*high five*

Peep Show
Inbetweeners

Quote: Ben @ December 24 2010, 6:46 PM GMT

Peep Show
Inbetweeners

Sounds v. dirty!

My two favourite TV comedies of 2010 (new ones especially) are:

* Mongrels - Brilliant I thought. The great thing about working with anthropomoprhic animals is that you can get away with much more. You can have one animal killing another for example, where as I think it would be less funny for one person to kill another.

* Lizzie and Sarah - I really liked the dark humour and I was so annoyed by the fact the BBC didn't give it a full series.

Re L & S, I really liked it too but it is hard to see how a series would have worked without ignoring what happened in the pilot - and ignoring it and putting the killed characters back in wouldn't work either. Once the pilot was shown it was clear there was to be no series commission.

It was a flawed idea for a sitcom and probably the two writer-actor stars were to blame for this. In hindsight this looks like a failed vanity project for two established stars - they got close but not as close as Brydon & Coogan, Amstell and the others.

But I thought the BBC were wrong and stupid to air it as a pilot instead of a one off comedy drama, myself. It would have saved a lot of confusion and debate and would've made the BBC look more competent than they are. I can only think that one of the cast let it out of the bag that they had been looking for a series with it and the BBC were stuck with this admission?

And surely potential sitcoms are analysed for their ability to run, well before they get to pilot stage ? ! What clueless nobheads do they have working at commissioning level, earning I expect very good money ? ! Well that's the Beeb for you! :S

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ December 27 2010, 11:14 AM GMT

What clueless nobheads do they have working at commissioning level, earning I expect very good money ? !

The BBC has clueless knobheads working at every level.

Mercifully, they also have clueful knobheads working at most levels too.

As long as they're funded by the licence fee, they'll continue to produce crap in abundant quantities along with the occasional gem.

The Trip for me- because it was so well written.

Quote: Veronica Vestibule @ December 27 2010, 11:36 AM GMT

As long as they're funded by the licence fee, they'll continue to produce crap in abundant quantities along with the occasional gem.

Yeah, because all those channels not funded by the licence fee never produce any crap. Oh, wait . . .

Quote: Marc P @ December 27 2010, 11:42 AM GMT

The Trip for me- because it was so well written.

BUT HOW DO YOU DEFINE WELL WRITTEN?

HOW?!

Quote: Nat Wicks @ December 27 2010, 12:46 PM GMT

BUT HOW DO YOU DEFINE WELL WRITTEN?

HOW?!

Doing the same schtick each and every week whilst eating in beautiful locations?

1. The Trip
2. Peep Show
3. Lizzie and Sarah

I know the latter was only a pilot but... SSSH!

X

Quote: Millsy @ December 27 2010, 1:24 PM GMT

Doing the same shtick each and every week whilst eating in beautiful locations?

If Heaven means accompanying SC and RB on an eternal trip around ethereal versions of the world's good restaurants and watching them do that same old shtick, I'll be down to confession first thing tomorrow morning renouncing the Devil and all his works.

I'm not sure any TV prog is truly 'worth the licence fee on its own' but The Trip comes very close.

Very close indeed.

Quote: Veronica Vestibule @ December 27 2010, 11:36 AM GMT

AnD as long as they're funded by the licence fee, it won't producing a vast quanity of shit akin to ITV. That's and there are no adds so we get an extra five minutes in a half-hour show.

:$ I am not a fan of US comedy.
Like The Trip,
Not Going Out,
Peep Show,
Him & Her,
Shaun The Sheep,
4 In A Bed.