The Trip - Series 1 Page 21

Hmmmm. Spose. In a way.

Quote: Nil Putters @ November 25 2010, 10:18 PM GMT

Well, I think they took story lines that had developed in the house and edited together all the relevant clips, they didn't invent the story itself.

And there were times the makers clearly hoped a "story" would happen and it didn't.

Quite.

Quote: JPM1 @ November 25 2010, 5:02 PM GMT

Ok I really have to sign off but I can't let that one go...

What you describe is "a way that art seeks to achieve its intentions" which is very different that some kind of uberfunction of all art - which is what you stated in response to Nat.

I say what I mean. And I say it very well thank you, I don't need it editing by a media student :)

'How art achieves its means is not really our point of debate.'

Yes it is.

'To answer that we need a definition of "well-written". I proposed one (the artist is in control of their effect) but if someone else has another definition I'd love to hear it.'

To hear one simply has to take one fingers out of one's ears.

Hang on.... Director, Producer. Writer... The J doesn't stand for James does it???

:)

They do like their Scallops though, I'll give them that.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ November 25 2010, 11:31 PM GMT

They do like their Scallops though, I'll give them that.

:D

They can be tricky! Cook em quick or cook em slow.... nothing in between!

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ November 25 2010, 9:36 PM GMT

How impressive are their impressions? I think they are brilliant, some of the best I have ever heard. There is a complete lack of humility about this whole project but you somehow think they've earned that right after hearing their incredibly good impressions. I would like to hear one or two new ones in the last two episodes so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Agree, I've really enjoyed the impressions, and the one-up manship that follows.

I enjoy the show because it't the type of show I'd love to do. Me and one of best friends being paid to roam through beautiful scenery, eating amazing food and staying in lovely hotels, don't need much of a script as we are naturally funny... oh and brilliant editors.

There are loads of popular shows that focus on one or the other but this brings the food, travel and comedy together with some rock sold performances. What's not to like?

Don't think 'the Trip' is a masterpiece by a long stretch, but it has its moments. Essentially it's a vehicle for Coogan and Brydon's talents, the impersonator stand-offs are amusing.

However, I think the concept of performers playing an aspect of their own character is getting a bit tired. And some of it is a little close to home (like Coogan complaining about his career) which could easily backfire on him. Plus the food segments make it look like its half food show/half comedy, which some people may find interesting and others not.

But maybe we should be asking ourselves would someone who's never seen Coogan and Brydon before find it funny?

This may have already been said but I just think The Trip is like some of the restaurants: self-indulgent and not to everyone's taste. But I like it (although, I don't like the look of L'Enclume - if I had a few hundred quid to spend in Cartmel it'd be a day at the races and drinks all round in the Pig and Whistle).

Quote: Marc P @ November 25 2010, 11:28 PM GMT

I say what I mean. And I say it very well thank you, I don't need it editing by a media student :)

Do you? Not sure about that. You certainly say it very condescendingly though.

Quote: AngieBaby @ November 25 2010, 11:51 PM GMT

There are loads of popular shows that focus on one or the other but this brings the food, travel and comedy together with some rock sold performances. What's not to like?

The endless tedium, the lack of humour, the self-satisfied unrelenting smugness...

@JPM1

Sorry if you thought my reply was condescending. Certainly wasn't meant to be overtly so - just banter. I am for example an ex media student myself, but you are not to know that I guess! The smileys weren't sarcastic. Anyhoo sorry if my drunken posts caused offence - it has been know in the past. :( I did absolutely mean what I said about art by the way.

Just watched this weeks; good episode I thought, and it was nice to have extra characters interacting with our duo.

I've been lovin' this. Creeping up on me like a good mugger.