Episodes - Series 1 Page 14

I assume we were supposed to be on Tamsin's side in that argument.
The trouble being, documentaries about Tourrettes are funny.

Slight improvement on last week, but still a huge turkey. And the running 'gatekeeper' gag is just awful.

Quote: don rushmore @ January 17 2011, 11:02 PM GMT

Slight improvement on last week, but still a huge turkey. And the running 'gatekeeper' gag is just awful.

Be thankful we didn't get any more "door ajar" stuff.

Quote: chipolata @ January 17 2011, 10:52 PM GMT

A definite improvement over last week, and Le Blanc was good. It's still hard to care about the writers, though, or their shitty Bafta winning show. And Grieg getting offended by someone laughing at a Tourrettes documentary seemed lame.

Considering that this is Le Blanc's first Role since Joey.

Quote: WeakFlesh @ January 17 2011, 11:09 PM GMT

Boy, you've really got it in for poor old Matt. He may not have had the most succesful career post-Friends, but he's not alone in that. Lots of the stars of big sitcoms fail to do anything of note once the shows that made them famous end.

Quote: chipolata @ January 17 2011, 11:53 PM GMT

Boy, you've really got it in for poor old Matt. He may not have had the most succesful career post-Friends, but he's not alone in that. Lots of the stars of big sitcoms fail to do anything of note once the shows that made them famous end.

I don't have anything against him, I'm just pointing out that he has not had a very sucsessful career since Friends.

Gave it two chances.
Shan't bother again.
If anything the thoroughly wooden performance from Matt made this episode slightly worse.
One minute we're meant to be hooting over the hopelessley, hyper-unbelievable bit about the guy taking the piss out of his blind wife - then we're supposed to care about the 'real' relationship between the two British writers.
This should have been a 'Spinal Tap'-type mockumentary, made for cinema.
It feels really uncomfortable in this format.

Quote: WeakFlesh @ January 18 2011, 12:04 AM GMT

I don't have anything against him, I'm just pointing out that he has not had a very sucsessful career since Friends.

A bit misleading. He hasn't taken any roles since his Friends spin-off. That particular programme I understand wasn't a massive hit, but his not needing to work due to the money he made earlier, does not equate to a lack of success. He's been entirely off the radar.

Got to go against the flow and say the second episode was marginally worse than the first. Apologies to all you ManganDolls and Greig Guzzlers out there, but the biggest problem seems to be the leads. They are by a long way the dullest people in any room they are in. They don't even work as Candide like ciphers - they have personalities, just dull ones.

On the other hand, if you're Steven Mangan or Tamsin Greig and you get a David Crane script, I don't suppose you spend too much time agonising about whether to say yes.

Much better than last week. There were a few big laughs from me. I think what I like most about this though is that it has a nice feel to it. Kind of like what Rev had.

;) Not keen, too many Americans spoil it, why not have it based here, just discuss the possibility of going over, allow UK much more sarcasm.

Quote: WeakFlesh @ January 17 2011, 11:09 PM GMT

By choice, though.

Quote: dellas @ January 18 2011, 5:24 AM GMT

;) Not keen, too many Americans spoil it, why not have it based here, just discuss the possibility of going over, allow UK much more sarcasm.

Errr

I liked the blindness/ orphan story/ Merv misbehaving dinner scene. Other than that, although it was pleasant on the eye, my funnybone remained untickled.

I agree with other posters, that whilst the leads have a great track-record, they just don't work here, which is interesting considering the theme of the show.

Soo afterwards I had some time to think about it and something about the show doesn't sit right with me.

It looks like a shiny US show, but the writing hasn't decided which side of the pond it's on. I understand that it's intended to be a mix of styles, but it seems to be lacking the pace and punchlines of a US sitcom, and missing the understated awkward humour of British comedy dramas. It feels like it's puling in both directions and missing both marks.

Also, Le Blanc's character didn't sit well with me - the character felt at odds. Are we to believe the mean stupid version of him in the restaurant ("they expect me to pay extra for kitchen equipment?") or the verbally dextrous version we see at the beginning of the party? Not only do the intentions of the character feel mixed, but fundamental things like his intelligence level. I'm interested to see if/how his role develops.

The two lead writer characters are so dull, it's a huge waste of Mangan and Greig's skills. All of the bits that have made me laugh have been from the supporting act, who at least seem to be playing 'larger than life' or slightly less one dimentional roles. Oh actually, I lie. I did giggle at Greig saying a rude word. But that's because it was a rude word. The tirade could have been better.

Despite my feelings about any perceived flaws, it still keeps me engaged for the 30 minutes, so I'm going to stick with it.

Oop, saying all that, the bit that I did really enjoy is where Merk (sp?) is telling the writers about how often his wife falls over. That bit made me laugh quite a lot.

I don't think there was any inconsistency in the Le Blanc character. In both instances he was driven by self-interest.