Nerd/Boffin Technical corner. Page 62

Quote: swerytd @ September 3 2012, 12:31 PM BST

I'm going for an ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity (A700 model) as my next laptop as I've got pissed off with Windows taking so long to load up.

That's one of the things that's impressed me most with Windows 8. I've got the release preview on an SSD hooked up to a fairly old PC and it boots in about 5 seconds from a cold restart.

My son got this keyboard case thingy for £12.00

http://www.egukdeals.com/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name=ipad&product_id=113

The Google (Asus) Nexus (8GB) is exceptional for 159 quid. It's a top-of-the-range tablet at bottom-of-the-range price (basically to eat into the style-over-substance idiots who are considering an iPad mini). Fits neatly in one hand and isn't too heavy.

It's perfect for what you want, sootyj, by the sound of it.

Quote: Ishy @ September 3 2012, 12:50 PM BST

That's one of the things that's impressed me most with Windows 8. I've got the release preview on an SSD hooked up to a fairly old PC and it boots in about 5 seconds from a cold restart.

And in two years time with its 17,000 security updates it will take 45 minutes to be useable.

Don't forget, the last year's worth of Windows patches all have a single line of code:

wait(300 seconds)

Dan

I dunno the GUI in 8 looks terrible. Everything is just everywhere. Why can't they release a version for normals and for people who know what their doing (I supposethat's Linux)

I am thinking of replacing my HDD for a SSD for primary drive in my desktop should make it alot faster.

Quote: Gavin @ September 3 2012, 12:58 PM BST

I dunno the GUI in 8 looks terrible. Everything is just everywhere.

I am thinking of replacing my HDD for a SSD for primary drive in my desktop should make it alot faster.

I must admit I normally switch straight away from the metro screen into desktop mode. I think on a touchscreen device it could really work though. Also it's worth switching to an SSD if not for the speed for the lovely lack of noise.

Quote: Gavin @ September 3 2012, 12:58 PM BST

Why can't they release a version for normals and for people who know what their doing (I supposethat's Linux)

I'm a MS software developer so I normally gravitate towards their operating systems but Ubuntu is very nice. The wobbly windows effects are worth the installation time alone :)

Quote: swerytd @ September 3 2012, 12:54 PM BST

And in two years time with its 17,000 security updates it will take 45 minutes to be useable.

Don't forget, the last year's worth of Windows patches all have a single line of code:

wait(300 seconds)

Well there is some truth to that for sure. So far though my experiences with it have been very positive.

Today, for no logical reason, I have started getting these little boxes (with question marks in) instead of pictures, or links to those pictures.

I'm on a Mac, with Mountain Lion, using safari with a Virgin Superhub. Tried Firefox too and that's the same.

Anyone got any ideas, or a Photobucket account they can look at to see if they have the same problem?

This is what I see here.

See, that's showing a question mark in a box too. :( Hoping it's a Photobucket issue.

Quote: Nil Putters @ September 4 2012, 9:59 PM BST

Today, for no logical reason, I have started getting these little boxes (with question marks in) instead of pictures, or links to those pictures.

I'm on a Mac, with Mountain Lion, using safari with a Virgin Superhub. Tried Firefox too and that's the same.

Anyone got any ideas, or a Photobucket account they can look at to see if they have the same problem?

This is what I see

See, that's showing a question mark in a box too. :( Hoping it's a Photobucket issue.

Did you sort it? Looks fine on my IE but sometimes I get that too for an hour or so then it sorts itself out.
I always presume my computer's just resting it's eyes

I think it was, hopefully, a problem with Photobucket as it seemed to have sorted itself out later that night. Thanks.

Would think it was packet loss on your connection Nil. Photobucket doesn't allow .pngs though for some f**king reason.

What is packet loss? I thought it was a phone thing?

They were uploaded as jpg images.

I'm getting a Samsung Galaxy S3 phone on Tuesday. They have HUGE screens.

Quote: Ben @ September 23 2012, 4:27 PM BST

I'm getting a Samsung Galaxy S3 phone on Tuesday. They have HUGE screens.

I've got one. It's veeery nice.

Get a blue one. It goes faster.

You'll be glad to hear, Ray, that I opted for blue.

I am delightiated.

Note 2! Note 2! Screen is even BIGGER!

Dan