The window of the Writers' Room is open again

Right, it's time to whack off something in an envelope...

Should there be a thread for people to share the stuff they're thinking of submitting? If so, could this be it?

I've found that pasting stuff into a forum post is bollocks: I'd much rather give someone a link to a PDF (easier to read, proper formatting, etc.).

So if there's anyone who wants to see a bit of my stuff as a PDF, or who would be kind enough to have a look at what I've got, and offer some critique/suggestions, do say, and I'll post a reply or send a pm with a link to a PDF of my first bit.

Thanks

EDIT: It's just occurred to me that this would be the wrong forum to post material for critique/comment. What's a girl to do?

EDIT: Oh, I know: make another thread! https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/post/915458/

Right, it's time to whack off something in an envelope...

Arghhh, I knew somebody was peeking through my window last night.

Also... it's best to create a Critique thread for sharing stuff you're thinking of sending out.

Quote: bigger niche @ September 21 2012, 5:42 PM BST

EDIT: It's just occurred to me that this would be the wrong forum to post material for critique/comment. What's a girl to do?

So you're a girl!!!

Yes - I just noticed this looking on the Writers Room page. Got something ready - not a comedy - just need to get myself sorted.

Window closes at the end of October.

Quote: Chappers @ September 21 2012, 7:52 PM BST

So you're a girl!!!

Err ... it's just a figure of speech.

I know it's easy to be taken in: that Gerry had me going until recently because the girl picture he uses had me thinking he was a right little goer called Geraldine. Turns out I was wrong and I still feel a bit icky about it TBH. F**k knows how I'm going to be able to bring up internet pictures in confession again.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ September 21 2012, 7:49 PM BST

Arghhh, I knew somebody was peeking through my window last night.

Also... it's best to create a Critique thread for sharing stuff you're thinking of sending out.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I got confused because WR is a Writing Opportunity, but then I realised that work for comment requires a critique.

Here's the thread in Critique

The formatting of the BBC's cover sheet - the words 'pig's ear' spring to mind ...

Yes but I can't download and print the bloody cover sheet.

Quote: Chappers @ September 24 2012, 6:17 PM BST

Yes but I can't download and print the bloody cover sheet.

I've sent it to you as an email attachment.

HTH.

Quote: bigger niche @ September 24 2012, 6:28 PM BST

I've sent it to you as an email attachment.

HTH.

Thanks for that.

Now one final question. I have skimmed through all the terms and conditions, how to send it etc but...........

(and I know I'm not the brightest filament in the light bulb)

...........WHAT IS THE ADDRESS TO SEND IT TO?

OK - panic over. Eventually found it.

If anyone else needs it it's....

Script Room Autumn 2012
BBC writersroom
Zone 07C
BBC Broadcasting House
Portland Place
London
W1A 1AA

Don't forget to tick the boxes that get you to confirm:

I have included a script

I have replicated all the standard contact info from the cover page

I have drawn a nice picture to go with it

It's orl mi own werk

Yes, I'm *sure* it's orl mi own werk

Yes, I agree the cover sheet is both embarassing and patronising

Quote: bigger niche @ October 4 2012, 9:32 PM BST

Yes, I agree the cover sheet is both embarassing and patronising

Like a lot of their mainstream peaktime telly. Funny that.

Are the BBC sure that a load of disillusioned writers and an open window is a particularly good combination?

Or perhaps that is the idea...

It's one way of reducing the slush pile.

They have the oxbridge test for that1

Quote: Marc P @ October 6 2012, 1:17 PM BST

They have the oxbridge test for that1

Quite.
I guess if you'd been to the trouble of getting to Oxford and you still couldn't get some post-boy in the Writers Room to read past page 10 - then an open window might be quite inviting.

I always start my scripts at page ten. It worked for me!