Doing it ourselves? Page 5

It all sounds very hectic but I do kind of like the idea. Also I don't see why once a script is chosen that the other writers can't then contribute to that script, editing it and adding to it etc, plenty of sitcoms have strong writing teams.

The only thing I don't like is that you have to pay £10 to put forward your script.

What about choosing the premise first?

Then you'd have everyone singing from the same hymn sheet - or reading from the same synopsis.

You'd get a writing team together a lot easier then.

I doubt writers would pay to enter either.

Quote: Martin Holmes @ December 21, 2007, 2:14 PM

It all sounds very hectic but I do kind of like the idea. Also I don't see why once a script is chosen that the other writers can't then contribute to that script, editing it and adding to it etc, plenty of sitcoms have strong writing teams.

The only thing I don't like is that you have to pay £10 to put forward your script.

In principle I have no dissagreement that other writers couldn't help, but that really would depend on the winning writer. Imagine if you won and then everyone tried to change your script just so they could get a piece of there idea in you'd be pretty annoyed.

The £10 fee is really a fee to stop pople submitting rubbish, an initial quality control. Perhaps this is too high, but I think a entry fee would be a good idea still.

Quote: James Williams @ December 19, 2007, 11:37 PM

The thing is, you cannot assume that after shooting a pilot a commission from anywhere is a fait accompli. What difference will it make? The writer is still an unknown and the project would be just as high a risk. It seems like a top-down rather than bottom-up solution to me: the biggest bar to success, it seems to me, is being an unknown in the industry, for which nothing is a substitute for hard work (and getting yourself known). My dad and his brother got to the very final stage of having a radio sitcom commissioned, but in the end the Beeb just weren't prepared to take the risk as they weren't very well known. How would making the thing yourself neutralise this? I just don't think it would.

The project could be as professionally made as possible but it wouldn't change the unknown factor. The best thing would be to angle this towards a Comedy Lab on Channel 4 so it's worth a try, but I doubt even with the massive backing of writers that you'd be any further along in the queue than a couple of writer/performers sending in a short pilot shot on a hired Z1.

Quote: Seefacts @ December 21, 2007, 2:21 PM

What about choosing the premise first?

Then you'd have everyone singing from the same hymn sheet - or reading from the same synopsis.

You'd get a writing team together a lot easier then.

I doubt writers would pay to enter either.

Fine I'm willing to conceed that writers shouldn't pay to enter. On the one hand I think you'll get more garbage, but on the other a fee might discourage the gem that we'd actually be trying to find.

As asides.

Quote: Rob B @ December 21, 2007, 2:30 PM

Imagine if you won and then everyone tried to change your script just so they could get a piece of there idea in you'd be pretty annoyed.

Isn't this euphamistically called 'development' and almost universally practiced in the industry? Films being a notorious example of how an initial script differs from the final product. As writers, if we become precocious with our 'art' we won't last long in the biz.
:P

Quote: Rob B @ December 21, 2007, 2:30 PM

The £10 fee is really a fee to stop pople submitting rubbish, an initial quality control. Perhaps this is too high, but I think a entry fee would be a good idea still.

No, it won't filter out rubbish, just writers without a tenner to spare. ;)

As an idea it has merit but £8,000 of anyone's money is a lot of cash. You have to find ways of convincing people their share won't go south of the border.

I like Skibbs idea too, David B. Although it isn't on-topic. Can someone open a thread asking for a BSG YouTube channel? ;) Or maybe the permission to use the BSG umbrella?

Setting a premise before submissions isn't a good idea imo. It narrows the field and will probably result in a 'generic' flatshare / family scenario. Better to choose from a large selection than predefine the selection in the first place.

Quote: SlagA @ December 21, 2007, 4:24 PM

Setting a premise before submissions isn't a good idea imo. It narrows the field and will probably result in a 'generic' flatshare / family scenario. Better to choose from a large selection than predefine the selection in the first place.

Well, it's easily solved . . . Just don't pick that.

Quote: SlagA @ December 21, 2007, 4:24 PM

Isn't this euphamistically called 'development' and almost universally practiced in the industry? Films being a notorious example of how an initial script differs from the final product. As writers, if we become precocious with our 'art' we won't last long in the biz.
:P
No, it won't filter out rubbish, just writers without a tenner to spare. ;)

As an idea it has merit but £8,000 of anyone's money is a lot of cash. You have to find ways of convincing people their share won't go south of the border.

I agree scripts change greatly, but to allow a dozen other would-be writers at it possibly would be too much. There is a line which the production executive would have to take.
Yes £8,000 is alot (but also not much in terms of budget). The funds would be allocated by only the executive and the fund account held by somebody beyond reproach (i.e not me:) ) The account would also not be at Northern Rock

Hi Rob
Northern Rock :)

Point taken re: in this project to keep the script as untampered with as possible. :)

I was just reminding everyone that, in general, dealings within the business will rapidly destroy the strange idea that a script is sacrocant and remains undefiled by producer / director / actors / gaffer / teaboy .. the list goes on.

I'm glad to see you pursuing the idea. I think the negative comments at this point will be more helpful to you as it'll reveal the kind of questions people will ask when they see it for the first time. Getting the tricky stuff out the way now will leave us all a clearer picture of will-it / won't-it work.

Quote: SlagA @ December 21, 2007, 5:00 PM

Hi Rob
Northern Rock :)

Point taken re: in this project to keep the script as untampered with as possible. :)

I was just reminding everyone that, in general, dealings within the business will rapidly destroy the strange idea that a script is sacrocant and remains undefiled by producer / director / actors / gaffer / teaboy .. the list goes on.

I'm glad to see you pursuing the idea. I think the negative comments at this point will be more helpful to you as it'll reveal the kind of questions people will ask when they see it for the first time. Getting the tricky stuff out the way now will leave us all a clearer picture of will-it / won't-it work.

The script almost certainly will have to change and alter. No doubt the writer will moan, and threaten to quit, but that is how things are. They have no future in the industry if they don't see that. We'd just go and do the script that came second if the writer was too obtuse.
Negative comments are good, as they've helped to crystalise the idea, and I hope I've put up a decent arguement or altered opinion on most problems even if some don't agree with the answer. Nothings perfect, but even a flawed idea taken forward is better than a great idea just talked about.

BSG 'channel'

Mark and I have discussed similar ideas previously. Not going to happen. Certainly at no point in the forseeable future.

The site currently is, and we intend to keep it as, an entirely impartial information resource. Anything BSG (or BCG, as it will be) branded, as is being discussed, would be seen as being organised and/or endorsed BY the site, and so remove any of that actual-or-perceived impartiality.

We'd be perfectly happy if you wish to say that you first got together and arranged it through the BSG message board however, but as an information rather than content provider, we cannot allow our own name to be as directly linked to content as would be the case with the proposed scheme.

I undestand Rob's concerns about doing a sketch show but couldn't you ask the writers to produce sketches which can be filmed in the same location? Say in a tea room or doctor's surgery. You could get different sketches and characters but with the same location. This would open the project to more people.

Also, why not produce a radio pilot instead of a filmed one? This would be much cheaper and radio is a 'traditional' route into tv comedy (The Boosh, The League etc)

Quote: Ladma @ December 21, 2007, 6:17 PM

I undestand Rob's concerns about doing a sketch show but couldn't you ask the writers to produce sketches which can be filmed in the same location? Say in a tea room or doctor's surgery. You could get different sketches and characters but with the same location. This would open the project to more people.

Also, why not produce a radio pilot instead of a filmed one? This would be much cheaper and radio is a 'traditional' route into tv comedy (The Boosh, The League etc)

You can produce a radio pilot for free really. Or the cost of some editing software and a few mics. (and that's less than 500)

There's no money needed really to make a radio pilot. Anyone on here could easily do it.

Well there's too much reading to catch up on here so I'm just going to wish you all luck.

I agree with others that a sketch show would be better to start with since it's not gonna begin as an experienced & professionally qualified company. Better to learn how to do the minor miracle of simply writing/producing/directing/acting material that is less than 10 minutes long than attempt 6 shows of 30 minutes each and honestly expect to produce something marketable the first time out of the gate.

I'm as positive as anyone else but there's a difference between realistic enthusiasm and clearly biting off more than you can chew.

As for the writing parameters: We need only keep in mind that we are writing for a tiny/almost non existent budget: Simple sets. Simple locations. Shoot scripts after enough have been written and collated into certain piles indicating which multiple scripts can be shot at same location or same set. I think Python did it that way sometimes.

As the starter of this thread and one who has maintained participation in it, Rob, I would say you are becoming a sort of hub, an organizer, and that's worth encouraging. I would put my feet back on the ground and start from Square 1 and prove to yourself and others that you can pull off the minor miracle of simply organizing the shooting of various sketches that aren't more than five or 10 minutes long.

It would be all volunteer: the writing, acting, filming, editing, and uploading to Youtube.

Talking about money at this stage of your very obvious lack of experience regarding entertainment production just ain't on, mate.
I mean, you actually thought charging writers 10 quid would keep out the shite and yet that's about all that is submitted worldwide both for free and WITH entry fees.

Not busting your balls, just wanna you see you succeed and I don't think climbing Mt Everest for your first hiking experience is gonna end in success, but if you got the burning urge to go for it, then go for it. Every failure is a learning experience if you are truly intending on succeeding, and thus it is not a failure.

Just thinking out loud, Rob.

Keep refining it, man. Don't give up on being an organizer.

The Mutherf**ken Skibster