The Sitcom Mission 2011 Page 87

Hi Si and Declan,
Just got to ask this because although I can just about cope with rejection, not knowing if I might be a writer who might have been on the right track but never quite made it, is continually bugging me. If I thought I was one of the 200 script writers who were selected out of the multitude of hundreds of entries, I would be ecstatic and full of enthusiasm that I was closer to the goal. Any chance that you could let us know who was in the semi-final selection?
You really have no idea how much this would mean to some of us. Whistling nnocently
Please, please. Pretty please?

I imagine the workshop would address these issues Susie.

Quote: Griff @ March 16 2011, 2:21 PM GMT

I think you're overestimating our "success" a bit, in four weeks' time 24 of us are going to be in the same boat as everyone else... (EDIT: What chipolata said.)

Thanks for the insight, I don't see you guys as guru's but you've clearly got what's wanted in order to progress in this competition, loads of people are wondering why they didn't make it and for me I know I don't have the writing experience so I figured what type of person you all are on the other side.

Thanks again.

Quote: Griff @ March 16 2011, 2:21 PM GMT

I think you're overestimating our "success" a bit, in four weeks' time 24 of us are going to be in the same boat as everyone else... (EDIT: What chipolata said.)

And second that. Certainly not intending to elevate ourselves as gurus, and by definition the odds are still well against any one of us! But having enjoyed the ups and downs of this thread over the last few months, it seemed churlish not to own up.

Hi again Andrew
Well done.
I'll try to make one of your Sit com mission performances if you make the final cut

Cheers sir! We also have (moving into blatant plug mode) a one-off showcase of our comedy sketches at the Soho Theatre on April 4th if we can tempt anyone along to that!

'The Black Sheep Sketchbook' is part of The Comedy Project, four shows of new comedy writing. The first week March 28th features 'Four Women of the Apocalypse', which is one of the shortlisted Sitcommission entries, for those interested in seeing what sort of thing got through. It's very funny, as is the other piece on that night 'Life=Sitcom' from the writers of Radio 2's 'On the Blog'.

http://www.sohotheatre.com/pl2061.html

Hi, another short-listed writer here, just to say to those that asked - I did go on one of Simon and Declan's courses. As a result I did re-write my script - added a major character, cut out the bits where the characters just sat around making jokes and added some plot. I've got a journalistic writing backgrouund (entertainment based not hard news)but this is the first time I tried something like this. I also went on Marc Blake's course which I found useful for more general advice. I'm definitely still learning...

Quote: Dicksplash @ March 16 2011, 2:42 PM GMT

Thanks for the insight, I don't see you guys as guru's but you've clearly got what's wanted in order to progress in this competition, loads of people are wondering why they didn't make it and for me I know I don't have the writing experience so I figured what type of person you all are on the other side.

I don't think you should put all your eggs in the workshop basket, or even the sitcom basket.

The first time I got anywhere with the Beeb was through Quiz Show formats. After working with a few producers the quiz shows came to nothing, but it gave me the confidence to keep hammering away, and one of the producers is helping me develop another format right now, which might also come to nothing.

But, if you want free advice on how to get your sitcom commissioned for TV (from a twenty-something who hasn't had their sitcom commissioned yet)...

I would suggest going all out with many different ideas/scripts for comedy, drama, TV, radio... best get your foot in the door first.

Quote: simon wright @ March 16 2011, 11:39 AM GMT

We're on page 91.

Anybody want to bet when we'll get to 100? ' Bet' £1 and promise to give it to charity if you're wrong?

Thurday the 17th of March at 11.30am?

Quote: Marc P @ March 16 2011, 2:14 PM GMT

I've got a zoom h4N Simon, which I can highly recommend. ANd the two mics as you say gives a good stereo dimension which is adjustable. CD sounds good, also I'd think about factoring some lattitude for post editing. I.e not having people talk over each other and giving pauses after stage directions being read etc. SO even if it is not done as a radio play it can be edited as such. I can give you a link to what I did with mine when it was recorded by Bex at the last readings of you like so you can see what I mean?

The 4N is even better. Maybe next year...

Excellent advice about not talking over each other and giving pauses after stage directions. Thanks for that, and yes please send me the link so I can see what what you did with the recording Bex made for you.

Quote: richiemoomoo @ March 16 2011, 3:30 PM GMT

I'll also go for the 17th since it's my birthday. I'll say 12:41.

I'll give £1 to Oxfam if anybody else is closer.

Quote: richiemoomoo @ March 16 2011, 3:30 PM GMT

Did you just turn this thread into a speakeasy Ladbrokes?!

I'll place my bet, when we're on Page 99.

"I'll also go for the 17th since it's my birthday. I'll say 12:41.

I'll give £1 to Oxfam if anybody else is closer."

Game on.

Quote: Derry Dee @ March 16 2011, 3:43 PM GMT

Did you just turn this thread into a speakeasy Ladbrokes?!

I think we're gonna need to draft up some rules and laminate them. With haste.

Quote: mightywombat @ March 16 2011, 3:12 PM GMT

Hi, another short-listed writer here, just to say to those that asked - I did go on one of Simon and Declan's courses. As a result I did re-write my script - added a major character, cut out the bits where the characters just sat around making jokes and added some plot. I've got a journalistic writing backgrouund (entertainment based not hard news)but this is the first time I tried something like this. I also went on Marc Blake's course which I found useful for more general advice. I'm definitely still learning...

Hey, well done - that's a huge success as a first timer...but now I just feel like an under-achiever!

Doh! Hadn't thought of that.

No bets accepted after Page 96?