Rik Mayall Page 2

Quote: Kenneth @ March 30 2011, 11:25 AM BST

I thought he had to cut down his physical comedy work after a serious accident on a quad bike about 10 years ago as he suffers seizures and requires medication? Or is he fully recovered now?

I read he will have to take the medication for the rest of his life.Liked the fact that him and Ade were so close they wrote in a joke about the accident in one of the Bottom live shows(Eddie:I knew I should fixed those brakes better),think it was something like that. For me the documentary he did Kevin Turvey:The Man Behind The Green Door,is one of his finest moments.I've always been proud of the fact that Rik was born in Essex,my county.First time I was aware of him was when he made his memorable Jackanory appearance

He's doing a lot of voice over work lately. hes also in the no to Av commercial as bstard
Heres a clip of his Cutey and the Sofaguard audiobook: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esgammXsffs

Johnny English is not a wonderful film, but does some very funny parts. It's no worse than many other comedy films, and I've enjoyed it far more on recent viewings than I did originally, so am really quite looking forward to Reborn.

In summary: Don't expect to add it to your favourite films list, but it's a good bit of fun with a great cast and well worth having a look at.

Oh, and Rik was rather entertaining in this week's referendum broadcast. Inspired me to re-watch some of The New Statesman, just so effortlessly funny.

I am a huge Rik fan and have observed that there are two main types that he does often and very well...

The odious but cunning or smart, machiavillian type who usually succeeds and is usually irresistable to women: Alan B'Stard ("The New Statesman") and Adonis Cnut ("Believe Nothing")

and...

The odious character who fancies himself as cunning or smart and would like to be irresistable to women but is not and is, in fact, rather pathetic: Rik ("The Young Ones"), Richard Dangerous ("The Dangerous Brothers"), the un-named character from "Mr. Jolly Lives Next Door", Richie Rich ("Filthy, Rich and Catflap") and Richard Richard/Thwait ("Bottom"/"Guest House Paradiso").

I read an observation recently that confirmed something that I had thought for years.

The Rik the Poet character from Rik's stage act was the germ of the "The Young Ones" concept - what would it be like to live with him. They added Ade Edmonson's Adrian Dangerous character from Rik and Ade's "Dangerous Brothers" act as well as Nigel Planer's Neil the hippy character from his stage act.

As I have observed, the Rik from "The Young Ones" is a result of mixing the vulnerable/sensitive qualities of Rik the Poet with the aggression and movement of Richard Dangerous - to create quite a pathetic and pretentious character.

Rik's character in "Mr. Jolly Lives Next Door" probably owes a bit more to Richard Dangerous and more of the aggression was to filter through in Richie Rich ("Filthy, Rich and Catflap") and Richard Richard/Thwait ("Bottom"/"Guest House Paradiso") - but always keeping that intrinsic vulnerability of Rik the Poet.

I'd love to see Rik and Ade do one last series of Bottom ... I think that would blow the socks of most viewers!!

Who cares that they would struggle to act out the "young rebels" that The Young Ones & Bottom underlined, it would still be a great bit of telly and well worth the effort all round.

All the best,
Cal :)

After his performance in Let's Dance For Comic Relief, whcih also featured Rik Mayall, Ade Edmonson mentioned that he and Rik were working on a new series featuring their familiar characterisations as old men in a retirement home - like "Bottom", but hitting each other with colostomy bags, he said.
Ade has mentioned this concept before, but it sounds like something might be happening. Laughing out loud

Personally, I don't believe that story. It won't happen.

Last thing I see Rik in was that awful Minder remake.

I'd like to see again the TV movie Mickey Love, his grim primetime celeb who's one disappointment away form alcoholic oblivion. I see it was written by Peter Morgan and some great supporting actors like Peter Capaldi.

Anyone know anything about this: www.imdb.com/title/tt1514043

In which Rik joins joins a star studded cast incluidng Daryl Hannah, Sylvester McCoy, David Carradine and Robin Askwith?

Quote: youngian @ May 18 2011, 1:52 PM BST

Anyone know anything about this: www.imdb.com/title/tt1514043

In which Rik joins joins a star studded cast incluidng Daryl Hannah, Sylvester McCoy, David Carradine and Robin Askwith?

And Peter O'Toole, a Blues Brothers tribute show and a Nazi chase. One to look out for.

Not the most reliable source, but I have read more viable stories elsewhere!!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/3513484/Young-Ones-veterans-Adrian-Edmondson-and-Rik-Mayall-are-working-on-OAP-sitcom.html

All the best,
Cal :)

Yeah Ade just says "Rik and I have an idea for a sitcom"

Nowhere, anywhere have either of them actually confirmed that they're actually going ahead with this idea

Nowhere.

(I stand to be corrected.)

He does do great adverts. Those insurnce ads a few years back were very funny and I like the new beer one. If he just keeps doing these, he'll be making better stuff than many other funny men.

I also listened to an interview he did last year, I believe, where he mentioned that he saw a new Bad News script! He said it was very, very funny & Ade didn't write this one. I believe he mentioned being with Peter Richardson. I'm sorry I can't find the interview to post & I'm trying to remember all the details for you. Sorry! But I think the title was something like "It Ends Bitterly". I don't know if we'll ever see another Bad News, but it would be amazing I'm sure! But would Ade agree to be in it? (Still giving the impression that he's done with comedy.) Let's hope he couldn't say no to Mad Pete!
And that accident was 14 years ago! Wow, Rik is incredible. I'm glad he's getting work. Cool

The new Ad is pretty hilarious, so good to see Rik back on the screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQBAH_rfWLM

I saw one of the beer ads he's doing yesterday, basically doing his Blackadder character. It was good to see him back on screen!