Grandma's House - Series 2 Page 10

Don't think it was axed, I think the writers don't want to make any more.

Hmmm, hmmm, brings up several points here, which writer? Both? Amstell, very possibly, he's got more work lined up in his better known jobs, can't afford the time to write a new series, but the pro writer with few credits to his name? Turning down his b&b work? Really?! He must be very confident of getting other commissions then. Sounds to me like he's having to go along with Amstell.

And the ratings thing, in my mind a factor. If they'd been airing to millions then I'm not sure they'd be talking about ending it at two. Sounds like a classic case of a writer's own PR, they've been given the hint by the channel that another isn't likely and so they put their own image-saving spin on it.

Then, and not leastly, we have the mystical figure of 2 here. Two series, how often does that happen at the Beeb?! I'm not going to research it as I know it has to be easily the most common number of BBC sitcom series made. That's a big factor too, has to be, for whatever curious reason the Beeb have for it, it happens way too often to be mere coincidence. They just seem to like making two, unless the show's a clear winner, in which case they'll go on, (or a real stinker which forces them to close at one) but the annals are full of okay or average sitcoms getting two series. I think the site's editor could confirm that.

GH seems another case of auntie's two's just right policy. And when you reason it out, there are many logical reasons for it.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ May 18 2012, 8:29 AM BST

Sounds like a classic case of a writer's own PR, they've been given the hint by the channel that another isn't likely and so they put their own image-saving spin on it.

Rolling eyes

Quote: zooo @ May 18 2012, 12:21 AM BST

That would be a shame, but kind of understandable, I'm not sure where these characters would go in the future. If they all move on from the established dynamic - everyone trapped together at Grandma's House - then it would be a different animal.

No more pudding I guess. :(

I would have liked to see a series based at Simon's new flat in London.

Quote: zooo @ May 18 2012, 12:21 AM BST

I don't think it has a hope in hell of being picked up again regardless.

Quote: zooo @ May 18 2012, 1:58 PM BST

Don't think it would have the same charm. Just a lonely homosexual moping around his trendy flat waiting to get sex murdered.

:D

Well, maybe his mum could come and stay to get away from that horrific soon to be husband of hers.

I found this latest episode a little average. Didn't seem as dynamic in terms of laughs or plot for me.

Simon was being a bit annoyingly passive. Letting the cousin have thousands, probably letting his aunt skim a thousand off that, and then agreeing to give that moron another 7 thousand to pretend to give his mum for the roof.

A bit too silly/unrealistic/annoying.

Quote: zooo @ May 18 2012, 6:33 PM BST

Simon was being a bit annoyingly passive. Letting the cousin have thousands, probably letting his aunt skim a thousand off that, and then agreeing to give that moron another 7 thousand to pretend to give his mum for the roof.

A bit too silly/unrealistic/annoying.

Agree with this 100%. Some decent parts to the latest episode, but the way the plot developed was a little bit annoying and silly. I just wanted to shake Simon, as you say he was annoyingly passive.

Quote: zooo @ May 18 2012, 1:58 PM BST

Is he even getting out of the house? I thought at the end of the last episode that seemed unlikely.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ May 18 2012, 8:29 AM BST

Then, and not leastly, we have the mystical figure of 2 here. Two series, how often does that happen at the Beeb?! I'm not going to research it as I know it has to be easily the most common number of BBC sitcom series made. That's a big factor too, has to be, for whatever curious reason the Beeb have for it, it happens way too often to be mere coincidence.

The same reason American Presidents only serve two terms. Early on a highly revered figure, who didn't really want to go on, made up the B.S. excuse two is enough for anyone. You really think there are only 12 good Fawlty Towers stories to be told? John Cleese just didn't want to keep working with his ex-wife and he himself was maybe incapable of telling more Fawlty tales. Same way George Washington said 2 terms is enough for anyone as President; when he just really couldn't be bothered to keep doing a job he never wanted.

A fine end to the series. Loved Clive wrestling Ben to the floor. Seems like the show's been left open for a return one day.

Quote: Ben @ May 24 2012, 11:47 PM BST

A fine end to the series. Loved Clive wrestling Ben to the floor.

That was good, as was Clive as a sitcom monster, but the rest was just too small really, including the subject. Clive and the cousin were the only decent sitcom characters in there, the rest were too normal and everyday and dull, especially the main character.

Then you had the material, which was a matter of taste, some may have found it 'brilliant' but many more would have found it quite boring, very samey and pointless, and a bit tasteless at times, so pretty much the same divisions of opinions The Royle Family got, with a much weaker main character. Amstell thinking that people would be interested in a sitcom about him was possibly the funniest joke in it. BBC, no more of this barely a sitcom vanity project nonsense please! Learn the lesson that the ratings tell you. And get back to making true sitcoms.

I would love a third series. :)