Catherine Tate accused of racism Page 5

LOL

Quote: Aaron @ December 30, 2007, 11:21 AM

Not according to my OED.

It must be racist.

Well it is the Oxford (Oxfordist) English (Englishist) Dictionary (Dickist)!

Quote: ContainsNuts @ December 30, 2007, 11:10 AM

Guys, please invest in a dictionary or some education, racism is usually the result of ignorance and some of you are so ignorant you don't even know that you can use the word 'racist' against someone who stereotypes people from a country in derogatory way.

Eh? Ok then smart bum was Catherine Tate Racist bearing in mind that Northern Ireland is still part of the UK but has been politically divolved. Answer that one.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ December 30, 2007, 11:10 AM

Guys, please invest in a dictionary or some education, racism is usually the result of ignorance and some of you are so ignorant you don't even know that you can use the word 'racist' against someone who stereotypes people from a country in derogatory way.

Like its racist to say all French people smell of garlic etc.

Now of course everyone starts jumping around when the 'r' word is used, thinking it can only be used to label people in white pointy hats but it goes on all the time if you look at everything through a magnified glass.

I still think it was a careless thing to do. Its not like they had someone handing out these presents and the recipients were insulted thus mocking the apparent ignorance of the giver. They were gratefully giving and receiving these presents therefore the message is lets laugh at the stereotype of what 'Northern Irish people give each other'

Yeah but after all we're only talking about Catherine Tate so who gives a toss?

Hey ContainsNuts, you don't happen to be this person do you?

I'm sure that was worth the effort.

Can you not see the skill that went into the arrow?

Anyway...back on track. Rolling eyes

Quote: Nigel Kelly @ December 30, 2007, 11:21 AM

I dont think it was racist and if other people think it was, big bloody deal.

The bottom line was that it wasnt funny.. it is lazy comedy to use Northern Ireland and do terrorism related humour.

Yeah, it's not like there's ever been any terrorism in NI or the mianland or anything.

[quote Kent Pete did a Radio Ulster spoof sketch a few weeks back and mentioned Catholics/Protestants.. he has since been terminated. [/quote]

That's going a bit far.

Quote: Philly Baby @ December 30, 2007, 3:46 PM

Yeah, it's not like there's ever been any terrorism in NI or the mianland or anything.

>_<

Quote: Philly Baby @ December 30, 2007, 3:46 PM

Kent Pete did a Radio Ulster spoof sketch a few weeks back and mentioned Catholics/Protestants.. he has since been terminated.

That's going a bit far.

It was not for that reason.

hello

Quote: ajp29 @ December 30, 2007, 1:40 PM

Eh? Ok then smart bum was Catherine Tate Racist bearing in mind that Northern Ireland is still part of the UK but has been politically divolved. Answer that one.

It's still a country, I can't believe I'm still defining the word. That was never in question apart from here. No one else has questioned 'can you be racist against NI?' apart from here, everyone else is discussing the actual sketch and how it can be seen as racist or not. Unbelievable.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ December 31, 2007, 11:02 AM

It's still a country, I can't believe I'm still defining the word. That was never in question apart from here. No one else has questioned 'can you be racist against NI?' apart from here, everyone else is discussing the actual sketch and how it can be seen as racist or not. Unbelievable.

Well you should know by now that that's the way things work on here.

Quote: David Chapman @ December 31, 2007, 11:54 AM

Well you should know by now that that's the way things work on here.

What does 'work' mean?

Quote: ContainsNuts @ December 31, 2007, 12:09 PM

What does 'work' mean?

No idea - never done a day's worth in my whole life.