Writing for female characters Page 4

Develop your female character just as you want her to be.

If she can't be compared to a recognized comedy character, you've got yourself a unique selling point.

Quote: Jane P @ July 7 2009, 1:36 PM BST

But you can see, even from a thread like this, that men and women do talk quite differently, whether it's tone or subject matter.

On a different forum, I used the name 'anemone anomaly' and after many weeks, several posters stated that they were very surprised to discover I was a man; they had assumed from my flowery* name that I was a woman, even though I at no time attempted to hide my masculinity. My point is that in this particular case, people were willing to 'hear' a woman's voice with only the slightest of reasons to do so.

* And when I created the name, I was thinking of the sea anemone (I live on the coast), not the flower.

You're a BLOKE? :O

Quote: SlagA @ July 7 2009, 2:41 PM BST

You're a BLOKE? :O

I was going to tell you in the morning sweetie.

Laughing out loud
Anyone else think that picture is kind of a visual oxymoron?

Wow! He's the perfect image a man. This had better move over,

Just spotted this on James Cary's Twitter account. Seems fun.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ September 14 2011, 3:51 PM BST

That's brilliant!

Quote: Ian Wolf @ September 14 2011, 3:51 PM BST

Yes, but how seriously should we take it? Villainesses aren't believable characters but they still show strong women. And what has being killed before the third act got to do with character anyway? It's not a personality trait, is it? It's not as if it always happens to a person. And why shouldn't strong women have a flaw come to think of it-Achilles was a 'strong' man after all.

Quote: Tim Azure @ September 14 2011, 6:48 PM BST

Yes, but how seriously should we take it?

I think there's a clue in that the site is called 'overthinking it'! I'd say that while it's an amusing analysis, it's also implicitly saying it's taking it to absurd extremes.

Yep. What he said.

That's just laziness Zooo!

How dare you call me, an upstanding citizen still in her pyjamas at 3:07pm, lazy!
I ask you.

Well I am in my dressing gown I grant you, but I am about to take a bath so that is allowed!

I am in a dressing gown and not about to take a bath.