Attack The Block Page 3

Quote: NBDelboy @ June 25 2012, 10:46 PM BST

Maybe you shouldn't have been so rude in your reply. Any narrow minded prick can assume that working class kids brought up with no money whatsoever that live in a rough neighbourhood know better than to mug people.

I wasn't at all rude to you, yet you still felt the need to call me a moron.

Let's face it: the vast majority of poor kids don't grow up to be thieving thugs. That holds true for the U.S., UK and everywhere else. Right is right and wrong is wrong.

This has all been blown out of proportion! I apologise DaButt for being rude, I thought you were being rude to me, I misunderstood.

Quote: Aaron @ June 25 2012, 11:11 PM BST

saying they were merely bored is a tedious excuse for law-breaking.

Thats not what I was trying to say at all. Sorry, its my bad, I've obviously not been very clear (not sarcasm). Its far too late for me to even try to explain what I was trying to say. :L

It's far too complex a subject to boil down to wrong and right. You've got decades of ghettoised (sp) areas of major cities, with poor education and benefits, generations of parental disinterest, and of course the age old issue of drugs and good old peer pressure. Mix in a healthy dose of anti-authority thinking and gang lifestyle. Jumping on either side of the fence, saying they're either good kids who got bored or bad kids who should know better, is a naive over simplification at best. Lazy socio-economic profiling is one of the reasons we are in this sorry mess.

One thing I didn't understand (which is entirely irrelevant, but still). Was the 'block' they kept going on about the neighbourhood/area as in the American meaning of block. Or the actual specific tower block.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ June 26 2012, 12:03 AM BST

It's far too complex a subject to boil down to wrong and right. You've got decades of ghettoised (sp) areas of major cities, with poor education and benefits, generations of parental disinterest, and of course the age old issue of drugs and good old peer pressure. Mix in a healthy dose of anti-authority thinking and gang lifestyle. Jumping on either side of the fence, saying they're either good kids who got bored or bad kids who should know better, is a naive over simplification at best. Lazy socio-economic profiling is one of the reasons we are in this sorry mess.

^^That's what I was trying to say!! But about a million times better (as in what "Nat Wicks" said was a million times better than anything I would have said) :L

Quote: NBDelboy @ June 26 2012, 12:07 AM BST

^^That's what I was trying to say!! But about a million times better :L

She's always doing that.

Quote: zooo @ June 25 2012, 10:37 PM BST

I could see what Cornish was trying to say, but I think the kids stayed unsympathetic for too long. I personally only started to sympathise with the main few properly about 10 minutes before the end.

I had the same issue with this film. By the time the muggers had turned into 'brave children with trust issues' I found it hard to care as I'd already spent most of the film hating them for being uncaring violent little shit-bags (who I was hoping would be eaten by the strangely unrealistic alien-gorilla-things). Angry

Edit - took too long to post and the conversation has moved on. Sorry and Hi!

Quote: zooo @ June 26 2012, 12:08 AM BST

She's always doing that.

Cool

For me, the best thing about it was the fluffy aliens. I thought they were delightful.

Quote: zooo @ June 26 2012, 12:06 AM BST

One thing I didn't understand (which is entirely irrelevant, but still). Was the 'block' they kept going on about the neighbourhood/area as in the American meaning of block. Or the actual specific tower block.

I think it was probably a dual meaning thing for America. So it probably was just meant to mean the Tower block, but American audiences could also interpret it as the neighbourhood meaning and it still make sense. Sorry, I tend to explain things a lot (albeit badly), even if something is common knowledge or really obvious.

I liked their teeth.

I loved the whole homemade man in a suit alien thing. They weren't scary though, as they weren't supposed to be!! Angry

Quote: zooo @ June 26 2012, 12:19 AM BST

I liked their teeth.

Cracking dentistry. I thought they looked really good. Saw Super 8 at the same time and can't remember a bloody thing about it. Tedious explosion adventure.

Quote: NBDelboy @ June 26 2012, 12:21 AM BST

I loved the whole homemade man in a suit alien thing. They weren't scary though, as they weren't supposed to be!! Angry

Same. Really nice visual fx that you can't get with nasty CGI.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ June 26 2012, 12:22 AM BST

Really nice visual fx that you can't get with nasty CGI.

God I hate CGI. Its overused and lazy.

I did find them quite scary at the end when they were chasing Moses out of the flat in slow motion, en masse. They looked at their most real then.

I almost always prefer 'man-in-suit' or puppet to CGI but I didn't like these at all (and not in a good scary way). Maybe I was just biased because I like my 'baddies' and 'goodies' easily identified early on in a film and I was disappointed.