Rock & Chips Page 9

I don't think that there was ever likely to be question of that; certainly not at this early stage of the programme's potential life.

It's on tonight. :)

Although, in this one it's 1960 and Del has left school, yet in the school reunion episode of Only Fools, Del and his mates left school in 1965. (Class Of '65)

++++ EDIT ++++

My mistake. It was Class Of 62. But that's still 2 years out.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ December 29 2010, 12:15 PM GMT

Although, in this one it's 1960 and Del has left school, yet in the school reunion episode of Only Fools, Del and his mates left school in 1965. (Class Of '65)

Yep, I imagine that's just the sort of minor continuity error which would deeply irritate die-hard OFAH fans...

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 29 2010, 10:47 PM GMT

Yep, I imagine that's just the sort of minor continuity error which would deeply irritate die-hard OFAH fans...

Well it's not really minor Tim. And it's not a continuity error either come to that.

If it is at all - I have no idea.

Quote: Marc P @ December 29 2010, 10:57 PM GMT

Well it's not really minor Tim. And it's not a continuity error either come to that.

Isn't it? It presumably comes from a clash of information between something said in an old OFAH episode and information imparted in this new show. Maybe not a continuity error in the traditional sense of the phrase, but I can't think of a better term for it, can you? (I'm betting you can.)

And it is minor error in the sense that the average viewer won't give a toss, as the chronological discrepancy won't affect their viewing enjoyment one iota. :)

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 30 2010, 12:11 AM GMT

And it is minor error in the sense that the average viewer won't give a toss, as the chronological discrepancy won't affect their viewing enjoyment one iota. :)

True. Perhaps what you meant to say was, the writer and entire production team don't give a toss about the world created by the writer (peak audience 20-odd million), because they can always ignore anything they have already broadcast anyway.

Works for Dr Who.

Quote: Badge @ December 30 2010, 1:38 AM GMT

Works for Dr Who.

Maybe Rock & Chips will use the same (lame) excuse that it's all set in alternative universes to weasel out of any awkward questions. For example, if in the next episode Trigger turns out to be a shape-shifter, they'll then be able to easily explain it away to the pedantic dweebs who care about such minutiae. I remember the good old days when the audience just gratefully accepted whatever shit was served up to them without complaint... like when in the final series of Brush Strokes it was revealed that, all along, Lionel Bainbridge had been an alien robot intent on taking over the Earth. Writers Esmonde & Larbey were never even questioned about that one...

I'm not even sure later episodes of Dad's Army were set in the war. I mean, it doesn't matter does it?

:D

If you watch that show with the mindset that, to everyone except the residents of Walmington-on-Sea, the war had been over for more than 20 years, it actually becomes funnier IMO.

The only thing that really bothered me, in terms of anything like 'continuity', is that in the flat, the door out of the living room was right in the corner up against the wall - but we all know from countless OFAH scenes that the door is half-way along the wall, with the ever-changing dining table and chairs in the corner.

Anyway, I enjoyed it. Kellie Bright was again fantastic as Joan.

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 30 2010, 2:06 AM GMT

If you watch that show with the mindset that, to everyone except the residents of Walmington-on-Sea, the war had been over for more than 20 years, it actually becomes funnier IMO.

Quote: Aaron @ December 30 2010, 2:11 AM GMT

Kellie Bright was again fantastic as Joan.

She is very good, very talented. Very attractive too.

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 30 2010, 12:11 AM GMT

(I'm betting you can.)
:)

Well it is a research error really. An archivist on the team usually deals with these kind of things. When there is a team of writers and huge backstory on a soap for example.

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 30 2010, 2:01 AM GMT

Maybe Rock & Chips will use the same (lame) excuse that it's all set in alternative universes to weasel out of any awkward questions.

Errr

Quote: Marc P @ December 30 2010, 10:11 AM GMT

Well it is a research error really. An archivist on the team usually deals with these kind of things. When there is a team of writers and huge backstory on a soap for example.

Isn't the same man behind both shows, though? You'd think he would remember, or take a moment to check.

Quote: Aaron @ December 30 2010, 2:11 AM GMT

The only thing that really bothered me, in terms of anything like 'continuity', is that in the flat, the door out of the living room was right in the corner up against the wall - but we all know from countless OFAH scenes that the door is half-way along the wall, with the ever-changing dining table and chairs in the corner.

Different flat, different building isn't it?

Sir Walter Raleigh House.

I thought this a damn sight better effort than the first one.

Loved the bit around the dinner table with the grannie!