Catherine Tate accused of racism Page 4

Some people just like complaining for the sake of it. Make them feel important. :(

Quote: David Chapman @ December 30, 2007, 12:54 AM

I think that Charles is having a go about you all being Celts and ginger.

Actually, I would say that the classic Irish look is dark hair and swarthy skin (gypsy/romany look).. the Scots are as ginger as f**k however i'll give you that.. and the Welsh have whiteish hair, almost wool-like in texture.

.....and people from England have three arms and hairy knees.

Quote: Nigel Kelly @ December 30, 2007, 2:32 AM

Actually, I would say that the classic Irish look is dark hair and swarthy skin (gypsy/romany look).. the Scots are as ginger as f**k however i'll give you that.. and the Welsh have whiteish hair, almost wool-like in texture.

Have you ever heard of the "Black Irish"? Apparently, centuries ago, when the Spanish Armada was attempting it's invasion of England, which was famously scuppered by a ferocious storm, a few ships lost track of the others, and ended up running ashore off the West Coast of Ireland. Legend has it that those Spanish sailors ended up staying there, marrying local girls. Some people claim that is why a lot of people from the West of Ireland have dark hair. Other people say the original inhabitants of Ireland all had dark hair, before the lighter-haired Celts invaded.

Quote: David Chapman @ December 30, 2007, 12:54 AM

I think that Charles is having a go about you all being Celts and ginger.

I just lose respect for a people when they suffer from a famine.

Quote: Charles E. Lawley @ December 30, 2007, 3:14 AM

I just lose respect for a people when they suffer from a famine.

Didnt affect me.. I'm a fat bastard!

Quote: ajp29 @ December 29, 2007, 10:09 PM

Or is it?

Of course it's not: just like insulting Jesus and Chistianity is not religious descrimination.

Quote: RubyMae - Glamourous Snowdrop at large. @ December 30, 2007, 2:45 AM

.....and people from England have three arms and hairy knees.

Ruby, why do you get so stressy and stroppy when people talk about stereotypes and the like? Do you see yourself as some kind of crusader for the great opressed?

People that use sterotypes are the bloody same!

Guys, please invest in a dictionary or some education, racism is usually the result of ignorance and some of you are so ignorant you don't even know that you can use the word 'racist' against someone who stereotypes people from a country in derogatory way.

Like its racist to say all French people smell of garlic etc.

Now of course everyone starts jumping around when the 'r' word is used, thinking it can only be used to label people in white pointy hats but it goes on all the time if you look at everything through a magnified glass.

I still think it was a careless thing to do. Its not like they had someone handing out these presents and the recipients were insulted thus mocking the apparent ignorance of the giver. They were gratefully giving and receiving these presents therefore the message is lets laugh at the stereotype of what 'Northern Irish people give each other'

I dont think it was racist and if other people think it was, big bloody deal.

The bottom line was that it wasnt funny.. it is lazy comedy to use Northern Ireland and do terrorism related humour. Kent Pete did a Radio Ulster spoof sketch a few weeks back and mentioned Catholics/Protestants.. he has since been terminated.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ December 30, 2007, 11:10 AM

Guys, please invest in a dictionary or some education, racism is usually the result of ignorance and some of you are so ignorant you don't even know that you can use the word 'racist' against someone who stereotypes people from a country in derogatory way.

Not according to my OED.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ December 30, 2007, 11:10 AM

Like its racist to say all French people smell of garlic etc.

But they do all smell of garlic.

Laughing out loud

I'll have you know Nigel Kelly from NI that not all Welsh people have white like wooly hair, though strangley enough my girlfriend does. If ewe not what I mean. ;)