.

Congratulations on making the first stage - that's brilliant! :-) At a recent Writersroom seminar we were told the total number of scripts submitted in the Autumn window was 1,800 - so much respect to you. Surprised they have so quickly gone on to the next stage already though.

Quote: michael charters @ December 19 2012, 12:51 PM GMT

hi as anybody got word back from the bbc writers room? I got an email today saying my script didnt pass the the page 10 stage, is is just me who thinks a script can't be judged on the first ten pages and that the bbc writers room is a waste of time?

Me too - but I'm afraid you've got to grip them in that time.

Quote: chrisandbex @ December 19 2012, 5:42 PM GMT

Hello all, we got an email today to say that the script we submitted was one of the 16% that made it through to the next stage but unfortunately it didn't progress to the stage after that. Disappointing, but the script we submitted has led to meetings with several production companies as well as us getting new work optioned, so every cloud etc.

I got through the first stage as well! :-) Although it only meant that our scripts were read up to 20-30 pages and I didn't get through after that. Still, this is progress from Spring where I didn't get anywhere so top 16% out of 1800 is a very good thing!

Can I be cheeky and ask what production companies you've sent your script to? I am a total noob when it comes to this.

Finally, I don't think Writersroom is a waste of time. It's a lot easier to blame the industry than it is to take a long hard look at yourself and your writing skills - and I say this from experience!

Quote: Alan O'Brien @ December 19 2012, 8:34 PM GMT

Congratulations on making the first stage - that's brilliant! :-) At a recent Writersroom seminar we were told the total number of scripts submitted in the Autumn window was 1,800 - so much respect to you. Surprised they have so quickly gone on to the next stage already though.

Thank you!

Quote: writer for hire @ December 20 2012, 10:31 AM GMT

I got through the first stage as well! :-) Although it only meant that our scripts were read up to 20-30 pages and I didn't get through after that. Still, this is progress from Spring where I didn't get anywhere so top 16% out of 1800 is a very good thing!

Can I be cheeky and ask what production companies you've sent your script to? I am a total noob when it comes to this.

Finally, I don't think Writersroom is a waste of time. It's a lot easier to blame the industry than it is to take a long hard look at yourself and your writing skills - and I say this from experience!

We sent the script to all the production companies we like and thought were appropriate and/or have contacts at.

do they still offer feedback if you get through the first stage?

Quote: blahblah @ December 21 2012, 10:39 AM GMT

do they still offer feedback if you get through the first stage?

Unfortunately not, it would have been great to compare the notes from the person who read the first ten pages of the script and progressed it with the notes of the person who read the first twenty pages and didn't.

As some of you will remember from a previous Writers Room thread, I had a script get quite far along the road with this. It got through however many stages there were, then dropped right before the final stage, at which point writers were invited in. I received, instead, feedback and asked to send something else in, didn't have to be during the open window for script submissions, and that it would get a full read. I sent something recent (Last script was pretty old) and it has had a full read and has now been recommended on for, I suppose, another full read by someone else. And I got some feedback. Hopefully this time I might get to see what the stage after I was dropped last time looks like.

We sent the script to all the production companies we like and thought were appropriate and/or have contacts at.[/quote]
So... going back to his original question...what companies did you send it to?

The ones they liked or they thought appropriate and have contacts at, seems to be the answer.

hi can anyone help with a problem I'm having? Quite a few year ago there was a two part drama on bbc I think, which was about del boy from only fools where he was young and went on a bike trip with his mates, does anybody remember it and know what it was called I've looked everywhere on the net but can't seem to find it. Or and its not the Rock & Chips spin off. hope someone can help cos it been doing my head in for weeks now haha.