Girls On Top Page 4

Quote: HatedNYC @ May 17 2011, 10:10 PM BST

What's most unfortunate about this series is how many people can't appreciate it's humour.

Er, yes, most people not finding the humour funny is always a tricky problem for a sitcom... Errr

I think you and I have come to a great revelation.

;)

Quote: Tim Walker @ May 17 2011, 10:20 PM BST

Er, yes, most people not finding the humour funny is always a tricky problem for a sitcom... Errr

Actually the word sitcom is pretty naff come to think of it and maybe that is part of the problem.

As I have often said to those who say that it's unfunny - I laugh often and find it very amusing.
Incidentally, I don't think smiling instead of laughing out loud is necessarily a bad result.

I'm guilty of smirking, smiling, laughing and the occasional guffaw (the latter requires some intoxication). If I find myself actively looking for a episodes online or television I consider that a comedic success. I think my tastes are broad enough to admire intellectual as well as toilet humour. Yay for me. :P

There are many moments from this that still make me laugh. Dawn French sniffing Hugh Laurie's sock, Tracy Ullman pretending to date Prince Andrew... I loved it (I thought the theme music was good too). :D

Quote: ToddB @ May 18 2011, 12:34 AM BST

As I have often said to those who say that it's unfunny - I laugh often and find it very amusing.

Yes, I imagine the topic of obscure 1980s ITV sitcoms must come up in conversation on an almost-daily basis.

Quote: Tim Walker @ May 19 2011, 2:53 PM BST

Yes, I imagine the topic of obscure 1980s ITV sitcoms must come up in conversation on an almost-daily basis.

*taps foot* *looks around*

Quote: Tim Walker @ May 19 2011, 2:53 PM BST

Well, I've discussed fairly often, relatively, when on this site, in point of fact.
I haven't seen you rear you Benny-Hill-loving head on this thread much yet - so welcome - I gather we don't have another fan in our midst. :D

This thread is truly baffling.

Quote: lofthouse @ May 20 2011, 1:53 PM BST

This thread is truly baffling.

It doesn't cost that much - buy it and be done with it! Cool

Just to bring it back on topic for a moment, I used to love this when it was first on but haven't seen it since. I used to do a quite passable Jennifer Saunders impression based around her performance in the show. That and Mr Gibson who taught English. Oh they were heady days.

I was just musing that the Jennifer Marsh character that Jennifer Saunders plays in this is like an earlier incarnation of the bubble character that Saunders created for Jane Horrocks in "Absolutely Fabulous".
There is also a lot of Lady Carlton in June Whitfield's Mother character form "Ab Fab".