The Sitcom Mission 2011 Page 91

Quote: Declan @ March 17 2011, 11:25 PM GMT

Hi all

We've had a number of people ask us for feedback on their scripts, and lots of people who live in the outer reaches of the universe can't make it to London for a Help! I've Written A Script workshop.

So, we've decided to launch a sitcom reading service, giving you a CD of professional actors reading out your script with feedback from Simon and Declan as and, more importantly, from the actors who just read it. Their feedback is often vital as they can either get the character immediately from what's on the page, or they might struggle to interpret a character that isn't coming across to them.

Details are here:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/sitcom_mission/workshops/4/

Cheers all

Declan

This sounds great. Can I just ask if it's still a 15 minute script we need to send?

We can do up to 45 mins of a combination of script and feedback, so it's up to you how you split it.

Quote: rwayne @ March 17 2011, 11:47 PM GMT

This sounds great. Can I just ask if it's still a 15 minute script we need to send?

Give them a chance they are online right now ordering 'Cristal Champagne' from Harrod's, 1200 scripts x £30 a pop, might as well chuck in a box of cigar's.

Quote: Declan @ March 18 2011, 12:01 AM GMT

We can do up to 45 mins of a combination of script and feedback, so it's up to you how you split it.

Thank you. I hope you are going to enjoy reading quite a few of our scripts again! :D

Hi all,

First post here I believe- although been scanning this forum for a good while. I'd love to hear your thoughts on our sitcommission entry, as we are beginning a run of several venues 'oop north' this summer. We didn't make the cut- but nevertheless- this play needs adapting into an hour long feature in the next month or so and your opinions will be greatly appreciated!

Farley's Remains is a dark-comedy, a tale of one man's decline into isolation and despair. Entrapped with his own sense of guilt and loneliness, Ted Farley begins to quite literally shut himself off from the world.

(Could be the reason we didn't make the cut right there ^)

I really should go to bed- I'm probably the only one online right now. Night all.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/20552#P741287

Thanks in advance,
Kris

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ March 17 2011, 1:02 PM GMT

The lesson here is that you need to find your Chas Chandler.

Where is he buried?

So that's £1 to my local charity shop. I'll buy a £2.50 paperback and give them £3.50.

Quote: simon wright @ March 18 2011, 8:19 AM GMT

So that's £1 to my local charity shop. I'll buy a £2.50 paperback and give them £3.50.

Bravo, that man.

One question re: the CD script performance and review service.

Who owns the performing rights and copyright of the CD?

Quote: David Bussell @ March 17 2011, 4:31 PM GMT

It does seem to be the way that a lot of crummy amateur sitcoms are passed off as 'comedy drama' the moment they receive criticism that they're not very funny. I can certainly see why the phrase has been devalued.

Or maybe I should just scrap it then (though I haven't had bad reviews yet, just decent ones, but rejection from comps).

Quote: evertsen @ March 18 2011, 8:28 AM GMT

Bravo, that man.

One question re: the CD script performance and review service.

Who owns the performing rights and copyright of the CD?

You (the writer). At our workshops we ask the writer's permission to send a copy of the recording to the actors involved. This is just a 'thank you' for their participation, and we stress that the recording is for their personal use only and not for any other purpose.

Great stuff. Thanks Simon.

Quote: Feeoree @ March 18 2011, 9:44 AM GMT

Or maybe I should just scrap it then (though I haven't had bad reviews yet, just decent ones, but rejection from comps).

If you're enjoying it, stick at it, keep working on it, polish, polish, polish, polish until you're really happy with it and then submit it.
Don't be put off by what people think the current trends are. The Beatles got knocked back first time because the company said people were getting bored of guitar music.
My entries for both Laughing Stock and Sitcom Mission gave me headaches to write. I'm having a ball with the stuff I'm working on now.

:P Iv'e been at work since the competition winners were announced and firstly I would like to congratulate all who made the short list. Congratulations, even if you don't win I hope you get to see your work on a stage and I hope you get the biggest buzz ever out of it. Well done.

I was not amongst the short listed finalists and to be honest was not suprised. I was however very suprised at some of the comments I have read over the last 40 pages or so. I don't know Declan or Simon, I have never been on a script workshop and probably, unless something momentous happens will never meet them or attend a course, spare cash is something few of us have at present. I do not however think for one second that it had a bearing on how my script was received. If it had been good enough, it would have got through. Simon and Declan have no interest in putting through sub standard scripts, they run a business. Their partnership with Hat Trick is probably the biggest thing that has happened with the business so far. Do you really think they would choose nepotism over that?

Finally to all on this board and all concerned with Sitcommission. Thank you it has been fun. I'm now going to lick my wounds in Critique when everyone tells me, Not enough Laughs.

Quote: Feeoree @ March 18 2011, 9:44 AM GMT

I should add that comment was in no way aimed at you.

Quote: Declan @ March 17 2011, 11:25 PM GMT

Hi all

We've had a number of people ask us for feedback on their scripts, and lots of people who live in the outer reaches of the universe can't make it to London for a Help! I've Written A Script workshop.

So, we've decided to launch a sitcom reading service, giving you a CD of professional actors reading out your script with feedback from Simon and Declan as and, more importantly, from the actors who just read it. Their feedback is often vital as they can either get the character immediately from what's on the page, or they might struggle to interpret a character that isn't coming across to them.

Details are here:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/sitcom_mission/workshops/4/

Cheers all

Declan

This sounds brilliant! Going to do it too! Couldn't make the workshop so really grateful for this opportunity. Thanks Laughing out loud