Never Mind The Buzzcocks - Series 24 Page 11

His episode wasn't the best of either series. They were good, but certainly not best.

Well, okay, maybe not the best, but they made me laugh more than any other episode and he is, in my opinion, the best host that would take the job. I hope. Not that I'm a fan of his, I generally don't like him, but he was great on the show, even I have to admit.

He is quite good I'll give you that. The hosting role seems to calm him down a lot more. Maybe because he knows he's in charge and isn't fighting others to speak first (like he used to on MTW).

I think you're right. The reason I don't like him normally is because he always has a go at my hometown and he can be a bit too much sometimes (the 'Loose Women Iran' sketch on his ill-fated Channel 4 show made me switch off - they got hung). I think they'll continue on with guest hosts next series and probably the one after that, but they definitely need a comedian in the chair.

I thought the best guest host was Lee Mack. He really showed great chemistry with the panel and the audience. He looked like he was enjoying himself. I hope he comes back hosting again.

Ooooh.

The BBC is to finally screen Russell Brand's appearance on Never Mind The Buzzcocks - more than two years after he filmed it.

The show was originally intended to air on October 30, 2008 - but was pulled amid the furore surrounding the rude phone calls he and Jonathan Ross made to Fawlty Towers actor Andrew Sachs.

Amid the scandal, the BBC decided to suspend the two comedians and pull all their shows.

Now the tabloid-fuelled controversy has died down, the episode - recorded when Simon Amstell was still host - will go out on BBC Two this Wednesday at 10pm.

Clips had previously been available on a DVD released for Christmas 2009, but not the full episode, which also featured guests Greg Davies, Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, Rachel Stevens and hip-hop artist Sway. A Facebook page calling for the show to be screened had attracted more than 400 members.

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2011/01/16/12557/you_wait_ages_for_a_buzz...

FINALLY.

Oh *sigh*, we need to get better at reporting the news. We spotted the Russell Brand episode in the schedules a while ago (this shows you're clearly not following BCG properly on Twitter though, or looking at the yellow box that's been in this thread for over a week now either ;)).

Anyway, there's obviously been a lot of positive feedback for Frankie Boyle's Buzzcocks episode (repeated tonight incidentally) - probably because he's taken the show back to what it was with Amstell - a bit bitchy and irreverent to the guests.

Well I don'y really use Twitter, and don't really pay attention to the yellow box unless I'm specifically looking for the next air date! Plus the blurb which is shown "Over two years later than first planned, BBC Two shows the episod..." doesn't really say "BRAND EPISODE TO FINALLY AIR!". The only reason I ever read The Site That Shall Not Be Named's news stories is because their NewsBot sticks them all in the forum.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ January 16 2011, 5:10 PM GMT

Well I don'y really use Twitter, and don't really pay attention to the yellow box unless I'm specifically looking for the next air date! Plus the blurb which is shown "Over two years later than first planned, BBC Two shows the episod..." doesn't really say "BRAND EPISODE TO FINALLY AIR!". The only reason I ever read The Site That Shall Not Be Named's news stories is because their NewsBot sticks them all in the forum.

Fair point. I was mainly commenting that the BCG hasn't quite got its act together in terms of reporting news though - we'll be getting better at that in the next few months.

As an aside, not sure why everyone has gone all Harry Potter / Macbeth about Chortle's name though!

Anyway, back to Buzzcocks - it's all well and good talking about a potential new host, but will it even be recommissioned? As I said earlier, I think it's a tired and past it format now, which some of the other comments in this thread seem to back up (no denying there was some terrible hosts near the start of the run). Then again, it did well in our awards voting so must still be popular somewhere?

Quote: Mark @ January 16 2011, 6:19 PM GMT

As an aside, not sure why everyone has gone all Harry Potter / Macbeth about Chortle's name though!

hehe, that was me. I mentioned it a few times when I joined and got lots of boos and hisses.

Just bring back Mark Lamarr, he will always be the best presenter of Buzzcocks. Why did he leave in the first place?

Mark left because he was boring and not funny anymore.
Yes, there have been some terrible hosts but when they get it right it is one of the funniest shows on TV. Frankie or Lee. Either would be great, but I'd prefer Frankie for the better comedy.

Sadly, it's so cheap and easy to produce that Never Mind The Buzzcocks' recommission is guaranteed for the foreseeable. I think it probably did well in our voting as, frankly, all other panel shows are ultimately a bit limp and unsubstantive too - it's just that few of them have the historical success and popularity to back them up.

But yes, Frankie Boyle should take over as permanent host. I highly doubt they'll ever go back to proper hosts for these shows, alas, but it's a nice dream, and his recent episode was certainly the best in a very, very long time.

Russell episode was good!

I MISS SIMON AMSTELL. The show was brilliant with him asking the questions.