The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 352

Why are there futuristic gimps on the pitch?

Quote: Gerry McDonnell @ May 5 2012, 3:27 PM BST

With Tottenham having practically a bye tomorrow,

Don't underestimate the Lilywhites ability to seize defeat from the jaws of victory. I think the arse just keep dropping points to tease us.

In

Not fully over the line.

Stage one of my plan complete, now come on Bayern! :D

Quote: Badge @ May 1 2012, 12:23 AM BST

I'm a big admirer of Fergie, but I have to agree. In fact he's ballsed up selection and tactics in every massive game in the last couple of years, with tonight and last year's CL final being the stand-outs. Why leave out Valencia, and leave Rooney isolated as a result? Why persist with Park and Giggs who were doing nothing? And although after 60 mins I had to check that Scholes was on the pitch - he'd been that anonymous - for the next 10-15 mins he bossed the game as City dropped back and gave him space to pass. So why bring him off? It was seriously poor from Fergie, and Man U deserved to lose. City big favourites now, cos they aren't going to fail against QPR at home on the last day.

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Quote: Oldrocker @ May 1 2012, 12:38 AM BST

Fergie for Wolves? One last 'Hurrah' !

Duchess of York? At centre forward?

Quote: Oldrocker @ May 1 2012, 12:46 AM BST

Nothing from Chappers?

Must be pissed somewhere, dancing on tables singing the Birdy Song !

;)

Out of the country at the time! I did see it though and laughed and cheered.

Quote: Tuumble @ May 1 2012, 1:24 PM BST

Sadly I still think United will win it. Trouble is, Man City already think they're there so when the head to Toon and come back with a 1-1 draw they'll be relying on Sunderland getting them out of jail on the final day. Can't see that somehow.

Sunderland beat them last time City won the league.

And Chelsea qualify for the Europa League - at least!!!

Quote: Chappers @ May 6 2012, 12:58 PM BST

Duchess of York? At centre forward?

She couldn't do much worse than Doyle !

Right - coming to the Hodgson story I think they've made a good choice. He won leagues in several countries, managed three different international teams and can speak several languages. He got his couching badges early and played just down the road from where I'm sitting now. Yes - I know that last bit doesn't qualify you for England but there were a group of young men in the same area at the time who went on to be good coaches.

Redknapp probably suffered in the same way as Clough in not being a Yes man but really what has Redknapp achieved as either a player or manager? An average winger and then kep jumping managerial ship for a few dollars more - and there's still the stigma of the financial irregularities. No smoke without fire.

Right - now that burst is over I'd better take a nap.

Bugger.

Come on City!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brilliant. That should make ferguson scowl more. And if Swansea get a point or three I fear for their players in the dressing room. (No I don't really! :))

Sorry for QPR fans. I've always had a bit of a soft spot for them. They were one of the great teams in the 1970s. Anyway with Barton it couldn't happen to a "nicer" person - I hesitate to say "man."

So now the Wright-Philips's could be facing each other next season.

OK - maybe I was wrong. Well done QPR. I'd like Bolton to stay up though. Maybe Blackburn will win to drag Wigan back down into it. They've struggled for years.

Quote: Tursiops @ May 5 2012, 5:07 PM BST

Don't underestimate the Lilywhites ability to seize defeat from the jaws of victory. I think the arse just keep dropping points to tease us.

Apologies Tim, we strangled the life out of the game by playing seven defenders and Heskey (which is quite attacking for McLeish).

Even when you were down to 10 men I still expected you to win though.

I see ferguson is complaining that he might get gazumped on some of his targets by the big spending clubs.

Bloody hard luck. They've been plundering other clubs for their best players for about 40 years so stop whinging.

Looks like Everton will be finishing above Liverpool, so I'm fairly happy. If we'd made it to the FA Cup Final, and certainly if we'd won it, Moyes would have been a strong candidate for Manager of the Year, what with him having no money to spend again.

:P Pleased about City!

Quote: Chappers @ May 6 2012, 1:04 PM BST

Right - coming to the Hodgson story I think they've made a good choice. He won leagues in several countries, managed three different international teams and can speak several languages. He got his couching badges early and played just down the road from where I'm sitting now. Yes - I know that last bit doesn't qualify you for England but there were a group of young men in the same area at the time who went on to be good coaches.

Redknapp probably suffered in the same way as Clough in not being a Yes man but really what has Redknapp achieved as either a player or manager? An average winger and then kep jumping managerial ship for a few dollars more - and there's still the stigma of the financial irregularities. No smoke without fire.

Right - now that burst is over I'd better take a nap.

Probably all true - on balance Hodgson does seem to make more sense. Having said that I don't see what benefit speaking several languages has for an Englishman managing England. If he was taking over at Arsenal I could understand that maybe or if he had a degree in scouse on his CV.

Quote: Tuumble @ May 7 2012, 1:00 AM BST

Probably all true - on balance Hodgson does seem to make more sense. Having said that I don't see what benefit speaking several languages has for an Englishman managing England. If he was taking over at Arsenal I could understand that maybe or if he had a degree in scouse on his CV.

:) Yes would have to at the Arse but clearly Scouse was beyond him.

Redknapp's managerial achievements.

Bournemouth Football League Division Three: 1986-87
Football League Trophy: 1983-84
West Ham United UEFA Intertoto Cup: 1999
Portsmouth Football League Division One: 2002-03
FA Cup: 2007-08
Tottenham Hotspur Football League Cup runners up: 2009

Hodgson's

Halmstad Allsvenskan (2): 1976, 1979
Malmö FF Swedish Football Champions (2): 1986, 1988
Allsvenskan (5): 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989
Svenska Cupen (2): 1985-86, 1988-89