What are you reading right now? Page 123

The old ones were quite anarchic and satirical.

But I prefer the narrative and characters in Tintin, Haddock is just the best thing ever.

I do like Asterix too, I loved them both almost equally as a kid.
But I only really read Tintin now.

Asterix and Tintin were both brilliant. It's odd how aparently most of America has little or no idea who Tintin is.

Anna and the French Kiss - Stephanie Perkins

Goggle Eyes by Anne Fine ----- it's chuffing brilliant!

Sam Lipsyte - Home Land. Quite funny.

Bad Science - Ben Goldacre

Quote: Yatta @ March 9 2011, 6:18 PM GMT

Bad Science - Ben Goldacre

This. I'm only half way through it and I've already subscribed to the online version for more of the same.

I just read The Ghost Writer by Philip Roth, and really enjoyed it actually!

Nothing to Envy, a book about life in North Korea.

Sootyj hardly reads books anymore as he is mostly reading shit on his smart phone.

This may not be a good thing.

It isn't. I, for one, am shocked by this revelation. :O :O :O

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 4 2011, 9:21 PM GMT

Asterix and Tintin were both brilliant.

Still are brilliant. Tintin fans should read Pierre Assouline's biography of Herge. Not quite as fun as Harry Thompson's excellent biography but a wealth of greater detail. There's a new biography due in October by one Raphael Taylor.

I recently read Simpsons Confidential by John Ortved. It was vastly superior to the tediously self-indulgent waffle of Planet Simpson by Chris Turner. Which is not saying much, as Planet Simpson was a strong contender for worst book ever until someone made the mistake of publishing Duncan McLaren's atrocious biography of Enid Blyton, Looking For Enid. Anyways, the author of Simpsons Confidential admits from the start that he's not a great writer, so the book is instead mostly a bunch of transcripts of interviews with the people behind The Simpsons. Interesting to learn about Sam Simon. The definite highlight of the book, which made it worth the $5.95 price tag, was this anecdote about Mr. T from Simpsons writer/producer Tim Long:

I had an incredible experience when Mr. T was on the show. He was telling me about the scenes in Rocky III where he lost. The reason he lost was that his mother needed money for an operation, and so he was paid to take a dive. And I said, "Well, I don't remember that in the movie." And he just looked at me right in the eye and said, "Things you don't see!" And I thought, Well that's an interesting way to look at it. He sort of invented his own movie that happened behind the scenes of the actual movie to sort of justify his behavior. He could have been f**king with me, but I was so besotted with him. It was just a magical moment. I said to him, "I remember you put out a record called 'Mr. T's Commandments.'" And somehow he heard that as, "Mr. T, please sing 'Mr. T's Commandments.'" So he sang me the whole song. And I thought, If I'm killed by a sniper tonight, well, my life would have ended beautifully, because I have been sung to by Mr. T.

A biography of Our Great Leader (in Scotland) - Wee Eck. Interesting.

The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins

The Ocean all it's Devices, William Browning Spencer.

I should like it, spent ages finding an affordable copy.
But it's a bit meh.