The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 232

He has, but the bias in the press is overbearing- at least in my opinion.

Didn't do us much good today though!

I feel sorry for Parker. He can't save the team for 38 league games.

Blame Gold/Sullivan/Brady- they are awful, self-publicists. They were awful at my club and they are awful at WHU. The way they treated Steve Bruce (our best manager in my life-time) was shocking.

Quote: catskillz @ May 15 2011, 12:15 AM BST

West Ham were great to watch, years ago, when they had Lampard, Ferdinand, Wanchope and Di Canio, etc. I also used to like that Scouse midfielder they had, back in the early '90s, Ian Bishop. Oh, and of course, I'll always have a soft spot for Tony "T.C." Cottee. Everton bought him from West Ham, back in '87, for what was then a British record fee. We were Champions at the time, and he actually chose to play for us over Arsenal, who also wanted to buy him. We all thought he was gonna be great, after he scored a hat-trick on his debut against Newcastle, but, even though he stayed with us for about 8 years, he was never more than average for us. I used to have a poster of him on my bedroom wall.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, there's a picture of me and my mates from school, in Cottee's Autobiography 'Claret and Blues'. We were in the Gladwys St. end, at the last match of the '90/'91 season, and Cottee was stood in front of us, throwing hs shirt into the crowd. It was actually the last match at Goodison, before the ground became an all-seater, so it's a great memento. I'll have to get the photo blown up and made into a poster.

Lots of talk on radio today about Man City being the richest club in the world and now they are in the Champions league will be spending big again. Which obviously they will.

However, my point was with the comment richest club in the world. Isn't that actually QPR?

It is QPR, yep. Lakshmi Mittal (sp?) is the dude with the dosh.

Pity the Hammers have gone down

They give us (Bolton) six points every season :)

Quote: TopBanana @ May 15 2011, 3:20 PM BST

'Scotty' Parker would not have won the Writers Player of the Year if he'd played for any other club OR if there were less West Ham supporting journos eligible to vote.

Disagree. He got it despite playing for West Ham. If he'd played for Man U, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal or Liverpool he'd have been a shoo-in. Maybe there was an element of English journos reacting against Fabio Capello's previous ignorance of Parker's talents, but so what? He's an excellent player, and the Hammers would have been down weeks ago without him.

So was Chicken Tikka Hernandez a penalty? He couldn't get the ball and to my eyes and it looked like his knees began to drop before Robinson got to him. On balance I'd say no pen but all rather academic now.

Oh, and the way Vidic & Co surrounded the linesman was a disgrace. Let the guy in the middle make a decision without pressurising the man. Even if I didn't agree with the decision he did at least handle it in the right way.

I thought it was a pen. One of those reckless goalie moments where he dived out but didn't need to. Rule of thumb, if it was your side attacking and it wasn't given, you'd rightly feel aggrieved.

Quote: catskillz @ May 14 2011, 5:36 PM BST

Sometimes nicknames are used when a player's real name is too long, like a player Everton used to have, whose real name was Predrag Radosavljevic, but had the nickname "Preki" on his shirt. Then of course, there was also Pele.

I don't think Pele ever had his name on his shirt. They didn't in those days. But there is a rule nowadays that they have to.

Quote: Tuumble @ May 16 2011, 12:41 AM BST

Oh, and the way Vidic & Co surrounded the linesman was a disgrace. Let the guy in the middle make a decision without pressurising the man. Even if I didn't agree with the decision he did at least handle it in the right way.

"So Mr Ferguson. What about the respect campaign?"

"oh that doesn't apply to us. We are Manchester United."

Aston Villa fans sympathise with their neighbour's plight:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAE209K62rQ

Quote: Chappers @ May 16 2011, 10:03 AM BST

I don't think Pele ever had his name on his shirt. They didn't in those days. But there is a rule nowadays that they have to.

He might've had it on his shrt when he played for New York Cosmos.

Quote: PhQnix @ May 15 2011, 7:40 PM BST

Didn't do us much good today though!

I thought you were a Palace fan!

Quote: bigfella @ May 15 2011, 8:41 PM BST

Lots of talk on radio today about Man City being the richest club in the world and now they are in the Champions league will be spending big again. Which obviously they will.

The problem they have though is that the majority of the players (and their wives) want to play in sunny Spain.

Yeah, but I'd play in Siberia for £225,000 per week.

Looks like it could be an all-Welsh Play-off final........