Laugh Track - Studio Sitcom Contest Page 8

Quote: Jinky @ February 8 2012, 12:59 AM GMT

Though she also gave us Gavin and Stacey

Noooooooooo!

Quote: Jinky @ February 8 2012, 12:59 AM GMT

Those of us who made it to the end know that it's Butterflies plus Friday Night Dinner

Nooooooooooooooooooooo!

Quote: AJGO @ February 7 2012, 11:01 PM GMT

Stuck at fifteen pages. Stuck, stuck, stuck

Did you not plan it out first?

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 8 2012, 12:40 AM GMT

That is indeed true, I am making some massive assumptions about the judging panel and their comedic tastes and I could very well be totally wrong. (I'm not though)

If the judging panel were Sharon Horgan, Jenny Eclair and Jo Brand, perhaps I wouldn't fell so 'jittery' about the process and would never have espoused the ageist and sexist remarks I've stated previously.

Why not just look upon it as a challenge,rather than something awful. Can you adapt to what you think they're after and still write something you're proud of? Seems a better way to go about things rather than teeth gnashing.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 8 2012, 9:03 AM GMT

Did you not plan it out first?

Yes, I was wondering the same thing myself!

Dan

Quote: Badge @ February 8 2012, 12:31 AM GMT

Perhaps this is the problem? You think that middle-aged women of a certain type will only like or appreciate certain types of comedy. You know, just like only people who are dead like Laurel and Hardy, because that's so old-school.

Yup, sod tailoring it. Mine really only has a bit of rude in it anyway. And not as sweary/crude as Mrs Brown's Boys. Which appears to have a big audience of all ages.

Though I think that may be down to it being a simple family based sitcom.

In an ideal world my entry draft will be part Spaced, part Community, and part friends. Just won't be as good, aghh.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 8 2012, 9:03 AM GMT

Can you adapt to what you think they're after and still write something you're proud of?

For example: Gavin and Stacey uses the names of serial killers.

Bland and edgy at the same time!

A quick Google informs me that 'Pedora' and 'Penazi' are Italian and Slovakian surnames. This means I'm changing the title of my yet unwritten entry to Pedora and Penazi and will probably just rip-off Gavin and Stacey by having my main characters driving between Milan and Bratislava all the time.

Hi Everyone,

I've come late into this event and this thread. I remember there was a "Sitcom Showcase" last year which I believe was conducted through production companies.

Can anyone please explain what exactly is the format for this year's Sitcom Showcase?

Ta.

Quote: Goldnutmeg @ February 8 2012, 11:17 AM GMT

Hi Everyone,

I've come late into this event and this thread. I remember there was a "Sitcom Showcase" last year which I believe was conducted through production companies.

Can anyone please explain what exactly is the format for this year's Sitcom Showcase?

Ta.

BBC writers room - opportunities.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ February 7 2012, 11:28 PM GMT

Don't worry AJ, whenever I reach a mental block, I ask myself - 'What would three middle aged Oxbridge educated women, who've never worked a day in their lives, find funny?'

Problem solved!

It is, I think, preferable to have a comedy competition judged by people who've made their living out of making good and popular comedy on the telly than by people who haven't.

On a separate subject, The Sitcom Trials scripts will be selected by the writers who've submitted them and judged by members of the public.

A "resources" page has be put online to provide a collection of sitcom writing resorces. Some of the resources seem a bit odd. One of them is a script of Outnumbered, which isn't a studio sitcom.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/opportunity/laugh_track_resources.shtml

Isn't Outnumbered supposed to be at least partially improvised, too??

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 8 2012, 3:42 PM GMT

Isn't Outnumbered supposed to be at least partially improvised, too??

True, but I can't recall anything in the Laugh Track rules that said that improvisation was banned.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ February 8 2012, 3:44 PM GMT

True, but I can't recall anything in the Laugh Track rules that said that improvisation was banned.

I just mean that as an example it's extra odd; not only is it non-studio, but it's not a strictly set script, supposedly.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 8 2012, 3:46 PM GMT

I just mean that as an example it's extra odd; not only is it non-studio, but it's not a strictly set script, supposedly.

Are you saying the script I sent in that simply says "actors improvise hilarious plot and dialogue" might be in some jeapordy?

Quote: David Bussell @ February 8 2012, 3:48 PM GMT

Are you saying the script I sent in that simply says "actors improvise hilarious plot and dialogue" might be in some jeapordy?

To be fair, it probably stands more of a chance than if you'd actually written it.

*Zing!*

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 8 2012, 3:53 PM GMT

To be fair, it probably stands more of a chance than if you'd actually written it.

*Zing!*

Flawless victory! Stott is the winner!