On The Buses movies are great Page 3

There are a lot of modern shows you could describe as 'tripe', but Outnumbered is certainly not one of them! It's one of the finest sitcoms of the 2000s.

Quote: OnTheBusesCrazy @ May 13 2011, 11:36 AM BST

The films are classics, if you don't agree with that then I say 'Why do they show them so much on telly?' (because people want to see them)

Another answer to that question might be 'Because they have a f**king massive amount of digital airtime to fill and films like those cost them bugger all to show'... but you continue to indulge your self-delusion if it makes you happy. :)

"Your sausage is bigger than mine!"

Genius. :|

Quote: Aaron @ May 13 2011, 11:54 AM BST

There are a lot of modern shows you could describe as 'tripe', but Outnumbered is certainly not one of them! It's one of the finest sitcoms of the 2000s.

You gotta be joking!

That show does not stand anywhere close to many other shows from the past or now. ;)

It's miles ahead of most contemporaries.

Quote: Griff @ May 13 2011, 12:39 PM BST

You might like to compare the ratings of ITV3 On The Buses films and BBC One's Outnumbered.

*wonders if Griff's argument will cut much ice with someone called OnTheBusesCrazy*

Depends if it runs for another 4 series... ;)

Even though it has been shown many times the On the Buses movie on ITV3 was watched by over 631,000 viewers on Christmas Day. That is the day the main channels are meant to screen their best stuff to attract the viewer but over 631,000 had decided to get back onboard
Steve
ON THE BUSES fan club
web site; www.onthebusesfanclub.com/
Now in our 11th year
Nostalgia Never goes out of fashion

Omni-buses was funnier.

Every time this thread moves back up to the active threads list part of me dies.

I know the thread title isn't a question, but the answer is no.

On Buses was wonderful and typical 70s telly yet although it was just as 'racist' and 'sexist' as Love Thy Neighbour and Mind Your Language, strangely, it never comes in for the same criticism even though it was cut from the same comedy cloth.

As sexist as many other 1970s series, certainly, but just as racist as Love Thy Neighbour? What makes you say that?

Because whenever a black character was introduced - usually Kenny Lynch - it always came down to clichéd 1970s perception of 'blacks'. Although not ever known as a racist programme, I recently saw an episode of George & Mildred where he was being examined by a coloured doctor and, as was typical of the day, it was filled with lots of ethnic, stereotypical observational comments from George.

An improvement on having white actors blacking up, no?

I suppose it's a case that people were trying. And in some cases that should be respected and not judged by contemporary values.

That said, hagiography of these shows is even less helpful.

Well, there was a black bus driver in it they called Chalky, I believe. But he didn't seem to mind, and all black blokes were called Chalky then. To call these shows racist isn't fair, imo. Times were different then, it was usually a case of just reflecting them. If shows like OTB, LTN and MYL were made today then of course, they'd be be rightly termed as racist.

Quote: Steve Luxton @ May 15 2011, 6:09 PM BST

Even though it has been shown many times the On the Buses movie on ITV3 was watched by over 631,000 viewers on Christmas Day. That is the day the main channels are meant to screen their best stuff to attract the viewer but over 631,000 had decided to get back onboard
Steve
ON THE BUSES fan club
web site; www.onthebusesfanclub.com/
Now in our 11th year
Nostalgia Never goes out of fashion

I've just noticed your name. Did you used to run the bus company in OTB or did you just name yourself after it. And is it still running?

The Luxton & District Traction Company was entirely fictional. I'm sure he's named himself that in tribute! I'm pretty sure that they'd wanted to use proper London Transport buses, but LT didn't want to be associated with such a programme and refused permission.

As for the racism, ok, some fair points there Baumski, but as sooty says, the extent of 'racism' in On The Buses was merely a reflection of society at the time, and shouldn't be judged by modern values. Will viewers in 2045 have any right to rip Peep Show apart for being insensitive to workshy, feckless idiots, for example? Of course not - that series is true to many peoples' experiences of life today, and there's no telling how future audiences' values may be imposed upon it.