Post-credits scene - what's the convention?

Howdy.

When writing a sitcom script, is there a standard way to add a scene after the end credits? So, like, it's as though the episode is finished, the credits roll, then there's a little added scene after.

Would you just include it as part of the script and make no reference to the credits and leave that to the production team, or would you flag it up?

I have the Phoenix Nights scripts, where there is always a ridiculous nightclub act audition after the credits. It is written like this at the end of Scene 20 in Episode 1.4, for example:

JERRY
I've found your missing beer crates but they've nicked your organ.

BRIAN
Bastards.

END CREDITS

SCENE 21. INT. GALAXY LOUNGE. DAY
Backing music 'NELLIE THE ELEPHANT'
We are on the build up to the chorus...
[Blah blah blah]
... and he is jumping up and down to the music.

ALL
Next!

THE END

So here the actual occurrence of the credits is inserted in the script. I never know whether published script books can be trusted as an example of proper script formatting. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts about this? Am I getting too concerned about the finer points of sitcom script formatting?

Sorry for the length of this post. I'd appreciate any feedback.

Cheers.

Stu

I guess if the point of the scene is that it needs to be after the credits, you should do as the above has.

Agreed.

I want to see the rest of that episode! It looks brilliant!

That's settled then. If only the burning question "Boxers or Briefs?" was so easy to answer.

Thanks for your input!

Stu

I would think that's a directorial decision.

I love it when sitcoms give us a little 'extra' once the credits have rolled. Makes you feel like you got a nice bonus. Still Game does them particularly well.

Do put a scene like this in but, if it's going on the BBC, be prepared they might cut it. Why? Because of their bloody 'credit squeezing promos'.

Incidently the best after-the-credits scenes come from the Charlie Brooker Screenwipe episode about this very issue. In that episode, which can be seen on YouTube, the whole show followed the credits squeeze! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yrm2dj6bIU0

I've got them in my current sitcom.

I am planning on doing the scenes as the credits roll, the format of which can be found on the *appalling* Two Pints sample script downloadable from WritersRoom.

Quote: Stuart Sutcliffe @ January 22, 2008, 7:23 PM

That's settled then. If only the burning question "Boxers or Briefs?" was so easy to answer.

Thanks for your input!

Stu

Boxers, hang loose brother Cool