Alan Partridge autobiography - 'I, Partridge' Page 2

Started to read the book. It's good. But the audiobook is better as he reads it in character and with expression. The first few minutes it does sound like he's reading, but once he gets the flow going it very entertaining. I love audio comedy, so a 7 hour one will do me good :)

10/10

Amazing.

Needless to say, I had the last laugh.

Quote: Leevil @ October 21 2011, 3:58 PM GMT

Started to read the book. It's good. But the audiobook is better as he reads it in character and with expression. The first few minutes it does sound like he's reading, but once he gets the flow going it very entertaining. I love audio comedy, so a 7 hour one will do me good :)

Excellent. That was my concern about the audiobook - that it might not be properly in character and sound like he was just reading it but in Partridge's voice.

I'm definitely getting the audio book as well then.

I never really looked into Alan Partridge's material, but this looks interesting. Will I 'get' it if I read it? Or should I look at some of his other work first?

I'd recommend looking at some of his other stuff first.

He does a good job of not rehashing the things we've all seen too much but I think knowing the character would definitely be of use before reading the character's autobiography as there are definitely things in there which are funny because you know the character rather than being gags in their own right.

Watch 'I'm Alan Partridge' first. Then if you like, seek out his other TV shows and then read the book because he references a lot from the shows. It's still a good book on its own but I think it would lose something if you can't recall what he's talking about. There're also instances where he lies about events to make himself look better, again something you'd only get if you have seen his other work.

Have you ever shaved your crackling?

I went for the audiobook (stops the road rage on the drive to work). His retelling of his encounter with Jed the stalker from I'm Alan Partridge Series 1 is worth the money just on its own. Alan's account differs somewhat from the 'true' story. Rather than a headlock and some bad breath, Alan recalls a full on martial arts style brawl, with forward rolls and everything! He also elaborates on his detective series idea 'Swallow' with a full synopsis of the plot of what would be the pilot episode (if the BBC ever get their act together and commission it).

Well worth a purchase, much better than any 'legit' comedian autobiography.

Really really funny book, I have my iPhone next to me when I read it so I can read it with the recommneded soundtrack (the book tells you to play different songs at different points). But still is a very amusing book.

The audiobook has brought me many hours of fun - it's pretty easy to dip into it wherever you like as well. I was very proud to discover that he was born in my beloved King's Lynn. However, he pronounced Wisbech as "Wisbeck" which is completely wrong. It is, of course, pronounced "Wisbeach". It's a trifling matter though, so I'll let it slide.

Quote: Ben @ March 30 2012, 11:18 PM BST

The audiobook has brought me many hours of fun - it's pretty easy to dip into it wherever you like as well.

Loving it as well. Really funny.

I wonder what people would think of it if they've not seen the TV series (with some of the humour based on the fact that, as a listener, you know what Alan is recounting isn't really what happened)...

[Incidently, if you know anyone that wants a copy of the audiobook, direct them to this link for a free download: http://www.audible.co.uk/britishcomedy - it's very hassle free if you use your Amazon login. Important to read the small print though as it will begin a subscription after 14 days if you don't cancel]

I just finished reading it, wonderful stuff. On Spotify someone had already put together a playlist for the soundtrack... which was great since I don't have many of the songs on CD or .mp3.

How does the audio-book handle all the footnoting? Once you remove the 40 or so notes to 'press play on track #' there still about 200 footnotes.

Quote: MTpromises @ April 3 2012, 9:10 PM BST

How does the audio-book handle all the footnoting? Once you remove the 40 or so notes to 'press play on track #' there still about 200 footnotes.

There is no instruction to 'press play' on the audiobook. Obviously, since you can't listen to two things at once if you only have one CD player available.

No idea if any other footnotes are kept in - Alan doesn't say "footnote" before he mentions anything that could be considered a footnote or an 'aside'. Maybe someone who's both read and listened to the book can clarify?