Doing it ourselves? Page 2

Shows like Scrubs and Friends have a large number of writers. But they're altogether in one room. It's going to be difficult. You're going to need one head honcho who in the end says yes or no to idead/scenes etc.. But difficult things are sometimes worth doing. I'm sceptical but I'm in if it gets off the ground. Fifty quid sounds good. I'll just raid my kids money boxes.

Do we wire the money directly to a bank in the Cayman Isles or just send the cash? ;)

I wouldn't want to get involved in anything this big (I'm pulling out of the sketch project too when the time comes). All this talk of committees and voting makes it sound too much like hard work before even a single joke is filmed. And I think it would be too frustrating having to defend your ideas in a vote! For every vote there will be a lot more losers than winners.

Best of luck with it though if you do decide to go forward.

Quote: ShoePie @ December 19, 2007, 12:07 PM

I wouldn't want to get involved in anything this big (I'm pulling out of the sketch project too when the time comes). All this talk of committees and voting makes it sound too much like hard work before even a single joke is filmed.

That's just the attitude you need to make it as a writer.

Good luck with alllllllllllll that!

Yes the Cayman islands, in unmarked notes.

Seriously if we got the required number of pledgers then one or two people from the pledgers would become budget holders and could then release money agreed upon. I'm not suggesting myself in this role, or that of director, producer, actor, writer etc

OK, I meant to say the 'wrong kind' of hard work. I work hard at writing and animating. I think this project will require too much organising and project managing.

Quote: David Chapman @ December 18, 2007, 10:24 PM

It's Vanity Publishing under a different name.

Of course it is but I don't believe it carries the same stigma (if any) of desperation as it once used to. In fact, I don't view it as desperate at all. Think how many people (myself included) in this group alone who have had doors shut on them at the last stage of acceptance, and not just because the work was awful.

Sometimes you have to take control because it is actually possible to make your own luck. The media in all its forms has evolved, and because we don't have to rely and focus on a very small number of industry people to get a leg up, the field is now very much open.

I don't think finance will be a major problem because there will always be people to invest a small amount. What is needed though is very firm leadership or else it'll only end up as a too many cooks situation.

I would really like this to move forward but if it is to then that's going to take a cool head and, above all, discipline if it is going to move forward. Take the sketch project which has been, I think, a year in the making getting nowhere.

Now my intention is not to be unkind but the fact is, because of circumstances and reasons, this project is still on the backburner. I'm sure when it launches into next year, given the talent on the BSG, it will be a fantastic success but the fact is it hasn't happened yet.

There should be no reason why this new initiative can't come together - why, it could even be put to the Dragons Den for real if it appears that this is a viable business idea. Anything is possible just as long as it comes away from a "Hey, c'mon, let's put on a show" type scenario. It may have worked for Cliff Richard but I don’t think anyone else could be that fortunate.

Quote: ShoePie @ December 19, 2007, 12:15 PM

OK, I meant to say the 'wrong kind' of hard work. I work hard at writing and animating. I think this project will require too much organising and project managing.

Surely the person who's idea it is has to do that?

Quote: ShoePie @ December 19, 2007, 12:07 PM

I wouldn't want to get involved in anything this big (I'm pulling out of the sketch project too when the time comes). All this talk of committees and voting makes it sound too much like hard work before even a single joke is filmed. And I think it would be too frustrating having to defend your ideas in a vote! For every vote there will be a lot more losers than winners.

Best of luck with it though if you do decide to go forward.

I wouldn't phrase it as a committee, but voting where necessary. Bit like sitcom x factor. Yes we could be responsible for "Leon the sictom". Ultimately the script would be the writers though, everyone else just committs to picking that script and then taking it forward whatever it is.

Plus it's our interest in sitcom that would make the whole thing fun, even though it would be hard work it's something lots of people.

Quote: Rob B @ December 19, 2007, 12:23 PM

I wouldn't Ultimately the script would be the writers though, everyone else just committs to picking that script and then taking it forward whatever it is.

Fair enough, I mis-read and had visions of a 100 writers trying to add their input to a script.

Have you seen this site? http://www.sellaband.com

Similar idea but with bands, could be useful as a template.

The worries that I have with this are:

* There are so many different writing styles on this board and the end result could end up being a bit disjointed in style.

* Also, we need a committee who are capable of being impartial and have a proven knowledge of knowing what would work. Either we could end up with something which is just a collection of sketches that the simply cater to the committee's tastes.

Quote: Winterlight @ December 19, 2007, 12:59 PM

* There are so many different writing styles on this board and the end result could end up being a bit disjointed in style.

* Also, we need a committee who are capable of being impartial and have a proven knowledge of knowing what would work. Either we could end up with something which is just a collection of sketches that the simply cater to the committee's tastes.

I concur. I think there's real merit in the idea but believe an impartial committee essential to the process. Someone who knows the business and has only the best interests of the pilot at heart.

More and more we're seeing writers taking the initiative in getting their careers off the ground and this is just the sort of scheme we should prick our ears to. I for one am very interested to see where this leads.

Quote: Winterlight @ December 19, 2007, 12:59 PM

I guess the word committee scares people, and consequently I've not used it as substantially I don't think its the correct term.

There will be one writer, the winner of the competition. Yes the script will have to be altered to fit in with our constraints, but that's going to happen anyway. I think it fair that writer knows that some additional work would almost certainly be required, but that's life. Has there ever been a script sent in that was made as written. I doubt it, and the writer would have to accept this to a reasonable degree.

The whole point is a group of people pledging both in time and money to take forward what they by majority agree is the best sitcom and making it happen.

Quote: David Bussell @ December 19, 2007, 1:11 PM

I concur. I think there's real merit in the idea but believe an impartial committee essential to the process. Someone who knows the business and has only the best interests of the pilot at heart.

More and more we're seeing writers taking the initiative in getting their careers off the ground and this is just the sort of scheme we should prick our ears to. I for one am very interested to see where this leads.

I agree. The whole aim is to push one idea forward. Yes people will be able to vote for script / cast etc and make suggestions but it would be for certain people to be identified in roles to take that forward. Perhaps 2 or 3 people working with the writer etc. Too many cooks may spoil the broth, but they can dictate the menu.

Oh hell why not, there seem to be a few people interested, and it might just work out :)

How about www.makemysitcom.co.uk ?

Does anyone have anything to say on budget. What should the aimed for target amount be? I think a pledge amount of 40 pounds is about right? This atleast needs to be tied down as doable before setting up the site.

I'm intrigued by this, so keep me updated with everything that's going down.