Not Going Out - Series 5 Page 22

Quote: Dr Sanchez @ May 21 2012, 7:57 PM BST

See looked and sounded more like stroke victim than a drunk person to me.

Agreed, her drunk performance was cringewothy and awful.

With Tim going, where does this leave Daisy?

Quote: bubbles1505 @ May 19 2012, 5:50 PM BST

Waiting for my DVD to arrive from Amazon too. Hopefully Monday. Glad to hear the outtakes are good, that's the bit I'm looking forward to watching the most! :)

Hi. Does anyone know what (if any) extras are in the box set please? I don't really want to buy just the episodes as they're on Dave most weeks.

As Mrs Marsh and myself went to a couple of recordings, it would be nice to see the outtakes.

Thanks muchly.

Quote: Percival Marsh @ May 25 2012, 9:04 PM BST

Hi. Does anyone know what (if any) extras are in the boxset please? I don't really want to buy just the episodes as they're on Dave most weeks.

As Mrs Marsh and myself went to a couple of recordings, it would be nice to see the outtakes.

Thanks muchly.

Yep, plenty of bonus material on the DVDs & and the out-takes are just as worth seeing as if they were an episode in their own rights :)

Quote: dennispennis123 @ May 25 2012, 6:11 PM BST

Agreed, her drunk performance was cringewothy and awful.

Got to agree. It was terrible. Like she was trying to play a whiney child. Errr

I don't see the absense of Tim being a problem for Daisy. She can just be Lucy's friend and that can be an excuse for her coming round to the flat. She seems to be the sort of character who can't take a hint so will stay there for ages, thus annoying Lee.

Quote: bubbles1505 @ May 25 2012, 11:01 PM BST

Yep, plenty of bonus material on the DVDs & and the out-takes are just as worth seeing as if they were an episode in their own rights :)

Cheers bub..............

Quote: Dave @ May 26 2012, 12:44 PM BST

I don't see the absense of Tim being a problem for Daisy. She can just be Lucy's friend and that can be an excuse for her coming round to the flat. She seems to be the sort of character who can't take a hint so will stay there for ages, thus annoying Lee.

If she became Lucy's friend she would actually have more reason to be around than she does currently.

Sometimes when she shows up it seems forced and irrelevant.

Quote: Bronwinning @ May 20 2012, 4:38 PM BST

Ah okay, served me right for using the tax dodgers, I suppose.

They're not tax dodgers, and in fact probably pay more than Amazon do. They're just a little slower to despatch new releases sometimes.

Just caught up with the final episode and absolutely loved it. By far and away the single best episode of any new sitcom that I have seen in a very, very long time. Laughs from start to finish, great gags, and an excellent storyline in a very traditional vein of sitcom storytelling. I really can't praise it highly enough.

Only flaw is, as has been noted, the re-casting of Tim and Lucy's father still grates on me. I guess Timothy West was just too busy and expensive to use beyond what they presumably assumed would be a one-off guest appearance.

Quote: Aaron @ May 31 2012, 2:51 AM BST

Just caught up with the final episode and absolutely loved it. By far and away the single best episode of any new sitcom that I have seen in a very, very long time. Laughs from start to finish, great gags, and an excellent storyline in a very traditional vein of sitcom storytelling. I really can't praise it highly enough.

I re-watched this episode the other day and actually enjoyed the fact that Lee and Lucy were complicite, rather than Lee and Tim. They made a nice team. It certainly sets up well for future series without Tim.

Out of interest, what were the ratings like for series 5?

Quote: Lindyloop @ May 31 2012, 2:19 PM BST

I re-watched this episode the other day and actually enjoyed the fact that Lee and Lucy were complicite, rather than Lee and Tim. They made a nice team. It certainly sets up well for future series without Tim.

Exactly what I thought. It's almost that Tim has become supplementary (perhaps why he left), with the stories and action focussing on Lee and Lucy. Not, I must admit, a change I'm unhappy about: as you say, they made a nice team. There's a great play-off of tension and contrasting personalities between them, plus the underlying sexual tension. The show's in a good place. I'm far more confident about a Tim-less future after watching that episode.

Quote: Lindyloop @ May 31 2012, 2:19 PM BST

Out of interest, what were the ratings like for series 5?

I haven't yet double-checked a few of the figures this is based on, but it got an average of just under 4.33 million across the run. Lowest was 4.06 m. Doesn't sound like much in comparison to the 18 million we talk about for the 1970s and 1980s hits, but it's near unheard of these days.

As a series, Series 5 was the most watched ever.

And the final episode was the most watched single episode ever with 5.33m.

The thing is, if Tim leaves (and why the hell is he? It can't take that much of his time up. It seems to me a bit like those soap stars who leave because they think there's a great singing/acting in the U.S career ahead of them, which their agent has probably talked them into), where is the "threat" that adds tension to the Lee and Lucy situation?

Surely there needs to be some barrier to the relationship, otherwise it wouldn't work as well.

If one of Lee's old school friends came on the scene needing a place to stay, and offered to pay Lucy rent which meant Lee was relegated to sleeping on the sofa, and then Lee's mate was also making a play for Lucy's affections, that would add the tension back into the "will they or won't they" question as well as providing great opportunities for comedy as Lee and his friend try to get one over on each other to impress Lucy.

Of course, Lee's old school friend would have to be a good looking chap in order to make us root for Lee.

I'm available for filming.

Quote: Clint75 @ May 31 2012, 7:30 PM BST

The thing is, if Tim leaves (and why the hell is he? It can't take that much of his time up. It seems to me a bit like those soap stars who leave because they think there's a great singing/acting in the U.S career ahead of them, which their agent has probably talked them into), where is the "threat" that adds tension to the Lee and Lucy situation?

Surely there needs to be some barrier to the relationship, otherwise it wouldn't work as well.

Her father's been playing an increasing role of late, you may have noted.

Not to mention their conflicting personalities: even if they do start a relationship, Lee's still a rather lazy, slightly stupid northerner whilst Lucy's a picky, slightly posh southerner who exercises and even has a job. There's plenty there to keep them apart, or to keep them on the brink and Lee covering his tracks should they indeed get together.

Quote: Clint75 @ May 31 2012, 7:30 PM BST

If one of Lee's old school friends came on the scene needing a place to stay, and offered to pay Lucy rent which meant Lee was relegated to sleeping on the sofa, and then Lee's mate was also making a play for Lucy's affections, that would add the tension back into the "will they or won't they" question as well as providing great opportunities for comedy as Lee and his friend try to get one over on each other to impress Lucy.

Of course, Lee's old school friend would have to be a good looking chap in order to make us root for Lee.

Unlikely as it's ground they've already covered, first with Guy, and in this series with the singer in Tim's band. Guy was so-so but it was terribly annoying with the more direct play-off against Lee recently. I can't see it being pulled out again.

I'd like to see a (nice normal) woman brought in who is attracted to Lee. Then whether or not Lee likes her in return, Lucy can be jealous.

If they got together I imagine they would turn into Ben and Susan from My Family which were great as a couple.