Current radio comedy Page 61

Quote: Roy Spearman @ April 20 2011, 11:03 AM BST

Hi all - noobie posting here so feel free to ignore.

Many moons ago I worked as an evening shift cleaner and used to listen to Radio 4 comedies to pass the time. Down the Line was one show I would avoid as I thought it was purile and in the same vein as Brass Eye which to mee was defintiely alternative comedy - ie. not funny.

Cabin Pressure I think is hysterical. I adore it. The Christmas Special they did was awesome and I still have it on my MP3 player. I can hardly wait for series 3 to air - I read somewhere it was still being written.

Another entertaining series is dear old Just A Minute but that tends to be a little bit unreliable as it really does depend on who the guests are but I find Sandi Toskvic on the News Quiz brilliant. When she first took over I thought is this such a good idea, but she delivers those deadpan one-liners so well, I fall about sometimes.

Only my two-peneth

Hi Roy, Why not introduce yourself to the forum, just follow links!

Welcome and enjoy the site, I tried it and survived! [just about!]

Quote: chipolata @ April 20 2011, 6:35 PM BST

Listening to Act Your Age and have learned Lucy Porter is married to Justin Edwards. An odd match. He's massive. She's tiny.

;)OH'ER missus!...

Quote: lofthouse @ April 20 2011, 7:12 PM BST

Tom Oconnor STILL isn't funny

I think he's even less funny, because he does the same jokes he did decades ago.

Quote: dellas @ April 14 2011, 9:03 AM BST

so many people miss radio comedy! wonder why.

Probably because it's not in colour.

Quote: Nogget @ April 21 2011, 6:00 AM BST

Probably because it's not in colour.

Ahhh but it is! It's in the technicolour of the imagination.....

Have I been sniffing the furniture polish too long??

Quote: Roy Spearman @ April 21 2011, 9:34 AM BST

Ahhh but it is! It's in the technicolour of the imagination.....

Why doesn't this forum let me spell it "TECHNICOLOR"? Some English spelling conspiracy?

Quote: chipolata @ April 20 2011, 6:35 PM BST

Listening to Act Your Age and have learned Lucy Porter is married to Justin Edwards. An odd match. He's massive. She's tiny.

That made this article doubly funny: http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/lucy-porter-nagging-men-about-wiring-plugs-is-cruel-2182992.html

Dan

Alice Lowe has her own show on Radio 4 tonight, it's a pilot for a sketch show:

http://thevelvetonion.com/2011/04/18/alices-wunderland-through-the-onion-glass/

I thought The Simon Day Show had some very funny moments. He's one of the less appreciated comic talents in the UK, so I'm looking forward to the rest of this series.

Quote: Tim Azure @ April 21 2011, 10:08 AM BST

Why doesn't this forum let me spell it "TECHNICOLOR"? Some English spelling conspiracy?

Yep - hence the "British" part of the website name. :D

By the way - happy St Georges' Day everyone England

Quote: Tim Azure @ April 21 2011, 10:08 AM BST

Probably because colour is not spelt c-o-l-o-r.

Quote: Griff @ April 23 2011, 5:48 PM BST

The trademarked term 'TECHNICOLOR' on the other hand is correctly spelt without the 'u' and the spelling of the word 'colour' has no bearing on it. See also Kwik Fit.

It may be trademarked without the 'u', but that doesn't mean it isn't spelt incorrectly! :D

Quote: Griff @ April 23 2011, 6:55 PM BST

No, that's exactly what it means. It's a separate word entirely. 'Colour' means "the property possessed by an object of producing different sensations on the eye as a result of the way it reflects or emits light". "TECHNICOLOR" is a film processing technology. It is a proper noun named by its inventor. To say it is spelt incorrectly makes no more sense than to say "Stott" is a mis-spelling of the verb "stot".

Right...

But he obviously meant the word colour, and spelt it that way as that's the way he spelt the word colour; if not surely he would have coined the word Technicolour.

Jesus. Is this one of the dullest exchanges ever on BCG??

Quote: Griff @ April 23 2011, 6:55 PM BST

Also, if the OED can list 'TECHNICOLOR' as a noun without asserting that "really it should be TECHNICOLOUR" then quite frankly you can f**k off.

Just noticed this cheeky edit addition.

Errr

Quote: Griff @ April 23 2011, 7:10 PM BST

FFS.
FFS.

Such a grump, Griff! ;)

Quote: Griff @ April 23 2011, 7:31 PM BST

I am indeed a grumpy f**ker. You mustn't take it personally.

I have met him and I can vouch for the fact that he is a grumpy f**ker. In fact, he's very nearly as grumpy as me.

Dan

;) Sorry guys, this will all rendered 'off post' Well that happened to me! Laughing out loud

Dare say because you're 'blokes' it will endure.

Demon chap is'nt around.

I am enjoying conflict lots! Smarmy

Errr.....radio comedy:

I see that 2nd series of Sarah Millican's Support Group is on R4Extra on 1st May at 10pm. Is this the premiere of the series, or has it previously been on R4?