Laugh Track - Studio Sitcom Contest Page 13

Quote: Marc P @ March 7 2012, 8:58 AM GMT

As ever it is how you use them. Apply the usual rules of narrative and make the flashbacks reveal character or story or reverse expectations and they are fine. What changes in the scene is a good question to ask yourself. Avoid them for ploddy exposition. Coupling did an episode brilliantly with flashbacks from three different perspectives if I remember it correctly.

Ah, those were the days, Marc. When Moffat talked the talk and walked the walk. Now he just talks the talk. :(

Quote: chipolata @ March 7 2012, 9:42 AM GMT

Ah, those were the days, Marc. When Moffat talked the talk and walked the walk. Now he just talks the talk. :(

Took too much on I fancy. Entropic minimalism is the way forward!

Does anyone have a good example of an outline?

Bugger. I sent my script in to the address they said on the proper page. http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/opportunity/laugh_track_2012.shtml

I.E.
"To enter, send your script, outline and completed application form to:
BBC Writersroom
W1 NBH 07C
...etc"

I've just looked over the small print elsewhere and see...

"4. Entries must be submitted by post and must clearly state 'Laugh Track'on the envelope."

Which I didn't do..... So....
Do I resend? And hope I don't get told off for sending it twice?
Or hope they open it before the deadline and realise it's for the comp?

Send it again.

Dan

Does anyone know if we are allowed to submit a pilot, or does it have to be a random episode?

Does anyone have a good example of an outline?

When I write an outline, I begin with a few paragraphs explaining the general gist of the sitcom, then I do a character breakdown, (a brief paragraph about each main character) and end it with ideas for future episodes.

Does anyone know if we are allowed to submit a pilot, or does it have to be a random episode?

I could be mistaken, but I'm sure I read once on the writersroom blog that they prefer to see a pilot.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ March 10 2012, 2:45 PM GMT

I could be mistaken, but I'm sure I read once on the writersroom blog that they prefer to see a pilot.

Yeah, I thought that, thanks Mikey.

I've always thought it's best to send an ordinary episode, not a pilot.

Is this the same shiding as last years Laughing Stock? Because I'm going to enter the same script and ideas for this.

I guess the trick is to write a pilot episode that isn't overly 'set-up' so its a story in itself.... rather than 'oh, 5 of us hot twenty-nothings are moving into a house together - and you, hot girl, I like you but I won't show it....yet'. Cue suspense.

With the outline, how specific are people being. I have gone down the route of giving a character brief (half a page) which means I only have room for one or two sentences for each episode. Worried this might not be enough detail.

what are others doing?

Quote: Twitchy @ March 11 2012, 4:59 PM GMT

With the outline, how specific are people being. I have gone down the route of giving a character brief (half a page) which means I only have room for one or two sentences for each episode. Worried this might not be enough detail.

It should really be the script that "does the talking," i.e. sets up the world, introduces the characters and shows us their traits, personalities, etc.

The outline should be just... well, an outline.
Synopsis, brief character breakdown, (2 or 3 sentences per character) future episodes, (optional) and how you see the series progressing.

I might not send my current project now. Really won't suit a studio. Weird because I totally thought it would, but a) More than half the scenes are outdoors and b) the gag/joke/physical comedy ratio is down than I thought. It completely evolved away from what I aimed. I really like it though.

However, my Laughing Stock entry from last year might work as a studio thing. It has more jokes (well, gags and references) than it did last time (I rewrote bits later last year). Does need a couple of outdoors scenes changing, but the dialogue can say, I just like jumping between locations. That'll be curtailed.

Sod!

I've just noticed the cut-off as being 9am on the 21st, whereas we had presumed it would be by the end of.
Lost a day.
Bloomin' nuisance but might have to drop it off by hand on the 20th as if post it on the 20th what if it gets there at 9:30?
That'll teach us to go to the wire!

Note to self: Must learn to read as well as write.

Or you could post it on Friday 16th or Monday 19th or (risking it a bit) Tuesday 20th.

Quote: Feeoree @ March 11 2012, 8:02 PM GMT

I Does need a couple of outdoors scenes changing, but the dialogue can say, I just like jumping between locations. That'll be curtailed.

I'm sure they will allow some outside location scenes, as most "studio" sitcoms have them.