The League Of Gentlemen Page 2

Inadvertently?

Hmmmm

Admit that you are LOG Geek Agnes, and post a picture of the album.

Quote: Agnes Guano @ August 12 2011, 10:41 PM BST

I inadvertently attended a League of Gentlemen convention last week in my local pub. Living as I do in Hadfield and all that. It was very odd to enter the pub and spy at least five people with blacked up faces pretending to be Papa Lazarou, as well as to be served chocolate cake by a girl dressed as Hilary Briss (complete with ginger sideburns, blood stained overalls and toy machete). There were some Morris dancers with blacked up faces performing before the pub quiz on Wednesday so a regular theme does seem to be developing.

*In a Tina Fey voice*

"I want to go to there".

Quote: Agnes Guano @ August 12 2011, 10:41 PM BST

I inadvertently attended a League of Gentlemen convention last week in my local pub. Living as I do in Hadfield and all that. It was very odd to enter the pub and spy at least five people with blacked up faces pretending to be Papa Lazarou, as well as to be served chocolate cake by a girl dressed as Hilary Briss (complete with ginger sideburns, blood stained overalls and toy machete). There were some Morris dancers with blacked up faces performing before the pub quiz on Wednesday so a regular theme does seem to be developing.

Wow.

I always wanted to go to Hadfield back in the days of LofG. I knew some people who went up, dressed up, and wandered around to all the locations. Gawd bless 'em.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ August 12 2011, 10:46 PM BST

Inadvertently?

Hmmmm

Admit that you are LOG Geek Agnes, and post a picture of the album.

I admit it sounds like a confession, but on this occasion no! The occasional Carry On convention possibly...

I have recently moved up to Hadfield and the League of Gentlemen lot were celebrating the tenth anniversary of their first convention. Bless 'em. There is still an Edward's Wine Bar and a Cafe Royston in the village and the aforementioned pub does still have the 'You'll Never Leave' street sign proudly displayed over the bar. The filming locations are all pretty much as they were and all the locals are still odd and ever so slightly deranged, as you would hope and expect. Alas, no special stuff in the butcher's though.

THAT YOU KNOW OF.

Quote: zooo @ August 13 2011, 12:32 AM BST

THAT YOU KNOW OF.

Yeah, I've probably not been here long enough.

The interesting thing about League Of gentlemen is if you watch an episode in isolation it's a sketch show, if you watch a whole series it seems more like a sitcom. I used to love it, especially the first series. The landlord from hell was particularly funny.

Maybe it's a Skitcom then - or a Setch show.

Now. Does the news about the LoG/HH crossover go here or in the Horrible Histories thread? :D

Well, it's three of them signing up to be in Horrible Histories rather than a cross-over, so... ;)

Personality I call these kind of shows Sketchcoms. Burnistoun and the new This is Jinsy seem to fall in this category.

I love League of Gentlemen. Wish they'd do more : (

It never occurred to me that LOG was anything other than a sketch show.

Quote: happychef @ October 1 2011, 12:19 PM BST

It never occurred to me that LOG was anything other than a sketch show.

Apart from series 3.

It never occurred to me that it was anything other than a sitcom. (Until I came here.)